Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am
jens wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:50 pm I would say that the problem with the Valhalla reverbs tends to be - and I think this can lead to a fundamental misconception - that they include several partly quite different "machines" under the hood that always use the same generic interface - and while some parameters sometimes change drastically under this hood, you still need to use a certain combination of parameter settings to approach what they are supposed to aim at... so I think what they lack is a graphical indication for each parameter that shows you the suggested range for each algo... a "ballpark ring" so to say...

Sean mentioned many repective suggestions in his blog and elsewhere but who's going to recall all that when it comes to it?

So to me they always seem a bit like a racing car with the brakes on...
I personally find the interfaces to be horrible. Ugly, toy-like. Biggest issue for me is they alway sound so plastic and smeared... Not for me the Valhalla stuff. I'm sure it's perfect for what a lot of people are looking for tho, everyone seems to like them
I love the Valhalla interfaces! So efficient and easy to use. I find the sound superb too. World class plugins at a great price.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 pmFor the record, I think their delay is particularly offensive sounding :-D
For the record, I find the Valhalla delay to be amazing sounding.

jens wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:04 pm
mholloway wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:58 pm Like many here, I grew up in the 80s, so perhaps the digital-verb sound is just "correct" to my ears :P But I also find the streamlined control set of VVV preferable to Valhalla Room, which has two "pages" and, while indeed great sounding, requires a bit more tinkering.
Yes, I grew up in the 80's too, however I almost always prefer V³ set to 1970s color - even the 1980s setting usually sounds too clean and bright for my taste...
VVV and 70's has such a lovely grainy tone... works really well in a variety of cases.

One is for spaces, and the other is for reverb units, so I have Idea why people are comparing the two, and it was a mistake to put chaos in V3 when it obviously belongs in the “natural space” reverb.

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:26 pm One is for spaces, and the other is for reverb units, so I have Idea why people are comparing the two, and it was a mistake to put chaos in V3 when it obviously belongs in the “natural space” reverb.
Since you've got everything figured out, write Sean Costello an e-mail and inform him about his "obvious" mistake.
Last edited by mholloway on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbl post

When he released chaos into v3 I did say something. Maybe people should listen to someone who knows what he is talking about, instead of influencers.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 am This has been done to death, I know. However, I recently did a trial of the Lexicon Reverb package and it blew me away. They are the best, most dense, useful reverbs I have tried yet.

I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.

Anyone else have a differing opinion or other recommendations? I keep having the Valhalla stuff suggested to me, but I hated the sound.
Reverbs are overused and overrated at times, you're really not supposed to hear them when their working properly in most situations. If you're looking for distinctive, lush and noticeable ones, then there are plenty to choose from, even free ones.

@cancel culture. That depends on what you hear. What sounds good to you. There are many out there that will tell you that Ubermod was his best reverb. But, from a physics standpoint, does it not make common sense to add chaos to a natural spaces reverb over a vintage reverb unit emulation? It is just common sense to me. He has stated out loud he would like to do better with room. It’s still in my rack tho. Almost guaranteed it was done for sales purposes. People were buying v3 at the time.

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:51 pm @cancel culture. That depends on what you hear. What sounds good to you. There are many out there that will tell you that Ubermod was his best reverb. But, from a physics standpoint, does it not make common sense to add chaos to a natural spaces reverb over a vintage reverb unit emulation? It is just common sense to me. He has stated out loud he would like to do better with room. It’s still in my rack tho. Almost guaranteed it was done for sales purposes. People were buying v3 at the time.
What you hear, should be an illusion of space (room) that your sound or instrument lives in, that was their initial purpose. But, that shouldn't stop someone from using it more creatively or artistically.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:44 pm
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 am This has been done to death, I know. However, I recently did a trial of the Lexicon Reverb package and it blew me away. They are the best, most dense, useful reverbs I have tried yet.

I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.

Anyone else have a differing opinion or other recommendations? I keep having the Valhalla stuff suggested to me, but I hated the sound.
Reverbs are overused and overrated at times, you're really not supposed to hear them when their working properly in most situations. If you're looking for distinctive, lush and noticeable ones, then there are plenty to choose from, even free ones.
Your first statement is correct. The lexicon reverbs I can make disappear, yet still place an instrument where I want it to be

CCC you need 2Caudio in your life, just a hint. I would personally love a room update. He can do better, he has learned a lot, and I half expect it.

2C audio is gorgeous, but lack of updates is depressing.
I refuse to use them because of it, and i have everything except Kaleidoscope.

I love you ploki, but I’m kind of looking for more stable software at this moment, and if you are using impulses, it does not matter, and the 2C algorithmics are beautiful as is (as is lexis) . Room needs an update, he can do better, I would highly respect him for it, and I already am a fan.

Ploki wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:19 pm 2C audio is gorgeous, but lack of updates is depressing.
I refuse to use them because of it, and i have everything except Kaleidoscope.
Haha, we should merge our plugin folders:
I have Kaleidoscope and nothing else...

Return to “Effects”