Fathom Development Thread (GUI Designer Released)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RPH
KVRian
1284 posts since 21 Nov, 2005 from The Netherlands

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks for the calculation, good to keep in mind.

Yeah, think you are right about the signalflow. It indeed would be nice if we could reorganize internally or have the components separately. It would make it even more powerful. That would mean we need more space, or some zoom facility built in (like synthmaker/flowstone for example). I did ask for more room to place stuff early in the development of Fathon, but that wasn’t picked up by Everett.
http://rhmodules.nl
http://syntheditforum.boards.net/
-------------------------------------

KVRAF
4306 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:04 pm

I went to install this the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see I had already installed it some months back.

I'm not really in to new synths. I don't need them. I don't want them. I have a few shortlisted to buy in the future, but I'm in no hurry. I'm still getting a lot of mileage out of old gems like Octopus and Albino and Harmor and Sytrus. Don't really need much more. Don't need any more distractions.

But I liked the look of Fathom and was intrigued by the 'demo' of it just being mono. Genius. I can go with that. If that's true, then it's a very workable solution for a decent demo. I see the pricing structure is also very logical with the intro price of 25 bucks for the 'full' version, but 125 bucks for an 'enhanced' version. Makes sense. When you really get in to using it and need a bit more oomph that the AVX instructions provide, you can plump for the 'Gentleman's Edition' of the plug in, kind of thing. Lots of other benefits as well.

So I fire the synth up and I'm faced with what is probably the most gorgeous GUI I've encountered. Let's see how easy it is to make a new preset, save it, reload it. Does it work?

Oh yeah. Took me a while to figure out because my eyesight is a bit off at the moment and I just kind of missed it. But it was there. And it worked perfectly. This is kind of the main and most important criteria for me with a new synth. I put up with all kinds of nonsense from old faves like SQ8L that don't remember the presets on recall in Ableton Live (what a nighmare that is!), but for a new synth, this is a must.

Making up the preset was super easy. So much information presented so efficiently. Super powerful. I was waiting for a catch. I got something fairly complex going quite quickly and I'm no sound designer. On top of that it was really fun and a different kind of paradigm to what I'm used to with other synths. It was more like operating the modular routing system on a DAW, like Energy XT2.

So much power on offer and so quick to put it all together. All wrapped up in a top of the class GUI design. I'm going to be buying the Pro version soon. https://www.fathomsynth.com/buy

Then I'll probably get the Vector version later.

This thing sounds out of this world good. It's super quick to program. It straddles the line between old familiar concepts to anyone who has programmed a synth before, with new futuristic and streamlined operation. I'm still waiting for the catch.

Then I found out you can change the GUI and the ones provided look really great. I don't know who is designing this, but it's a level above everything else out there to my eyes (and brain). I can honestly say I've not had a synth grab me so much in the last few years. The dev seems pretty cool as well, wanting to create something amazing but accessible. The presets were very good but I didn't dig deep. I'd like to see what other people who know what they are doing can come up with.

Very tweakable, very quick, very fun, sounding great.

I wouldn't even care if it wasn't the best sounding thing on the planet - the user experience is such a joy - but it's not lacking in that department either.

My time is very limited these days. I know what I like.

I like to take the time to revisit old classics like Octopus and Spectral and all the rest. Any new synth has to bring something really special to the table. So far, I really can't fault this synth at all.

The low price of the Pro version allows me to buy in quickly to the ecosystem. And when I start using it in earnest (which I'm sure I will) that 100 + bucks will seem like a bargain to get the best out of this little monster beauty.

This is a very unique kind of synth, both in its design and its look. It's not trying too hard. It's not trying to be something it's not. It knows what it is but doesn't flaunt it. It's understated, even. Everything says you a dealing with something of serious class here.

That is my initial impression anyway.

Usually with these types of things (and I've played with a few) you connect stuff up and it either doesn't work or it sounds horrible. I get the impression a lot of hard work has gone in to this stuff making sense when the end user hooks things up (even an idiot like me that doesn't know what he's doing). Very drastic changes can be made quite quickly. It just makes a lot of sense to someone with a bit of programming experience (ok, I'm not a total idiot).

I have to admit the GUI was what drew me in to this synth in the first place. But every step of the way on the journey I keep getting that little bit of 'something' that puts a smile on my face. It might be the sounds, it might be the interface, it might even be the pricing structure!

I'm basing all of this on just a few hours spent playing with it. But it's already made my Top 10 of all time greatest synths ever! And that's a tight squeeze.

It's a tough call, but I can't remember ever coming across a synth that made it so quickly in to the hall of fame along side such classics as Albino and Harmor.

I'm going to be making some time to get to know this one better after I buy the Pro version. I'll probably make some skins too and maybe even attempt some patches. It inspires passion.

For anyone who had this fly over their RADAR: give it another whirl, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Oh, it's available for PC as well as Mac, too!

So there is that...

:party:

KVRAF
7999 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:04 pm
I went to install this the other day and was pleasantly surprised

Oh, it's available for PC as well as Mac, too!

So there is that...

:party:
It works fine in several linux-wine-reaper setups I use, so there's that also...
Hints at excellent coding if you ask me :hihi:
Fathom :party: indeed...

All one fathom preset:
DancingWithMissPoly.mp3.zip

I'm buyin an i9 when someone finally someone shoots that :dog: groundhog :dog:
:hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian

Topic Starter

1489 posts since 25 Mar, 2017

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 pm

I have not been back to the thread in a while but I came back to announce the latest Fathom Vector release. Wow, what a pleasant surprise to read Codec's review. Many thanks for your kind words. Fathom appreciates it very much. It is always so rewarding to hear when Fathom is functioning as designed for musicians obsessed with sound design.

The latest release 3.3 is now available on the web site.
For Fathom Pro this is just a few bug fixes.
But for Fathom Vector a major new feature has been added with the new GUI Designer.

There are some screenshots here showing the power of the GUI Designer.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/news

KVRist
289 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:16 pm

Does any version of fathom work with the new apple silicon mac's?
I couldn't find any mention of big sur in this thread or on the website.
Win 10, Bitwig 3.2.2, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

KVRAF
1800 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:32 am

GUI Designer, wow! I like the Tolex design the most.

KVRAF
5420 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 am

Kypresso wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:16 pm
Does any version of fathom work with the new apple silicon mac's?
I couldn't find any mention of big sur in this thread or on the website.
First I would like to know if the vector enhancements work on mac. I left Fathom in my virtual drawer for a while. The non avx versions had been too heavy on my 10-core Mac Pro...

RPH
KVRian

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 pm

There are some screenshots here showing the power of the GUI Designer.
Awesome, some really sweet colors there. Thanks!

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:26 pm

Ok, glad u like the default skins. You can create your own, up to 16 presets, and share them.

Sorry, Mac Xcode will not compile C++ AVX code so there is no intel acceleration on Mac. But Mac still has metamorphic oscillator.

KVRAF
7999 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 pm
I have not been back to the thread in a while...
If it were NFL football, the score would be:

Fathom-Dedication-Confidence-Results 42
Chatter.............................................3

NI and the like should watch :scared: and learn :hyper:

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Haha, I assure you no one will be learning from this project unless they want to know how not to run a company. If you mean just looking at fathom itself as a product, yes, that could be useful.

A couple years ago there was a big fiasco, which we can’t talk about here, and most everyone here on kvr pretty much disowned me, including essentially every review site. Which is why you will almost never hear about fathom outside this thread and a couple other threads, despite fathoms massive features. Fortunately fathom’s cult following and a few faithful users and serious sound designers keep it going.

One problem was that someone started a thread saying the project was done which of course was bs. But kvr froze that thread before I had a chance to respond. But they keep the thread visible and frozen so thousands of ppl think fathom is on the verge of extinction even though there is years worth of dev still planed.

Also when ppl constantly complain here about the update process it makes the project look bad to new users who then pass on it.

The single biggest hit we took recently was the thread on fathom’s sound. I’ve had literally thousands of ppl write to me telling me fathom has the best sound of any synth they ever owned but a single user ended that thread saying he thought the sound was substandard. Then no one responded and now the end of that thread is the only thing ppl see if they search kvr for fathom’s sound.

So the bottom line is that kvr provides a massive power for marketing a good product but it also provides a very easy mechanism for one or two users to kill a project.

I was thinking of releasing fathom vector here on kvr to make a completely fresh start but it’s just too risky if a single user or thread can kill that product as well so I decided to just keep vector safe and grow it slowly and privately.

Fortunately I am infinitely stubborn and will continue to add features to fathom for years to come for our serious users long after the entire industry has forgotten about us.

Anyway, needed to get that off my chest.

So, as you can see no one will be copying fathom’s product strategy anytime soon unless they only look at the instrument itself.

KVRAF
2340 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:25 pm

It's a fine instrument. Keep it rolling!!! :clap:

And several months ago I went ahead and purchased the film score bundle to get some more Fathom sounds. I like to see what others have done to design sounds. Very inspiring!
Windows 10; instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom Pro, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginBoutique, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN, others.

KVRist
178 posts since 13 May, 2004 from Italy

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:29 am

Hi Everett,
maybe today I am a little confused, but I don't find the link to download the update, the site seems to me a little bit confusing.
Where is located Fathom Vector 3.03 download?
Thanks
Luciano

EDIT: my bad, I have just bought the update; thank you Everett for your piece of art.By the way, may we have a Vst3 version? Please!

RPH
KVRian

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 pm

The single biggest hit we took recently was the thread on fathom’s sound. I’ve had literally thousands of ppl write to me telling me fathom has the best sound of any synth they ever owned but a single user ended that thread saying he thought the sound was substandard. Then no one responded and now the end of that thread is the only thing ppl see if they search kvr for fathom’s sound.
Strange, when I do a quick search here on those keywords am getting zero results.
FathomSynth wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 pm
So the bottom line is that kvr provides a massive power for marketing a good product but it also provides a very easy mechanism for one or two users to kill a project.
Hmm, with great power comes great responsibilities.. KVR..
It's odd how some random comment can do that, by just demoing Fathom anyone can hear it's quality..

KVRAF
1792 posts since 10 Apr, 2002 from Poissy, France

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 am

Kvr is not so evil :lol:
Your synth is on par with the big names (U-he, Synapse, TAL ...), so set the price accordingly and everything will be fine :love:
Rework your web site again, this second version is better but not on par
Update your Youtube channel frequently

Return to “Instruments”