Is there any TAL-MOD competitor? (+ share your TAL-MOD theme(s))

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm tempted to buy tal-mod because I need (want?) a one paged, nice sounding, low cpu synth for my arsenal. I'm not so much into soft-synth nowadays so I might missed one. I have Aalto and Zebra² just to rule them out :D Windows user here and low-budget pricing are appreciated.

And while we are at it. plz post your fav theme of Tal-Mod (it's a beauty so why not :D)
rabbit in a hole

u-he ACE comes to mind.

Try out the demo if you haven't already and make that call yourself.

But if you want me to decide for you I'd say its a no brainer. It's simple yet incredibly versatile and the customer support is incredible. TAL is super responsive when it comes to fixing bugs and implementing feature requests.

As for the theme, I'm boring, my favorite is the default grey. haha

I wouldn't exactly call TAL-MOD low CPU, it can definitely use the CPU. Not like Diva, but it's not Synth1 either :)

I prefer Bazille over TAL-Mod when it comes to Synths with Cables. Plus you get all the FM / Phase-mod goodness, while still retaining a core 'subtractive' structure (e.g. filter-based, if you want it....)

Bazille is basically an FM / Phase-modulation modular synth that can do a great job of pretending to be a subtractive synth.

And I like its interface / cables a lot more than TAL-mods, which I find very clunky.

Well, they're a bit apples to oranges. TAL-MOD is more akin to ACE than Bazille, since TAL-MOD is really more about proper analog subtractive synthesis rather than a FM/PD semi-modular beast.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:07 pm Well, they're a bit apples to oranges. TAL-MOD is more akin to ACE than Bazille, since TAL-MOD is really more about proper analog subtractive synthesis rather than a FM/PD semi-modular beast.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Fernando (FMR)

I feel TAL MOD is cleaner than Bazille, which I want to gain an HQ+ mode.

If you want low budget then you could try a copy of Beat magazine and grab Beatzille, a cut down version of Bazille (everything roughly halved, 2 oscs instead of 4 etc).

Sure, more PD/FM than pure analog but sounds bloody great imo, lovely filter, lots of interesting presets etc.

I'm biased towards TAL-Mod. It just sounds richer and "heavier" to me. And I find the GUI very elegant.

mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm I prefer Bazille over TAL-Mod when it comes to Synths with Cables. Plus you get all the FM / Phase-mod goodness, while still retaining a core 'subtractive' structure (e.g. filter-based, if you want it....)

Bazille is basically an FM / Phase-modulation modular synth that can do a great job of pretending to be a subtractive synth.

And I like its interface / cables a lot more than TAL-mods, which I find very clunky.
plus phase distortion on bbazille
Which means you will have a bloody hard time doing pulse width modulation and osc sync on bazille .
Two totally different synth , both sound great , depending on your needs
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I was on the fence with Tal-Mod, but then I could do what I wanted to do in the Grid... The Grid is a tough competition to any modular, but only if your main DAW is Bitwig...

Roland Cloud Sh-2 and JX-3P - i was able to rebuild the roland cloud patches in mod and they sound the same

The jx3p has a certain sync mode that is missing on talmod ( Talmod has only hardsync ), so it can’t sound 100% the same .
When it comes to the grid , imho Talmod clearly has the upper hand when it comes to sound , it oozes character .
The grid always sounded kinda plastic to me.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 pmWhich means you will have a bloody hard time doing pulse width modulation and osc sync on bazille .
Hummm, using Fractalize basically gives you hardsync (windowed). It sounds pretty great!

PWM is indeed trickier to achieve in Bazille, but are you Nick Batt? :P

EDIT: Actually Bazille manual mentions a rather easy way to get PWM. Set a modmapper to 2 steps, where first step is -100 and the other +100, in an oscillator set PD parameters to Saw, Same and TapMap1 (if you used modmapper 1), and then adjust PD knob.

Return to “Instruments”