Follow the Sun Feat. Veela

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been a while since i shared some music. So here you go, another vocal track.

https://soundcloud.com/halonmusic/sunbe ... iginal-mix

Vocals are by Veela (Siren by Veela Vocal Pack)

Enjoy!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Well done. The vocal pack works well, though I would have preferred the vocals to be more up front. But then maybe if they were it would have sounded like a vocal pack. The way you recorded this, it doesn't. So kudos.

:tu:

Thank you Steven. Yes mixing vocals isn't my strong suit. I will try and approve on that in the future. Thanks for the listen! :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

killer retro sounds galore! great track, HAL. got me groovin. :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thank you Layzer! Appreciate it :tu:

I agree that the vocals lack something, sound trebley on some parts. E.g. at 3:31 the voice is buried in synths. I'm no expert, far from it, but I'd say that there is some problem on the lower mids.

These are small mixing problems I guess. I like the tune. It has a good vibe.

Note: If this level of feedback is NOT for you...just let me know and I'll ignore your tracks in future...no offence will be taken at all...

I've now listened to this 4 times... I love the overall vibe and tight, slick groove created by all the parts syncing together very effectively + the vocal pack has (despite it's obvious creative limitations and over-processed basic state*) been used very appropriately.

But something just 'bugged' me about all each time and it took me a while to sort out what it was exactly...Just opinion, obviously...deep breath....

Yeah, the vocals ain't perfect - touch too thin / buried in the mix at times + quite sibilant (probably the reverb settings..usually is, but could just be the original recording)

But other things for me intrude on the overall track much more significantly...

1) That opening pad sound...sustained single note F#...
a) It's over-used for me and should maybe stop when the vocal enters as they fight each other a little bit at times.
b) It's also very dominant across the mix - personally I would tame it both in terms of width and some trimming with EQ.
c) The pulsing effect that it uses every 8 beats becomes quite intrusive for me after a while and detracts from the groove somewhat.

2) Intro cowbell...
I would save any cowbell use for full sections only...sticks out too much for me in such a quiet bit?

3) Reverb
Everything is just too washed with it for me....
a) Mushes everything together so that individual sounds lose a little clarity.
b) Makes the whole mix seem a little bit 'flat'.

4) Synth Sounds in general...
You've used a lot of what I would describe as big, lush, rich sounds...ones that can really dominate a mix. I think that some of them need a little tidying up via EQ so that crossover between them is more controlled...would give the mix more clarity and solidity.

Without doubt, it's a good listen, but I think it could be presented with significantly better clarity and attention to detail.

*Recorded with a Neuman TLM103 and processed with gear from Universal Audio for analog warmth such as Studer A800, Empirical Labs Fatso, LA2A compressor, EMT250, Valhalla Room, Harrison 32C EQ, SSL E Channel Strip, Manley Massive Passive EQ...etc
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

rafa1981 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm I agree that the vocals lack something, sound trebley on some parts. E.g. at 3:31 the voice is buried in synths. I'm no expert, far from it, but I'd say that there is some problem on the lower mids.

These are small mixing problems I guess. I like the tune. It has a good vibe.
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 pm Note: If this level of feedback is NOT for you...just let me know and I'll ignore your tracks in future...no offence will be taken at all...

I've now listened to this 4 times... I love the overall vibe and tight, slick groove created by all the parts syncing together very effectively + the vocal pack has (despite it's obvious creative limitations and over-processed basic state*) been used very appropriately.

But something just 'bugged' me about all each time and it took me a while to sort out what it was exactly...Just opinion, obviously...deep breath....

Yeah, the vocals ain't perfect - touch too thin / buried in the mix at times + quite sibilant (probably the reverb settings..usually is, but could just be the original recording)

But other things for me intrude on the overall track much more significantly...

1) That opening pad sound...sustained single note F#...
a) It's over-used for me and should maybe stop when the vocal enters as they fight each other a little bit at times.
b) It's also very dominant across the mix - personally I would tame it both in terms of width and some trimming with EQ.
c) The pulsing effect that it uses every 8 beats becomes quite intrusive for me after a while and detracts from the groove somewhat.

2) Intro cowbell...
I would save any cowbell use for full sections only...sticks out too much for me in such a quiet bit?

3) Reverb
Everything is just too washed with it for me....
a) Mushes everything together so that individual sounds lose a little clarity.
b) Makes the whole mix seem a little bit 'flat'.

4) Synth Sounds in general...
You've used a lot of what I would describe as big, lush, rich sounds...ones that can really dominate a mix. I think that some of them need a little tidying up via EQ so that crossover between them is more controlled...would give the mix more clarity and solidity.

Without doubt, it's a good listen, but I think it could be presented with significantly better clarity and attention to detail.

*Recorded with a Neuman TLM103 and processed with gear from Universal Audio for analog warmth such as Studer A800, Empirical Labs Fatso, LA2A compressor, EMT250, Valhalla Room, Harrison 32C EQ, SSL E Channel Strip, Manley Massive Passive EQ...etc
Thank you for the detailed post, appreciate it. I'm going to take notes for sure. Anyway i suppose i rushed this one a bit to be honest, so i have been a bit neglectful when it comes to mixing and so on. This is certainly something im going to work on in the future.Thank you very much :)

Return to “Music Cafe”