Cherry Audio releases massive new Eight Voice synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arashi wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 am Yes. It's what I do for a living.
Oh then you know that people get paid for their work and then that cost is passed on to the price of the product.
Arashi wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 amNo, that wasn't my point at all. Forget about OB-E.
No no you can't move the goal posts now. I responded to this:
Arashi wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:29 pm OB-E has an "Offset" link mode that preserves offsets while editing all modules. I don't know how this one shipped without it,
I'm telling you a reason why it shipped without your favorite feature....it costs five times less.
Arashi wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 amThis is a forum. People are here to discuss pros and cons of things and not all of it will be of interest to you.
I am discussing the pros and cons of your feature request and telling you my feature request would be for a better GUI whether that interests you or not.

But then I remember it's a $29 synth and realize complaining about anything is silly. Notice all the great patches that shipped with the product? They were made without your "link mode that preserves offsets" and with the GUI that bothers me so maybe we should just learn to enjoy the plugin for what it is...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bought VM and vst without demoing. Will try it out later but I have no idea how the hardware sounds. Also dont care if it sounds nothing like the hardware if I like the sound.

I heard a great quote the other day...."Some people see the Roses....other people only see the Thorns 8) .
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Having an offset to the linked value is very unlikely to be a difficult thing to code, if the original code isn't written in some godawful way. It's almost assuredly a relatively simple fix.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 am I heard a great quote the other day...."Some people see the Roses....other people only see the Thorns 8) .
Thorn is an excellent synth too!

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 am I heard a great quote the other day...."Some people see the Roses....other people only see the Thorns 8) .
some people see the roses, the stems, the leaves, and the thorns :)

and I am selling my DS Thorn (since I got Hive2 - is there another garden metaphor for synths)

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 am Having an offset to the linked value is very unlikely to be a difficult thing to code, if the original code isn't written in some godawful way. It's almost assuredly a relatively simple fix.
Keywords there ? "unlikely" and "almost assuredly". :wink:

Probably wouldn't have been hard to make a 16 or 32 step sequencer or add a traditional Arp since they have a rack module already but they didn't. Those would get my vote long before "offset to the linked value".

Again we don't all get the features we want in a $29 plugin and we don't all want the same thing so....

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 am I am selling my DS Thorn (since I got Hive2
Two great synths with completely different character. I wouldn't part with either one. :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 am
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 am I am selling my DS Thorn (since I got Hive2
Two great synths with completely different character. I wouldn't part with either one. :tu:
I wont be sad if it doesn't sell :hihi:

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 am Having an offset to the linked value is very unlikely to be a difficult thing to code, if the original code isn't written in some godawful way. It's almost assuredly a relatively simple fix.
And provides the significant benefit of being able to make global adjustments after dialing in per-voice offsets. Seems like low hanging fruit to me — an easy way to make a good synth even better.
Stormchild

The current linking mode f**ks synth patches up in no time (for people tweaking presets they liked the sound of), and programming patches in linked mode simply doesn't sound good until the very last step when you un-link and start adding voice variation.

I'm not finding any use to it, besides temporarily activating it to e.g. switch from poly to unison on all 8 voices simultaneously, then immediately back to un-linked mode.

The advantage of moving 8 knobs at once is trumped by the fact of having to go back in any case to tweak all 8 knobs and restore variation everytime. A time-saving feature which doesn't save time.
So for me it has been un-linked mode always, for the authentic Eight Voice experience I guess :drunk:

Linking voices and preserving relative offset is basically the standard of how every synth featuring voice variation works, wether they let the user edit voices individually (like Obsession), or have those offsets fixed and hidden (like Repro).

Anyway, the price is super low, it sounds fine, it has an unique workflow.
I'm likely buying it and pretend the linking mode isn't even there.

Like maybe it could be a feature request, and hope for the best. Still, how on earth did they make all their presets, if it is so impossible to get over this?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Well, nobody ever said it was impossible :wink:

All those presets were either programmed in unlinked mode, or in linked mode adding voice variation as a final touch, or a mix of both. Nothing impossible, just less practical than having a relative mode like in other polysynths.

And I've mainly brought that up from the perspective of the "preset maker", but my question would actually be: considering the "preset-user" as highly unlikely to want to operate the 8 SEMs individually, how exactly is he/she supposed to tweak those nice sounding presets in linked mode without ruining them within the first 10 seconds? Now that's actually much closer to "impossible", especially if the oscillators are touched.
All of which definitely and simply wouldn't happen with the "relative offset" voice linking mode.

Seems like this has gone from being an incredible synth to just this super cheap synth we shouldn’t expect too much from. Great case for OB-E for people that are serious about synths and can afford it.

Cherry Audio makes good stuff and is generally responsive to feedback, so IMO it’s perfectly reasonable to discuss ways in which the workflow could be improved. I don’t see why there needs to be any drama about it.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”