Cherry Audio releases massive new Eight Voice synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:00 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:40 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:26 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm For those who claim that price should not be a factor in suggesting improvements, let me give you a perfect example of why you're just plain wrong.

You go into a supermarket and there are 2 rolls of toilet paper. One costs 10 cents for the roll and the other costs 50 cents for the roll. You buy the cheaper one and find that it's hard and sandpaper like. You write to the company suggesting that they make the toilet paper softer and that would make it better. They respond by telling you that if they did that, they would have to raise the price. So if you want the toilet paper at this price, then it is what it is.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand this?

You get what you pay for, and sometimes not even. And yes, in some cases, you get more than what you paid for it. But don't expect a $29 synth to have the features and sound of a $129 synth. It is NOT going to happen except in very rare instances.
This is a ridiculous comparison. There is no manufacturing of any kind involved in the plugin. Its a code change to something *they already have*.
You don't necessarily disagree with him though with that assessment. If you say that it's a code change to something they already have then, well, you get what you paid for, basically.
No I don't agree with him at all. He said "But don't expect a $29 synth to have the features and sound of a $129 synth.". Why not? GForce decided to charge $155 (not 129..its in British Pounds) for whatever reason they did. Maybe their volume is low enough that they need that pricing. Cherry has a much larger catalog. Maybe thats why they chose the $29 price point. Who knows. But his statement is wrong.

But in the particular case Arashi was talking about they already have the linked mode so its a small change to do what he's talking about. Its not like retooling manufacturing for a different kind of paper. Now whether they decided to do it or not is a totally different story. But this desire by some on here to act like this would be moving mountains in time or cost simply have no clue what they're talking about. I've been fortunate enough to have both worked in manufacturing of various kinds and in software development. There is no similarity at all. There is nothing wrong with suggesting updates here regardless of what the cost is.
As a software developer (before I retired) I can tell you that the amount of time that's needed to put into coding anything CAN be astronomical.

The truth is, you have NO idea how long it would take Cherry Audio to make all the changes that people here have suggested, with I'm sure more to come. That means man hours. Time is money, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. When i coded, some things I was told NOT to do because it was NOT cost efficient.

That is the reality of our business that you don't seem to want to acknowledge at all.
very strange opinion. surge is a good example, free, and great. dexed.
the money does not matter.

and i know a software developer that overhauled his VST instrument within a weekend, to make it fully MPE, it took that long, because of how bitwig calls, every minute, the preset state..
diving into bitwig it took, for the developer.

cost of that vst instrument: €40 in sale, €60 normal.

what he has done, in his own time, next to his job, he improved his instrument with many new features, new possibilities, he even overhauled it's basic "engine". no charge.

what a vst instrument cost is totally irrelevant.

kv331 Synthmaster 2 is another example, mostly about $29, the latest version, is a complete redesign, or complete, almost complete... an example most people on KVR will know of.

for free! yes version 3, will cost you. but the changes made in the latest version; it seems already 3 version, and it took time.

but if you code right, in an orderly fashion, for yourself as a developer.

this is the strangest discussion.

yes i own a VST instrument that costs €249, a niche thing.

and i own, in the similair synthesis domain, a VST instrument, that costed me €18... in a sale.. the last one, are still improving that version. and it already was much improved, before i bought it.

there are coders, or teams, that work very slow, there are coders that can work very fast (not only because of JUCE), but because you know, even if it is 15.000 lines, and it can reprogram itself... where everything is, and you build your debugger, and it can be used by users as a debugger...

take a look at Cypher 2, finally the most bugs gone, but window has closed, too many projects... swamped.. great synth by the way, and only €50... if you know the ways..

there are DAW's that have bugs for years, big teams, lot of programmers, perhaps even more managers.... (and that..), they can resolve it, i think they like too, sometimes you can hear one silently scream.. but... progress, new features. updates.. and yes i own those DAW's.

expensive, but sometimes a bugfix, costs you an update, and now you think, do you see what i mean, no you don't; all major DAW's, are almost all, there are exceptions; the strategy, features that are already ready a half year before launch, could easily made as an update for the existing version, or features! fixes, better integration of 'stuff'. etc. things you expect in maintenance updates.. but they come with features in a new version...

coding; i have had always the feeling; programming, yes you can learn it, but to be good programmer; talent, experience, indeed study, but talent! there aren't that many good programmers, enough, but surrounded by.. o well..

but that is not the main problem: managers...

Cherry Audio manage their own stuff. no overhead, no stockholders. and make the plugins cheap, so, attractive to buy. great strategy.

does that mean, you can't be critical, or say this isn't right; they did improved the CA2600, they try to improve VM, it works, but still... and i use VM a lot, a lot.

prices can also be shiny, if it is expensive it is good, if it is inexpensive it can't be good?
sometimes pricetags are quite extreme, yes that VST instrument for €249... and it is a niche thing, and not avenger, or omnisphere, that can do a lot. it can only do.... but what i can, it can do...
still you can question the pricing policy, even users that love the program, do it.

DS thorn, €18, knifononium (do i spell it right), €18, LION, €18, oberhausen, €18.
yes the half year, or year before, the price is much higher. i only paid for LION, a amount bigger, than you expect for a PA plugin, but hey it is unfiltered audio, by the way, there plugins, before they joined PA, where pretty cheap, writes someone here, on KVR.

NI: komplete, with the right road, except for the price of a maschine mk3; cheap! per instrument!
arturia, cheap per instrument, cheaper than cherry audio... (bought JUP-8 V4, as upgrade from collection, for €14, and still have V3.. so cheaper than cherry audio.... yes arturia has another game, that covers their income, the collection.. and seperate instruments.. so.. not quite a good analogy, but still...).

you now that you can buy affinity photo for around $30 (i bought it for €29 or so), the latest update, massive.. free...

so pricing strategy, depends on???

Vital is also a nice example... how does that work, mytell, listens, of course, he wants a good product. you can get it free, subscription, plus or pro. and the 'open source' variant, isn't that open source, but still...

also cherry audio wants that, that there products are good.

there are more examples of great instruments that are available at very low prices, Glitchmachines for examples, also their effects; they depend on their soundpacks and other things.

and bulk!

is G-Force really worth the price? is audio damage quanta really worth $100 (in sale around €40...).

you must know about the madness of price; eventide, is also a good example, if you sit tight, cheap. the normal price...

there are no normal prices in ITB land.

and cherry audio has to compete with oberhausen, SEM V3, and synapse? mmmh that is another synth..

cherry has to compete with arturia. and other great forces for emulations.

this is there strategy, does that mean, cheap, so don't expect a synth that outguns G-Force one?

strange opinion. i would glad build an emulation that outguns the best emulation, and give it away for free.. if i could do DSP development, hahaha. no talent for it.

curious, in what field where you a software developer, because their are a lot of fields.

in a way your opinion does not seem strange, but we all now; put a brand on it, it doubles, or more the price; coca-cola. i buy the cheapest cola... 3 bottles for the price of one coca-cola bottle. yes, there overhead... and stockholders, and more...

or rebranding, the same thing cheaper... (not illegal rebranding, rebranding is quite old, the same thing cheaper, exactly the same thing, but with another name... not always cheaper by the way, but most of the times. all oled screens are made by LG, in a way rebranding.
philips does not make tv's, yes there are philips monitors/tv's. they licensed their name, philips has turned in some kind of stockholder company, with only real one main core businnes, health care, equipment..)

hee TL;DR! i am back, and quite uninteresting. i am. gladly.

@ramseysounds; this is KVR! strangely, why do i care? give me insights into spectral synthesis, give me algorithms, knowledge, music.

the last time i will reply, the KVR way! i promiss! like a politician!
Last edited by WasteLand on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm Unbelievable. How can a thread be derailed so quickly and so absurdly? I wonder what Dan @ cherryaudio thinks about all the moronic comments on here?

I bought it without demoing, based on the quality of the DCO106 and for $29 I think its an awesome sounding synth and a steal at the price. I couldn’t give a sh1t if it has this or that and its not a 100% replica of the original. If it sounds good and makes you creative, then so what? For those unsure, try the demo before buying. Jeez :dog:
glad you like it! that is the way to go; take it as is, what i can do for you. still, if there is room for improvement, why not ask cherry audio? if someone owns it. in the end, you will profit from it.

all developers get e-mails, about... it is normal.. or you can create a great VST, abandon it, you can still buy it, it works, but bugs; you can't contact the developer anymore...
i knew about this case, so i take the bugs.

but shift again to the Eight Voice, which, as SEM fanatic.. (o well, me like the sound very much..), will not buy, because i will go for the modules.... even with their limitations... for a module...

it's like reading Yoda....

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm Unbelievable. How can a thread be derailed so quickly and so absurdly?
+1

Hard to enjoy this release.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm Unbelievable. How can a thread be derailed so quickly and so absurdly? I wonder what Dan @ cherryaudio thinks about all the moronic comments on here?

I bought it without demoing, based on the quality of the DCO106 and for $29 I think its an awesome sounding synth and a steal at the price. I couldn’t give a sh1t if it has this or that and its not a 100% replica of the original. If it sounds good and makes you creative, then so what? For those unsure, try the demo before buying. Jeez :dog:
And you're absolutely right about that. :)

no WinXP support, i cant use it, my obxd still gets me by for obi sounds, however.
kudos to cherry for putting an amazing price on it, should sell by the truck loads.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

AnX wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:51 pm it's like reading Yoda....
i ám Yoda. :help:

... to link, or not to link

https://youtu.be/roT6fgza69o
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Cherry audio doesn’t outgun anyone ( except.when it comes to pricing ).
Middle of the road , cheap priced and usable plugins .
It’s a strategy that obviously works .
Certain ( well established) developers take years to perfect their emulations while cherry pops them out every few months .
Middle of the road plugs , nothing more nothing less.
Edit : the ob filter does sound pretty nice ( looks like it’s not coded by cherry )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I think that's a little unfair. I'd rate them as above average in terms of sound. They may not have the super-slick GUI of a U-He plugin or the incredible attention to detail of Synapse's emulations or the massive preset libraries people seem to expect these days but they are definitely better than "middle of the road".

Here's an interesting thought, let's compare apples to apples. First up, if you compare the sound of Eight Voice to that of bx_oberhausen, which can also regularly be had for $29, it requires a LOT more work to get it to sound anywhere near as good, especially for unison patches. Where bx_oberhausen has the TMT switch to fatten it up and make it all warm and fuzzy, Eight Voice requires you to go in and spend an inordinate amount of time doing it yourself. And after you've done all that, it still doesn't sound as good, even though you know it can if only you could get the offsets all right. It really does need some simple method of unlocking it's potential, like Brainworx's TMT switch or the "Analog" knob on Obsession. Without it, Cherry are selling their creation short because it is pretty damned good overall.

Another comparison I'd make is against Cherry's own CA2600 which, to my ears has a much more convincing sound. Eight Voice's presets sound great but when you try to make your own patches, again you have to work really hard to get it into the same ballpark as CA2600. I think DCO-106 is also a helluva lot easier to get good sounds from (which is a surprise, given that I've never rated anything Juno). (For the record, I don't like anything about Polymode.)

For now, I see Eight Voice as having a lot of potential but it absolutely needs some way of unlocking it. It has nothing to do with how much it is, because it's the same price as Cherry's other plugins, it is purely about making it easier to work with so that its full potential can be tapped. I'd happily pay double for it if they could implement a feature like that and make it work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

You might not give a shit but others do, thats the point man. Yeah its a great deal. That doesn't mean it can't be made better. And I'll be surprised if they don't.

what does toilet paper have to do with that ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I don't know where he lives but making a comparison of 10 cents or 50 cents a roll made me laugh. Here in the states it's more like $1 a roll. If you can find it! :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

but that was kinda a hint to change the subject :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I get a free roll of toilet paper with this purchase?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Return to “Instruments”