Cherry Audio releases massive new Eight Voice synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:39 am I think that's a little unfair. I'd rate them as above average in terms of sound. They may not have the super-slick GUI of a U-He plugin or the incredible attention to detail of Synapse's emulations or the massive preset libraries people seem to expect these days but they are definitely better than "middle of the road".

Here's an interesting thought, let's compare apples to apples. First up, if you compare the sound of Eight Voice to that of bx_oberhausen, which can also regularly be had for $29, it requires a LOT more work to get it to sound anywhere near as good, especially for unison patches. Where bx_oberhausen has the TMT switch to fatten it up and make it all warm and fuzzy, Eight Voice requires you to go in and spend an inordinate amount of time doing it yourself. And after you've done all that, it still doesn't sound as good, even though you know it can if only you could get the offsets all right. It really does need some simple method of unlocking it's potential, like Brainworx's TMT switch or the "Analog" knob on Obsession. Without it, Cherry are selling their creation short because it is pretty damned good overall.

Another comparison I'd make is against Cherry's own CA2600 which, to my ears has a much more convincing sound. Eight Voice's presets sound great but when you try to make your own patches, again you have to work really hard to get it into the same ballpark as CA2600. I think DCO-106 is also a helluva lot easier to get good sounds from (which is a surprise, given that I've never rated anything Juno). (For the record, I don't like anything about Polymode.)

For now, I see Eight Voice as having a lot of potential but it absolutely needs some way of unlocking it. It has nothing to do with how much it is, because it's the same price as Cherry's other plugins, it is purely about making it easier to work with so that its full potential can be tapped. I'd happily pay double for it if they could implement a feature like that and make it work.
Synapse's Obsession seems to do most of the sounds I'm after, and it gets me there faster than Eight Voice does. I guess I'll just have to wait for GForce OB-E windows ver :shrug:

zvenx wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:08 pm Some patches use a few modules only and only those are hilited (I don't see any solo enabled for them).
Any idea how that is done?
You can disable individual modules by turning off both the Keyboard and Sequencer switches.
Stormchild

When you set keyboard track off on a module, it will mute it and grey out.
zvenx wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:08 pm Some patches use a few modules only and only those are hilited (I don't see any solo enabled for them).
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.06.57 AM.jpg
thanks
rsp

Arashi wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm
You can disable individual modules by turning off both the Keyboard and Sequencer switches.

Ahh.. that's how..
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

r_sover wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm When you set keyboard track off on a module, it will mute it and grey out.
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.06.57 AM.jpg
thanks
rsp
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

perhaps, i am curious, this helps:

"We generally suggest using the 48 kHz default rate for best overall performance, but if you have the processor horsepower, feel free to try 96 kHz mode."

(found here: https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... e/settings

for the standalone version, of course within a DAW, it must be done via project settings. or oversampling, i think FL studio can do it. and some meta-plugins..)

helps for what; the 'dull' sound. if it exists. i can't judge it for myself.

fmr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:20 am But the concept is there - EIGHT INDEPENDENT sound modules, each of which which we can program the way we like. And we have a lot of extras thatr only software can give us. All this for $29?... I couldn't be happier :D
This comment tipped me to buy the synth. I concede that the Eight Voice doesn't sound as nice as OB-E but its workflow (being able to program EIGHT INDEPENDENT sound modules and cycle through them sequentially) is something that I don't have with my existing synths (software or hardware).

SiliconDeath wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pmSynapse's Obsession seems to do most of the sounds I'm after, and it gets me there faster than Eight Voice does. I guess I'll just have to wait for GForce OB-E windows ver :shrug:
Have you not tried bx_oberhausen? I haven't touched Obsession since I got that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Oberhousen is great but does not support per-voice variation and round robining (without something like Bitwig's voice selector.) But I am puzzled over the preference for the 8 voice over obsession, too -- the architecture is similar, but has many more features, and it has a neally nice (could be nicer, though) UI for building in the per-voice variations that seem to be the selling point of the 8 voice. Is it that the 8 voice sounds more upfront (like the Oberhousen, which I agree is excellent and too often overlooked.) The oberhousen would be very cool with per voice modulations in the matrix and the availability of voice index and random modulators... with those you could get to some of the interesting 8 voice/ obsession sounds.

All things equal and knowing that it is personal preference, I've been going nuts with poly synth patch programming on Obsession. I can get these detuned, hazy, vangelis-esque (dare I say better?) pad sounds with Obsession that just have me playing a single patch for an hour without hitting record. And it has MPE....

But I'm old enough to have seen, played and lusted after an 8 voice on 49th street in Manhattan. They are amazing instruments and this is a very good emulation. I've bought the other CA standalones and will get this one too.

Eight Voice and Obsession are emulations of completely different synths. Neither one is a substitute for the other.
Stormchild

SiliconDeath wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm Synapse's Obsession seems to do most of the sounds I'm after, and it gets me there faster than Eight Voice does. I guess I'll just have to wait for GForce OB-E windows ver :shrug:
If an OB-X emulation is easier for you to work with than a SEM8 emulation, I doubt a different SEM8 emulation will change much.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:13 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 am Having an offset to the linked value is very unlikely to be a difficult thing to code, if the original code isn't written in some godawful way. It's almost assuredly a relatively simple fix.
Keywords there ? "unlikely" and "almost assuredly". :wink:

Probably wouldn't have been hard to make a 16 or 32 step sequencer or add a traditional Arp since they have a rack module already but they didn't. Those would get my vote long before "offset to the linked value".

Again we don't all get the features we want in a $29 plugin and we don't all want the same thing so....
It's not a hard fix. I realize you want to argue over absolutely pointless stuff on the internet so go ahead. I won't be reading your response cause I actually have better things to do.

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:24 pm It's not a hard fix. I realize you want to argue over absolutely pointless stuff on the internet so go ahead. I won't be reading your response cause I actually have better things to do.
Yet you had nothing better to do than "argue over absolutely pointless stuff on the internet" today?

Ok whatever Brother........ :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sounds good, price is right, nuff said...
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

I got the new SEM module for Voltage Modular. It comes with a mono and a poly version of the module. https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/s ... ule-bundle

Still running the demo of 8-voice.

The price is right for either. Or both.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”