Cherry Audio releases massive new Eight Voice synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:44 am The thing is, though, there are alternatives that don't require so much work/effort. As I said before, bx_oberhausen is regularly on sale for $29 and I still haven't been able to get Eight Voice to sound nearly as good as it sounds without any effort. I was hoping Eight Voice would allow me to replace some instances of bx_oberhausen, to save a bit of CPU for other things, but so far I've not been able to do that, no matter how much time I spend tweaking Eight Voice. I quite like CA2600 and even DCO-106 but this one feels like a bit of a dud in comparison, I'm afraid.
I see your view and respect it completely. BX was never on my radar because it is not the 8 voice. So, the CA 8voice is a complete 8Voice emulation that works for me. I'm enjoying it as much as their other products. Just sounds/feels fun to play. Even if missing options

BONES wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:32 am
Arashi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:20 pmYeah, this is exactly why some of us suggested it would be nice to have a linking mode that lets you control all 8 SEMs in a relative way without losing their individual offsets. Pretty obvious and relatively low effort way to make a good synth even better.
The problem I see with that is that it only works when tweaking presets, it won't help you when you are creating patches from scratch. OTOH, putting in something like Obsession's "Analog" knob would allow you make those random offsets any time you want. To me it seems like a better, more versatile way to solve the problem.
Noumena wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:41 am This is punishing to use to develop presets with subtle variations between the voices...
... but the benefits in workflow there (with Obsession) are substantial enough to make the difference between a synth that I will use and one that I will not.
This pretty much says it - there is a lot of potential here but trying to tap into it is more effort than it should be, more effort than it is ultimately worth.
Like others, I can not help but think that these issues came up with the beta testers/preset makers, and some of the suggestions found here would have certainly been made. How did the preset makers accomplish their task? I know it's a stretch, but is there just some 'trick' to these obvious omissions, that those reporting here are missing, possibly?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, whether maybe there was a little tweak that can be easily applied somehow.
wwjd wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 amBX was never on my radar because it is not the 8 voice.
Well, it kind of is, in that it can be 8 voice polyphonic (or 32 voices if you want that many) or it can be a single mono SEM or a dozen things in between (using multiple instances). In fact, it's possibly closer than Eight Voice is, in that Cherry have added a sub osc, extra LFO and a Velocity modulation control to the original SEM, which is more extra stuff than Brainworx have put into bx_oberhausen.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The sound may even be better, but it isn't the whole 8 VOICE layout. I'm just a hobbyist at this point, collecting old synth emulations to play on and screw around with.
im lazy. just want one screen, bam, done. :D

Well... I'm glad I demoed the VM version first. :?

Apparently you can just drag it right into the rack, connect a single output... and you're ready to go. It just magically patches everything else you'd normally need behind the scenes! What a time saver!! :dog:

...which, of course brings up a host of issues when you try to just specifically patch into some of the individual sections, like the filter (go on, I dare you).

I may just be completely misunderstanding exactly what this "module" is actually supposed to be, and how it works. Because I think it's actually just a whole synth, with extra steps (inputs and outputs, that don't quite work the way you'd expect).. and not really a standard module like I'm normally used to working with in VM.

Anyway, the PSP Poly Modular Collection I just demoed as well... is damn nice. I'll prolly just be picking that up instead. Fills in a lot of modular gaps I was missing.

wwjd wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:14 amThe sound may even be better, but it isn't the whole 8 VOICE layout. I'm just a hobbyist at this point, collecting old synth emulations to play on and screw around with. im lazy. just want one screen, bam, done. :D
I think I'm lazier because what I don't want to have to do is individually tweak 8 separate SEMS when I can patch one and flick a switch instead.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 pm There is a drift pack you can buy for VM which is great, but I wish there was a poly version of the individual drift modules because you have to split the poly signal, add the drift to each via mono then recombine to poly after. VCV Rack’s poly approach is so much less hassle with devs able to create one module that handles both mono and poly.

PSP PolyWobbler is basically a poly drift module.

I have that PSP suite, but didn’t try that module for drift as assumed it would apply the same amount of ‘wobble’ to each voice. Will check it out.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

progtronic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 am Well... I'm glad I demoed the VM version first. :?

Apparently you can just drag it right into the rack, connect a single output... and you're ready to go. It just magically patches everything else you'd normally need behind the scenes! What a time saver!! :dog:

...which, of course brings up a host of issues when you try to just specifically patch into some of the individual sections, like the filter (go on, I dare you).

I may just be completely misunderstanding exactly what this "module" is actually supposed to be, and how it works. Because I think it's actually just a whole synth, with extra steps (inputs and outputs, that don't quite work the way you'd expect).. and not really a standard module like I'm normally used to working with in VM.

Anyway, the PSP Poly Modular Collection I just demoed as well... is damn nice. I'll prolly just be picking that up instead. Fills in a lot of modular gaps I was missing.
if you look at the synth modules of Cherry Audio, they all are all-in-one, except synthvoice, o well it has an extra module, like DCO-60.. i prefer really seperate modules, but the SEM-modules, have outputs for each oscillator, and the VCF, it seems, has no input (but it is designed by Mark Barton, you can buy the filter... i have the Mark Barton filter bundle, great stuff).

by the way i bought the VM version, because more flexibility. also for MPE.. (with Remote Control, and a MPE template, you can also use, for instance slide, for the Q... so, the mono version, 4 voice is enough, or 6 voice.. or through other filters, etc.. and of course modulation options, like the drift pack).

PSP ultimate collection, when in sale, is now, very tempting, very tempting, $49...

yes i own a lot..

but this is the Eight Voice thread, i am sucker for the SEM sound.. and for me it gives more experimental ways, to have modules, instead of the VST instrument.

but indeed, there a some strange design choices for the modules, you can overcome them. but still.
o well..

through a 6 sem-modules through Almanacs, and some drift pack, jk canvas, or the great seqeuncer of M*4... etc. etc. you can build your own 6 voices, or 8 voice, with a lot of effects, by PSP, and you will get, even with the bit strange design choices, a wonderfull playground.

ramseysounds wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 am You can zoom into 2 modules at a time. At the top there are 4 tabs: 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8. Press each one and the modules as noted will zoom in :tu:
edit - same with the ctrl, seq and FX tabs
Thanks. Would never think that "focus" would mean that (I thought it was about the sound). But that's what I was looking for :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:35 am I have that PSP suite, but didn’t try that module for drift as assumed it would apply the same amount of ‘wobble’ to each voice. Will check it out.
Patching out from it, to a 'Poly to Mono' module will send out unique drift patterns to each output. Two sets of those, patched into an array of osc modules pitches and PW mods will create an amazingly fat analog mess.

I wasn't sure if it would work the same patching to a poly osc... but I just tested it, and it does. So that's cool for altering pitches, but I don't have an osc module that also has a poly PW mod input, but I assume if I did, that would work as well.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am
progtronic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 am Well... I'm glad I demoed the VM version first. :?

if you look at the synth modules of Cherry Audio, they all are all-in-one, except synthvoice, o well it has an extra module, like DCO-60.. i prefer really seperate modules, but the SEM-modules, have outputs for each oscillator, and the VCF, it seems, has no input (but it is designed by Mark Barton, you can buy the filter... i have the Mark Barton filter bundle, great stuff).

by the way i bought the VM version, because more flexibility. also for MPE.. (with Remote Control, and a MPE template, you can also use, for instance slide, for the Q... so, the mono version, 4 voice is enough, or 6 voice.. or through other filters, etc.. and of course modulation options, like the drift pack).

PSP ultimate collection, when in sale, is now, very tempting, very tempting, $49...

yes i own a lot..

but this is the Eight Voice thread, i am sucker for the SEM sound.. and for me it gives more experimental ways, to have modules, instead of the VST instrument.

but indeed, there a some strange design choices for the modules, you can overcome them. but still.
o well..

through a 6 sem-modules through Almanacs, and some drift pack, jk canvas, or the great seqeuncer of M*4... etc. etc. you can build your own 6 voices, or 8 voice, with a lot of effects, by PSP, and you will get, even with the bit strange design choices, a wonderfull playground.
Yeah... this was my first experience with one of their synth's ported to VM, and I came to the conclusion that this was prolly the way the other synth ports worked as well. Sucks, tbh...

I'll check out the MB stuff. The PSP Ultimate Modular Collection is currently $149 (way out of my range), but I think you meant the PSP Poly (non-ultimate) Modular Collection, which is $49. I can swing that. 8)

progtronic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:06 pm
WasteLand wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:03 am

yes i own a lot..

o well..

Yeah... this was my first experience with one of their synth's ported to VM, and I came to the conclusion that this was prolly the way the other synth ports worked as well. Sucks, tbh...

I'll check out the MB stuff. The PSP Ultimate Modular Collection is currently $149 (way out of my range), but I think you meant the PSP Poly (non-ultimate) Modular Collection, which is $49. I can swing that. 8)
i asked Cherry Audio about it, the design of their VM synths, also because mono modulation for poly instruments, they answered in a purist way. i say strange, it is their logic, but users, it looks, want something different. also the MS-20, which is in modules, the MS-20 filter, the poly version, can accept only mono modulation, except for keytracking. it is their design choice. again logic behind it, strange, because it is a modular environment... with poly capabilities...

i think you mean MRB stuff, worth it.. wait always for sale, or if you can't wait..

the PSP ultimate collection, the full monty, of PSP, is $49 in sale... the last 2 sales, it was, i spend $79 for it, i think (earlier sale..), it slowly becomes cheaper, i think $49 will be the lowest price...
a great difference, indeed. but i mean in sale... sale prices for VM are most of the times quite nice, the vult bundles, last time $30 each... (and again, i bought them in sale for $40 each... again an earlier sale..).

so it is worth waiting, if you can wait, i think in april Cherry Audio, does some sales for VM, it was last year that way.

i think we are still on topic, working with the module variant of Eight Voice, within VM.
no MPE at this time, i mean, i am not in my studio. will make a MPE variant...

but with the poly version, and indeed wobbler, sometimes you forget a module. you can get a Eight Voice, with 16 voices...

many possibilities, with utilities, the new Func module, or Dispersion, or Harmony of weevil; it extends it in numerous ways.
the Eight Voice already was a buidling block... so the module, the modular environment will be great, for experiments.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:21 pm the PSP ultimate collection, the full monty, of PSP, is $49 in sale... the last 2 sales, it was, i spend $79 for it, i think (earlier sale..), it slowly becomes cheaper, i think $49 will be the lowest price...
Ahh yeah, you're right. I don't think that's generally until the end of the year? So I missed that last one by a few months (bummer... :( ).

Just bought the current $49 PSP bundle anyway (need it for a current project). I think they might apply a discount if you already own a bunch of stuff from a bundle... so maybe I'll be able to pick up the rest of the stuff from that same bundle at a reduced price near the end of the year (or April?!. Seriously if I only had to wait a few more days for that same sale I'm gonna :dog: so hard...).

man, every time I fire this up I lose an hour or two... playing, tweaking, smiling...
Thank again, Cherry, for this sweet instrument!
Still going through presets, and I think I am finding more FAVORITES here than other 3 or 4 synths together in my large collection.

Return to “Instruments”