ANY soft synths with button / slider / knob sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do ANY soft synths out there offer the SOUND of pressing the button, turning a knob, moving a slider, or connecting wires? May seem silly, but that would be cool to happen while no synth sound is being played, and as an option to turn on and off.

Make the button press sound exactly like that style of button. The knob or slider can make that metal on greased metal "swushhhhh" sound while it is being moved, and a wire insert like on modular could make that double clunk 1/4" sound. Maybe the pitch bend could make that TWOINK sound when released like the real thing.

This is no different than making the knobs look like the real instrument, or emulate the sound, or proper text and coloring, just add in knob feel sounds as well.

I can't think of any synths that try to replicate those actual sounds. Might have a couple that do some generic CLICK for switches

can i see april 1st coming in the near future ? :D

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 pm Do ANY soft synths out there offer the SOUND of pressing the button, turning a knob, moving a slider, or connecting wires? May seem silly, but that would be cool to happen while no synth sound is being played, and as an option to turn on and off.

Make the button press sound exactly like that style of button. The knob or slider can make that metal on greased metal "swushhhhh" sound while it is being moved, and a wire insert like on modular could make that double clunk 1/4" sound. Maybe the pitch bend could make that TWOINK sound when released like the real thing.

This is no different than making the knobs look like the real instrument, or emulate the sound, or proper text and coloring, just add in knob feel sounds as well.

I can't think of any synths that try to replicate those actual sounds. Might have a couple that do some generic CLICK for switches
Lockdown getting to ya?

Look for Foley sound collections... or just record yourself pressing various button, flicking switches, etc.

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 pm May seem silly, but that would be cool to happen while no synth sound is being played, and as an option to turn on and off.
Just admit this is an April Fools joke and save yourself a lot of embarrassment. :wink:

But in case you're actually being serious can you imagine how annoying that would become very quickly if a VSTi made noises every time you moved a control ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

With automation, wouldn't it affect the recording?

You live in the future? still march here
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

think about it. in REAL LIFE tactile moving of synth knobs (I have a ton of hardware, don't know bout you guys) you FEEL as well as HEAR the movements of knobs. would be simple enough to have it all off by default, switch on or off, and not have it happen when sound is produced. this would ADD to the feel of soft knobs and switches. it doesn't have to be LOUD, just slight.

I would love to hear that slight real life knob movement sound while I move a fake, flat, non-physical KNOB, that was so meticulously designed to look exactly like the real knob. Why not add the sound to improve the emulation?

Erisian wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 pm With automation, wouldn't it affect the recording?
would obviously be just an option, switchable, off by default

just tried some real sliders... definitive "tonk" sound at the top and the bottom, and swshhh for the movement. and the buttons... very different tween those easy rubber ones and hard plastic. we have the looks and osc sounds... why not add audiable FEEL sounds also?

Isn't your mouse/ keyboard/ midi controller noisy enough for you? ;)

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 pm May seem silly
Yep, definitely. ;)

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:10 pm just tried some real sliders... definitive "tonk" sound at the top and the bottom, and swshhh for the movement. and the buttons... very different tween those easy rubber ones and hard plastic. we have the looks and osc sounds... why not add audiable FEEL sounds also?
Cause when you are playing music on hardware, you never hear any of that...

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:05 pm know bout you guys) you FEEL as well as HEAR the movements of knobs. would be simple
sorry: no
i never ever *hear* any noise on my minimoog, ms20, system100 or whatever
and if i hear it, the synth straight goes to the doctor
that would be the electrical noise of a knob/slider

or are you talking about a *mechanical* noise ?

anyway: smells like april1st

on a more serious scenario:

just imagine bug-support of a softsynth developer:
"there is a bug: this slider is noisy, this button clicks....clicks everywhere...!!!"

remember the minilogue intro phase?
all were screaming: "terrible envelopes: they're clicky"

wwjd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:10 pm just tried some real sliders... definitive "tonk" sound at the top and the bottom, and swshhh for the movement. and the buttons... very different tween those easy rubber ones and hard plastic. we have the looks and osc sounds... why not add audiable FEEL sounds also?
My personal favorite is when the drive in my 10 year old PC spins for no apparent reason making playback from my DAW stutter and glitch out!! Love it!

Return to “Instruments”