What to do about string squeeks when playing?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I'm playing sitting on the dock of the bay by Otis Reading using the E shaped barre chord to play up and down the frets I get an awful lot of string squeeking which is rather annoying. I just wondered what I can do to reduce this. Can anyone give me any advice. I know it is normal to get some string squeek when moving up and down the frets, but too much squeeking when I'm playing is annoying.
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

For acoustic guitar I recommend Daddario Flat-top strings. They eliminate squeak and sound great.

https://www.daddario.com/products/guita ... or-bronze/

8)

Listen from / put the mike further away.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Andywanders wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:13 am For acoustic guitar I recommend Daddario Flat-top strings. They eliminate squeak and sound great.

https://www.daddario.com/products/guita ... or-bronze/

8)
:tu:

Going from source (your fingers) all the way through the chain:

1) Improve your technique. This is the crux of the problem. You need to very lightly lift your fingers off the strings when you slide to change chords. Not enough to lose contact with them too much, but enough so that you are not pushing them hard when you do the slide. Just do that as an exercise five mins every day, REALLY slowly at first, and slowly build up tempo over days and weeks, it will soon become second nature/muscle memory.

2) Different strings have different sounds, some squeak more than others. New strings squeak more than old ones. Find strings that squeak less. If you like the tone of flatwounds, you'll be in heaven, no squeak at all, but they are not for everyone.

3) If recording, mic type and position will have an effect on high end frequency response. Experiment.

4) In mixing you can try and EQ it out.

5) In post you can use a spectral editor to lasso those pesky squeaks and reduce them 3-6dB very transparently.

Thanks Hermetech mastering, some good tips there. One question I would like to ask you is, do you think there is more tendency to get string squeek if you are playing a guitar with a slightly high action as opposed to a guitar with a low action.

I guess so, you may feel the urge to push down harder with a higher action. I mostly play acoustic fingerstyle these days, so can get away with a really low action.

String squeaks are part of the character of acoustic guitar. They convey intimacy.
You can reduce the volume of the squeaks with Melodyne, by selecting them and adjusting the amplitude, if they're annoyingly loud. Or you could just delete them. But I would recommend keeping a tasteful amount.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am I guess so, you may feel the urge to push down harder with a higher action. I mostly play acoustic fingerstyle these days, so can get away with a really low action.
:tu:

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:09 am String squeaks are part of the character of acoustic guitar. They convey intimacy.
You can reduce the volume of the squeaks with Melodyne, by selecting them and adjusting the amplitude, if they're annoyingly loud. Or you could just delete them. But I would recommend keeping a tasteful amount.
I don't use software, as at the moment I'm not interested in recording my sessions. I think maybe the squeeks would not be as bad if the action on my guitar was a bit lower.

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 pm When I'm playing sitting on the dock of the bay by Otis Reading using the E shaped barre chord to play up and down the frets I get an awful lot of string squeeking which is rather annoying. I just wondered what I can do to reduce this. Can anyone give me any advice. I know it is normal to get some string squeek when moving up and down the frets, but too much squeeking when I'm playing is annoying.
Play it with open chords, Ultimate Guitar says it just contains
G, B7, C, A, E, D, F
easy enough and there are some nice little places for bass walks e.g. C-> (B note) -> A and G -> (F# note) -> E

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Elixir strings cuts it way down. But, yeah, technique.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 am
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 pm When I'm playing sitting on the dock of the bay by Otis Reading using the E shaped barre chord to play up and down the frets I get an awful lot of string squeeking which is rather annoying. I just wondered what I can do to reduce this. Can anyone give me any advice. I know it is normal to get some string squeek when moving up and down the frets, but too much squeeking when I'm playing is annoying.
Play it with open chords, Ultimate Guitar says it just contains
G, B7, C, A, E, D, F
easy enough and there are some nice little places for bass walks e.g. C-> (B note) -> A and G -> (F# note) -> E
Not the same thing. Dock of the bay requires Sliding the chords to sound credible.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Oil them.
Seriously.
Just a tiny bit.
Clean them afterwards.
Strings squeak because your fingers stick to them.

What do you suggest, bicycle chain oil, or chainsaw oil? :o

Return to “Guitars”