23%
They are too different to properly compare
18%
I prefer another wavetable option
16%

Total votes: 287

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which is nobler? Money is not the issue, I only have time to learn one. Or maybe there is another wavetable you would recommend (besides Massive X).

why not learn on the one that's free :wink:

Why not choose Dexed and Surge, they are free much longer :)

Hive has become my to go synth lately. It sounds great and you can get wide variety of sounds without much effort. I'd say it's a "result-oriented" synth, as opposed to "process-oriented" ones like Vital where you get a lot of features but making it sound any good requires a lot of tweaking and searching for sweet spots.

Vital does have some features Hive doesnt have though, which may or may not be useful for you - like FM, vowel filters and oscillator effects. So I'd get Hive and a free version of Vital and focus on learning Hive while keeping Vital for more "special" kinds of sounds.
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Since it's a matter of only wanting to deal with one, then a comparison of the company behind them could be well warranted as well.
Therefore, I default to u-He and Hive.

dune_rave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:54 pm Why not choose Dexed and Surge, they are free much longer :)
is dexed a WT synth?

killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm Which is nobler? Money is not the issue, I only have time to learn one. Or maybe there is another wavetable you would recommend (besides Massive X).
Hive

With 2.1, u-he added the new filters (Comb, Dissonant, Reverb and Sideband) which add a whole new range of sound possibilities. Hive also has a whole lot of subtle but useful functionality that makes it very well rounded.

Hive is easy to have a sound idea and just get to it. It is very polished and solid at this point. The sound quality is high and support is great. Hive has a beautiful clear and clean tone. It also has the Uhm scripts which make a huge variety of different and usefully different wavetables. It uses less cpu than Vital.

I'm happy to have Vital as well. It takes more work to get a result I am satisfied with but it does have some tools Hive doesn't. I use it most for the text to wavetable function for making vocal sounds. Vital is definitely a keeper for me, but of the two, Hive is my first choice if I could only have one.

Regarding other wavetable synth choices:

The other wavetable synth I use is Icarus cause it has a re-synthesis option to make wavetables from audio clips. I use it to turn snippets of various environmental recordings into wavetables. I will frequently then import that wavetable into Hive cause the Hive interpolation is really good.

I'm glad to have Icarus, but I use Hive more often in real projects.

whether tis nobler...

what?

Both. Vital is free.

However my vote goes to Hive 2. U-He is amazing.

AnX wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm
dune_rave wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:54 pm Why not choose Dexed and Surge, they are free much longer :)
is dexed a WT synth?
can a synth be noble?

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm
is dexed a WT synth?
can a synth be noble?
negative

Fish.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

To me it's more work to make vital sound good, but you should try a little both to see what clicks with you. Definitively should give surge a chance too, all these are amazing but will lead you to differents sounds...

Great info!! Thanks everyone. I'll vote Hive 2 too and going to give Surge a go too.

killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm Money is not the issue
I love this attitude! :party:
8098C929-A344-4230-8FF8-BD2748D0E797.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”