Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AcrossTheSky wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 am ..... Bitwig Studio 3.0 [released 10 Jul 2019] .....

That is a loooong time ago .. - interesting - now I kind of get all the talk about the 4.0 release ...

Is it really going to be full of new - anticipated features release you 8) think ??
I don't know but I'm glad I haven't had an active upgrade plan in about four months since there's ben nothing that I've cared about. But I'm not complaining. This is where it works pretty good. I don't need to purchase an upgrade plan until something comes along that I want.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 am
AcrossTheSky wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 am ..... Bitwig Studio 3.0 [released 10 Jul 2019] .....

That is a loooong time ago .. - interesting - now I kind of get all the talk about the 4.0 release ...

Is it really going to be full of new - anticipated features release you 8) think ??
I don't know but I'm glad I haven't had an active upgrade plan in about four months since there's ben nothing that I've cared about. But I'm not complaining. This is where it works pretty good. I don't need to purchase an upgrade plan until something comes along that I want.
What surprises me in a good way about the update plans is I've been out of a plan since November, and every update since then I've qualified for. it seems it's major point versions that Bitwig count, so 3.3.2 was where I was in November I believe, and I've gotten at least four minor updates since then. I suppose at 3.4.0 is when I will no longer qualify for updates. So it really makes sense to wait until you can't update anymore before activating your plan, I've gotten 4 months so far.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:28 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 am

What surprises me in a good way about the update plans is I've been out of a plan since November, and every update since then I've qualified for. it seems it's major point versions that Bitwig count, so 3.3.2 was where I was in November I believe, and I've gotten at least four minor updates since then. I suppose at 3.4.0 is when I will no longer qualify for updates. So it really makes sense to wait until you can't update anymore before activating your plan, I've gotten 4 months so far.
Yeah that's true as well. I'm in a similar boat. I've recently received update notifications while my plan is expired. I guess they need to to do that for updates that are mainly bug fix updates. I'm not sure what is official included in an expired plan. Maybe it's the .x updates only that are not included like you say.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:28 amWhat surprises me in a good way...
How is it still surprising? ;)

https://www.bitwig.com/support/shop_lic ... an-work-5/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Am afraid it has no MPA.

MIDI Grid is my number one hope for v4. There are a couple of third party M4L devices I miss and I'm keen to be able to recreate them as Grid patches.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:06 pm MIDI Grid is my number one hope for v4. There are a couple of third party M4L devices I miss and I'm keen to be able to recreate them as Grid patches.
Same here... Midi Grid would allow me to make various sequencers. Midi Grid will be so powerful for sequencing VST's and also for Hardware!

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 pm
PieBerger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:06 pm MIDI Grid is my number one hope for v4. There are a couple of third party M4L devices I miss and I'm keen to be able to recreate them as Grid patches.
Same here... Midi Grid would allow me to make various sequencers. Midi Grid will be so powerful for sequencing VST's and also for Hardware!
That, combined with the ability to have at least one level of sub-grids - I'm not looking for full object-oriented inheritance, just a way of breaking complexity down into more than one level. Otherwise, the danger is that as soon as grids reach any level of power, their complexity shoots up exponentially.
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 pm Same here... Midi Grid would allow me to make various sequencers. Midi Grid will be so powerful for sequencing VST's and also for Hardware!
This is exactly what I'm hoping for from bitwig next - the ability to really let loose with modular sequencing of my plugin library.

Yes, midi grid pls
The modulator stuff is already pretty powerful but midi grid ftw

All of you asking for MIDI Grid - is this only for adding multi-channel MIDI note CV, gate & CC (+MPE perhaps) out, or you actually also have some new dedicated modules in mind, too? If so, what are they?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

While I probably wouldn't know how to use it, some form of programmable (algorhythmic or propbabability based etc) control of adding new midi notes to what's playing potentailly opens up things like Scaler or more complex arpegiators.

I think simply adding some new modules for midi out would add a lot of power (since you could use existing modules for midi in including MPE expressions, act on them as control voltages, then translate them back into MPE output in most cases) but I certainly wouldn't complain if we also got a bunch of new sequencing toys alongside of it (or some type of "build your own GUI" option to hide the mess and expose the important parameters for performance and composition - whether that takes the form of "sub grids" as people have been asking for or not IDK)

Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
Just curious if I missed and a “planned” possibility for v4.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
Just curious if I missed and a “planned” possibility for v4.
I don't remember anything about a specific roadmap, but MIDI in the Grid I'm pretty sure has been mentioned. It's a 100% natural progression. I get that they're not going to go 100% MAX 4 Live on us here, but even then, the integration will hopefully be deeper and less of a hassle than M4L.

Return to “Bitwig”