Scriptable Clip Actions

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to see scriptable actions ala Photoshop within Bitwig so you can quickly create cool recursive effects and glitchy rolls with Audio Clips.

So you could select an Sample for example and then tell bitwig to duplicate it, decrease the volume by 10 percent, pitch it down by 1 semitone and repeat the same action on the copy and 5 more times for example.

Maybe this could be a simple popup command line. If there was a DAW that something like this would fit to it would for sure be Bitwig

This sounds a little like ClyphX Pro for Ableton by Isotonik Studios. There the script commands are actually entered and stored within the Clips themselves, but I think offer the same type of commands that you are describing. I actually found the ClyphX implementation slightly clumsy, but a native Bitwig solution with the customary elegance, that we would expect, would be nice 😉
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

You mean something like Microsoft Excel cell functions but for launcher clips? :P

Or maybe abilities to add tags to launcher clips for starting clips of a certain "type"/color/name/relative position from current.

I have been missing ClyphX in Bitwig. Some actions that need a script in Live don’t need one in Bitwig, though, so that’s something.

carlca wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:37 am This sounds a little like ClyphX Pro for Ableton by Isotonik Studios. There the script commands are actually entered and stored within the Clips themselves, but I think offer the same type of commands that you are describing. I actually found the ClyphX implementation slightly clumsy, but a native Bitwig solution with the customary elegance, that we would expect, would be nice 😉
Never heard of ClyphX! Will check that out.

it's possible to do something similar in bitwig too.. there's these Action and ActionCategories that you can use from a controller script.. in some of my own scripts, i parse the clip and scene names when they are triggered, and if they start with for example "#", i do some more parsing, and call the specified action.. there were some problems, but it's been a while, so i don't remember all the details..

docbot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:10 am Maybe this could be a simple popup command line. If there was a DAW that something like this would fit to it would for sure be Bitwig
If you write a controller extension in JavaScript you can call individual functions from the JavaScript console. E.g. if you have a method
function executeSomeStuff() { ... }
in your script you can simply write
executeSomeStuff()
and press return in the console to execute it.

Something like ClyphX would be totally possible to implement in Bitwig as well. I was looking into that idea in the past but discarded it because I saw not the benefit (at least not for me ;-) ) since most of the features are already in controller scripts or can be already done with clip automation.

Return to “Bitwig”