Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
Just curious if I missed and a “planned” possibility for v4.
I don't remember anything about a specific roadmap, but MIDI in the Grid I'm pretty sure has been mentioned. It's a 100% natural progression. I get that they're not going to go 100% MAX 4 Live on us here, but even then, the integration will hopefully be deeper and less of a hassle than M4L.
The Devs mentioned that Midi (Grid/Out) was planned when 3.0 came out, but no timeframe was given.

I really want to be able to sequence my VST instruments with the Grid!

pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:00 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
I don't remember anything about a specific roadmap, but MIDI in the Grid I'm pretty sure has been mentioned. It's a 100% natural progression. I get that they're not going to go 100% MAX 4 Live on us here, but even then, the integration will hopefully be deeper and less of a hassle than M4L.
The Devs mentioned that Midi (Grid/Out) was planned when 3.0 came out, but no timeframe was given.

At one point I had a modified Logic Environment with a 16 step sequencer, it was a lot of fun, just a good set up for controlling things. The Environment makes any wackiness I might perceive about M4L to be just whinging though.

I can see having a lot of fun making my dream MIDI step sequencer in the Grid for sure. Something that I could control both hard and software with.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:00 pm

Ok. At least it was mentioned by the BWS team.
Good to know. :tu:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

This week seems nice for an announcement :D

andypryce wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:00 amThis week seems nice for an announcement :D
Yes, but the current Harrison "deal" runs until 12th, so I wouldn't count on anything happening before that.

I'd love to be wrong, though :oops:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:17 am
andypryce wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:00 amThis week seems nice for an announcement :D
Yes, but the current Harrison "deal" runs until 12th, so I wouldn't count on anything happening before that.

I'd love to be wrong, though :oops:
I don't think that deal will influence anything, the beta will only be available to people who already have an active licence anyway...a beta could only encourage people who weren't active to jump on a deal.

If they get the beta out mid April we are looking at about mid July for launch (its been about a 3 month cycle in the past) so there is a realistic chance I may only get one upgrade in my 12 month plan...it better be a good one!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 amI don't think that deal will influence anything, the beta will only be available to people who already have an active licence anyway...a beta could only encourage people who weren't active to jump on a deal.

If they get the beta out mid April we are looking at about mid July for launch (its been about a 3 month cycle in the past) so there is a realistic chance I may only get one upgrade in my 12 month plan...it better be a good one!
Sure, it shouldn't. But I'm trying to look at it from a media presence / marketing angle (driving sales), where - I guess - one would prefer to spread it over time, rather than concentrate the announcements close to each other, risking you'll target a single moment when people are out of money.

( funny, because I've just sent an e-mail at work about worrying concentration of risk that I'm seeing ;) )
Music tech enthusiast

It will be mostly ARM updates, so nobody will benefit from this, still we all pay for it, except some rich kids with recent ARM macs, without audio interface.

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 amI don't think that deal will influence anything, the beta will only be available to people who already have an active licence anyway...a beta could only encourage people who weren't active to jump on a deal.

Sure, it shouldn't. But I'm trying to look at it from a media presence / marketing angle (driving sales), where - I guess - one would prefer to spread it over time, rather than concentrate the announcements close to each other, risking you'll target a single moment when people are out of money.

( funny, because I've just sent an e-mail at work about worrying concentration of risk that I'm seeing ;) )
Possibly, or perhaps its just not ready!

Either way I think they will taint there '12 month update' model if they slip to 6 monthly updates as other DAWS manage close to that with free updates (I have had far more from Studio One with the 5.1 and rather good 5.2 updates that were free and will probably get many more years of free updates before 6 comes out)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 amIt will be mostly ARM updates, so nobody will benefit from this, still we all pay for it, except some rich kids with recent ARM macs, without audio interface.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they're aware enough of the market to NOT make this into an important feature, just like switching to new, optimised audio engine wasn't. It is rather gonna be a low-key "oh, and BTW..." mention in addition to other, headline stuff. Imagine the backlash they'd get otherwise...
Music tech enthusiast

Still it surely takes the most time. So there will be no time for other stuff. Apple should pay for that.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 am...Apple should pay for that.
We both know that's not gonna happen.

What might happen though, is that Apple will significantly improve the performance of their computers without increasing their price (or give the same performance much cheaper), so in a longer run we all benefit from that, even those of us on Windows PCs as they'll have to migrate towards ARM chips:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/behin ... #more-2940

Not to mention adding native Apple Silicon support for Bitwig opens it up to run on iPads, which would be a huge market opportunity for them, considering Ableton is nowhere near ready.

I guess it's inevitable, whether we like it or not :(
Music tech enthusiast

Or Apple will concentrate on their own software (Logic, GarageBand etc) and make it increasing difficult for non-Apple software to be developed and maintained cost effectively....

Bitwig would be far to fiddley on an iPAD, it wasn't a great experience on a 12 inch MS Surface...
Korg Gadget has it about right IMHO - its about as far as you can go on a tablet.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 am It will be mostly ARM updates, so nobody will benefit from this, still we all pay for it, except some rich kids with recent ARM macs, without audio interface.
I'm thrilled about the switch to Apple Silicon! When the 16" MBP is announced, I'll be getting one so I can have a fast laptop for audio where the fan doesn't run constantly. That will be a big benefit for me.

Well, it has so poor connectivity, and no harddrive...????? Also most audio interfaces and external gear most likely won't work anymore ... Once again. Sure, the cpu is pretty impressive, but it comes with a ton of drawbacks. I will wait at least another year here. I think the software devs still should wait, too.

Return to “Bitwig”