Give us custom themes!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The real issue is the edit windows as Lee Jones pointed out.
There are no themes, just the ability to tint the darker areas, but no ability to tint the edit windows.
Every other DAW on my system either has themes with grey edit windows or allows you to dirtectly adjust the tint of the window. Using built in OS solutions does not change the contrast between the main arrange/mixers windows and the edit window.

The d!ckhead comments here are so weirdly common on “company” forums. As someone who works in a really dark room as well the contrast is too much. I don’t care about themes, just give me the ability to use a grey background edit windows like the rest of the DAWs out there.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm
Write to support, please. Maybe they will add this feature, if there are a lot of requests.
https://www.bitwig.com/contact/

IVAN FREI wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:45 pm
machinesworking wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm
Write to support, please. Maybe they will add this feature, if there are a lot of requests.
https://www.bitwig.com/contact/
Done, others should do this too.
Just so people understand why this is an issue for some people, this is what I wrote.
So I love that I can tint the contrast and hue for the Bitwig theme, but the one area where this does't work really is the Edit windows and fonts. Both the regular Arrange and Edit Windows just get slightly darker, so in dark or low visibility rooms, this becomes jarring. Same with the fonts, they remain stark white even with Midtones and Black Levels of zero.
"Other" DAWs with dark themes tint the fonts a bit and allow the end user to adjust the edit panels to a dark grey etc. This would be a HUGE UX improvement for Bitwig, it's one of the better looking themes out there, but this one UX area when going with darker settings in darker rooms is a real eye strain.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 pm
So I love that I can tint the contrast and hue for the Bitwig theme, but the one area where this does't work really is the Edit windows and fonts. Both the regular Arrange and Edit Windows just get slightly darker, so in dark or low visibility rooms, this becomes jarring. Same with the fonts, they remain stark white even with Midtones and Black Levels of zero.
"Other" DAWs with dark themes tint the fonts a bit and allow the end user to adjust the edit panels to a dark grey etc. This would be a HUGE UX improvement for Bitwig, it's one of the better looking themes out there, but this one UX area when going with darker settings in darker rooms is a real eye strain.
Agree with your opinion. Thank you for not being lazy to write a request. :ud:

IVAN FREI wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 am Agree with your opinion. Thank you for not being lazy to write a request. :ud:
I'm a big fan also of often overlooked Digital Performer, their dark theme None More Black has slightly greyed fonts, and grey edit windows, which all make sense. Even Logic has a dark edit window mode with it's mostly unmodifiable theme. You can go into the weeds with Reaper themes and modify the colors on the edit windows. Bitwig stands out here as singularly behind or just flat out bad in this area.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:30 pmBitwig stands out here as singularly behind or just flat out bad in this area.
The edit windows work fine for me. My studio is very dark at night and the light edit windows are no problem. They are easy to read and produce no eyestrain. I reduce screen brightness at night, but I would do that regardless of the tonality of the editors in Bitwig.

Bitwigs UI/UX is literally perfect for me and I dont need any change at all

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:30 pmBitwig stands out here as singularly behind or just flat out bad in this area.
The edit windows work fine for me. My studio is very dark at night and the light edit windows are no problem. They are easy to read and produce no eyestrain. I reduce screen brightness at night, but I would do that regardless of the tonality of the editors in Bitwig.
Yeah, totally disagree here. I don’t care for white or light grey edit windows in general and don’t particularly like OS nightime dimming solutions. I don’t need everything to look like it’s been in a smokers house! 😂 It’s 100% typical for people to argue against better options on DAW specific forums, the whole “since it doesn’t bother me it shouldn’t bother anyone.”

You should see the threads on motunation about how DP10 is fine with MIDI on separate tracks than instruments. It’s just super common for people to see any request no matter how reasonable as a threat against the DAW.

How would having a dark grey edit window or off white fonts affect your experience with Bitwig negatively? I don’t personally get why people act against feature requests? Plus as a Logic user you know full well that Logic offers a grey MIDI edit background. Why would you not want that?

I find the comments that go along the lines of saying themes are pointless for music and just listen to the audio insensitive. Maybe that works for you, but some of us get musically inspired by the things we look at. I actually have to make sure I'm not looking at the Bitwig GUI when I'm in final stages of production because I tend to hear the sound as worse than it really is because of my dislike for the Bitwig aesthetic :? .
Additionally, don't assume just because you like the Bitwig GUI that it doesn't need to be changed... lol. People have varying opinions on it and orange isn't exactly a popular colour.
Don't get me wrong, I love bitwig and use it for 10+ hours a day still for the features, but I know it would be an even better experience for me with themes.
Like others have said, if we have to spend so long looking at this thing, we'd probably want it to look pretty to us.
For me, all this means is a dark bluish grey dark theme. Not even anything fancy and certainly not hentai :). Just something I enjoy the aesthetic of for music making.

@ Xandy, I agree, not because I don't like Bitwigs theme, I do, but because I like some choices. I like most things about the theme it has, but I just wish when you chose to darken it up as much as possible, it didn't mean there's a super harsh contrast between the fonts and edit window and that dark theme. Letting people choose a few other colors besides orange is probably a good idea as well, although I like it myself.

To be fair Logic and a few others have a more hardcore lack of choice about themes. Logic changes slightly each new version, and you can't roll back to an older theme, you get what you get, besides them being smart about allowing you to adjust the background of the MIDI editor. Then there's all the modern UX issues that Reaper has no matter what theme you choose.

Live and DP though are good examples of how to give people themes without drastically changing the UI, and allowing for people who love light or dark themes to have that experience.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:52 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm
Yeah, totally disagree here. I don’t care for white or light grey edit windows in general and don’t particularly like OS nightime dimming solutions. I don’t need everything to look like it’s been in a smokers house! 😂 It’s 100% typical for people to argue against better options on DAW specific forums, the whole “since it doesn’t bother me it shouldn’t bother anyone.”

How would having a dark grey edit window or off white fonts affect your experience with Bitwig negatively? I don’t personally get why people act against feature requests? Plus as a Logic user you know full well that Logic offers a grey MIDI edit background. Why would you not want that?
I just don't care about it. I use Logic and enjoy it. I use Bitwig and enjoy it. I find both of them easy on the eyes and not too cluttered. I can use a variety of GUI appearances and they are all good enough for me. My ability to create music and enjoy the process is unaffected by GUI appearance, as long as it is clear, readable and has a good workflow.

I'm also fine with a dark theme being added... the thing is, there are actual music related functions that are FAR FAR FAR FAR more important to me.

Give me Comping... that interests me 1000 times more than the devs wasting time on theme stuff at this point in Bitwig's development. Give me Midi Grid and Midi Step Record... stuff that is actually useful. Midi Import and Export that was solid and well featured. That would actually be useful. When all that sort of stuff is there then fine, add theme options for Bitwig 7...

Interesting. People waste their eyes in the dark and then complain about contrast. Education 2021.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:32 am I just don't care about it. I use Logic and enjoy it. I use Bitwig and enjoy it. I find both of them easy on the eyes and not too cluttered. I can use a variety of GUI appearances and they are all good enough for me. My ability to create music and enjoy the process is unaffected by GUI appearance, as long as it is clear, readable and has a good workflow.

I'm also fine with a dark theme being added... the thing is, there are actual music related functions that are FAR FAR FAR FAR more important to me.

Give me Comping... that interests me 1000 times more than the devs wasting time on theme stuff at this point in Bitwig's development. Give me Midi Grid and Midi Step Record... stuff that is actually useful. Midi Import and Export that was solid and well featured. That would actually be useful. When all that sort of stuff is there then fine, add theme options for Bitwig 7...
My list of improvements is heavily affected by whether or not a VST or VSTi can do a similar thing.
So the main things are comping, GUI improvements, and other areas where a VST can't help out at all. I would like movie hosting, but it can be handled by a VST, same with MIDI step sequencers and the like.
I do love the quality and usability of Bitwigs Grid and built in FX etc. but it's not near a driving factor for me, it's the usability of the interface, how quickly it responds to key commands, the interaction with hardware etc. All of that is a bigger issue to me.

excuse me please wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 am Interesting. People waste their eyes in the dark and then complain about contrast. Education 2021.
I shouldn't respond to this, but how stupid is this comment? Ever play a live show? :lol:
your bedroom studio is not the only place that Bitwig gets used.

And again, most other DAWs have dark, low contrast themes or settings for that not untypical environment. Plus I'm not asking for skeuomorphic themes, I'm asking for low contrast settings for different typical working environments.

And again it has to be pointed out that company forums are filled with sycophants who balk at any change, especially ones that make reference to aesthetics. Reaper has had glaring GUI issues forever, it's slowly getting better, but not because of the user base on forums, that's for dammed sure.

Bitwig support thanked me for the suggestion. :P

machinesworking wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 pm
excuse me please wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:53 am Interesting. People waste their eyes in the dark and then complain about contrast. Education 2021.
I shouldn't respond to this, but how stupid is this comment? Ever play a live show? :lol:
your bedroom studio is not the only place that Bitwig gets used.

And again, most other DAWs have dark, low contrast themes or settings for that not untypical environment. Plus I'm not asking for skeuomorphic themes, I'm asking for low contrast settings for different typical working environments.

And again it has to be pointed out that company forums are filled with sycophants who balk at any change, especially ones that make reference to aesthetics. Reaper has had glaring GUI issues forever, it's slowly getting better, but not because of the user base on forums, that's for dammed sure.

Bitwig support thanked me for the suggestion. :P
Sorry, had not thought it over :oops:

Return to “Bitwig”