Which emulation to buy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
Got myself some extra cash the other day. Before letting it all disappear into the daily budget, I decided to buy a little extra emulation synth to our Reason 11 arsenal. Precision is not a must, but a nice old school analog flavor is, not too harsh and not too dull either. I have been away from software for several years, so I cannot keep up with the releases. Arturia stuff has never really turned me on and still does not, but I have demo'd Uhe Diva, the Uhe Repros and G-force OB-E. So far, I am pretty impressed with the Repros. Are there any other emulations you think I should try before hitting the buy icon?

Kind Regards
Gothi
ToH
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

obsession or the legend? from synapse.
both get a lot of good things said

i would say check out ImpOSCar2 & Oddity from GForce as well as Cherry Audio Eight Voice and KORG's ARP Odyssey.

Apart from the ones mentioned, check out NI Monark as well. And Brainworx bx_oberhausen. TAL-J-8 is nice as well.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:33 pm i would say check out ImpOSCar2 & Oddity from GForce as well as Cherry Audio Eight Voice and KORG's ARP Odyssey.
tbh, if i was using reason, id stick with its synths, and add gforce mtron.
as im not sure reason has that covered, synths it does. (imo)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 pm synths it does. (imo)
Just my opinion as well, but, I don't think it does those very good. I mean... there's a lot better stuff in VST. I'm sure you can work with the synths in Reason, but, I'd feel very limited with those.

Pretty sure it was quite an eye opener for many Reason users, when it opened up for VST.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know how much it's improved, but, I found that Reason does not play well with CPU hungry VSTs. The Arturia stuff is probably fine, but I didn't like using Uhe synths inside of Reason natively. This was even with a fairly powerful CPU.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:16 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 pm synths it does. (imo)
Just my opinion as well, but, I don't think it does those very good. I mean... there's a lot better stuff in VST. I'm sure you can work with the synths in Reason, but, I'd feel very limited with those.
well there must be a reason (ha!) neither of us uses it... ;)

Reason 11 runs my VSTis as good as Logic Pro X on my mac, so no worries there.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

u he repro and TAL j8 are probably my two favourite analog emulations if you're looking to emulate a specific analog synth as close to 1:1 as possible - obsession might be in that boat too but I haven't demo'd it.

Diva is really good for emulating a small slew of vintage synths and hybrids thereof.

ACE is it's own beast (not emulating any one particular analog synth) but definitely can do vintage analog well.

If you don't want a specific emulation but rather a verry good analogue sounding vsti , go TAlmod
If you wan't a specific ( old skool roland ) emulation , Go Tal
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

+1 for Diva. I especially like the Volta skin for it. Diva just sounds incredible. I like it best of all the emulations because you aren't just getting one synth, they all sound amazing.

Yeah, ACE maybe isn't an emulation, but really really cool. Other then that? Roland Cloud. :tu:

Got ACE already since forever and it is cool, but the repros go somewhat further to get that old school flavor. And sorry guys/gals, U-he and owners, but Diva ain’t it for me. Hard to explain, but soundwise and UI, we just don’t click. Love my ACE though.

Just demo’d Legend and obsession: Lovely VAs with smooth, rounded sound, but in my headphones, the Repros sound more authentic.

edit

Return to “Instruments”