First hardware synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

werp wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:49 pm See if you can find an Audiothingies Micromonsta (no keyboard, it’s a tiny eight voice virtual analog). It’s discontinued now so 2nd hand only.
There’s a v2 that’s still currently in production, I believe.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think the Deepmind would be a good first synth. Decent amount of modulation and hands on control. Good effects section, but I wasn’t over the moon about the sound of the synth, but it’s OK. You might be able to find a 12 voice desktop version for your budget.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 am I had the same impression of the JDXI, looks really fun but a lot in menus.
I have a preference for a synth with keyboard, poly, budget up to $500.
The Deepmind 6 looks like an interesting option, also because I really like the sound and ease of use of the Juno upon which it is said to be based. Any thoughts on this synth?
With your budget and what you want I would totally go for a Deepmind 6. (preferably the 12 if you can stretch the budget)
To me its a Juno on steroids.
I played with one but not owned one. It was on my list along with the Rev2.

Compare it with a Juno here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OrME6w7nQ

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm I think the Deepmind would be a good first synth. Decent amount of modulation and hands on control. Good effects section, but I wasn’t over the moon about the sound of the synth, but it’s OK. You might be able to find a 12 voice desktop version for your budget.
I saw this YouTube video of someone who recreated all the Juno factory presets on the Deepmind, and most of them really sounded similar, I was quite impressed! I have already taken the Mininova off my shortlist because it apparently sounds quite thin, is the sound a general concern also for the Deepmind?

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:25 pm
werp wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:49 pm See if you can find an Audiothingies Micromonsta (no keyboard, it’s a tiny eight voice virtual analog). It’s discontinued now so 2nd hand only.
There is. I’m on the email list. It has six voices, the original has eight.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pmI have already taken the Mininova off my shortlist because it apparently sounds quite thin
Whoever told you that is completely full of shit. It shares the same synth engine as the Ultranova and Ultranova is hands-down the best synth I have ever owned. It sounds absolutely huge and has way more polyphony than anything else you are looking at. If you want to know how good Ultranova is try and find one second-hand. Nobody wants to let them go, I couldn't find a single one on eBay.

It's probably best to have a listen yourself and make up your own mind, so check out Nick Batt's review here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5zKyZf98Q
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

werp wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 am
That’s odd. I’ve never heard of a v2 of a synth offering a lower voice count as a feature.

In all honesty, though, as much as I really liked Micromonsta 1, the UI wasn’t that fun to use. Clear and intuitive, but nothing I’d really say was a worth a break from plugins. In the end I used it as a wavetable source for a Pro 2, but for various reasons I moved on.

I sort of feel like if you’re happy using plugins, you should really go all out if you want a hardware synth. You may as well get a Deepmind and have a lot of knobs, but really I’d save and get a Prophet 08 or 6 module.
Zerocrossing Media

A good friend of mine just bought a Microfreak as his first hardware synth. He's absolutely loving it.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... k/overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTLlfDRzpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS3jburtVsQ

May pick one up myself before long :)

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 am
That’s odd. I’ve never heard of a v2 of a synth offering a lower voice count as a feature.

In all honesty, though, as much as I really liked Micromonsta 1, the UI wasn’t that fun to use. Clear and intuitive, but nothing I’d really say was a worth a break from plugins. In the end I used it as a wavetable source for a Pro 2, but for various reasons I moved on.

I sort of feel like if you’re happy using plugins, you should really go all out if you want a hardware synth. You may as well get a Deepmind and have a lot of knobs, but really I’d save and get a Prophet 08 or 6 module.
I’ve got a novation summit and a hydrasynth desktop at the moment. I’m being gassed to death by the Waldorf Iridium and the Jupiter X though.
AAAaargh!
Gods I’m useless...

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 am
LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pmI have already taken the Mininova off my shortlist because it apparently sounds quite thin
Whoever told you that is completely full of shit. It shares the same synth engine as the Ultranova and Ultranova is hands-down the best synth I have ever owned. It sounds absolutely huge and has way more polyphony than anything else you are looking at. If you want to know how good Ultranova is try and find one second-hand. Nobody wants to let them go, I couldn't find a single one on eBay.

It's probably best to have a listen yourself and make up your own mind, so check out Nick Batt's review here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5zKyZf98Q
It was on some reviews on Thomann and in the Sound on Sound review if I recall it correctly. The video indeed sounds pretty good, but isn’t the Mininova quite a lot of menu diving?

Probably. What all the Ultranova reviews say is that it doesn't quite sound as huge as the Supernova from which it was developed but they'll be prying mine from my cold, dead hands. No, you won't get the hands-on you're looking for from a Mininova but what you might like, though, is the older K-Station. It's 8 voice polyphonic, sounds really, really good and has plenty of knobs to twiddle. They turned it into the V-Station VSTi a long time ago but I don't think you can get it any more. There are plenty of used K-Stations around, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

LocalTrack19 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pm I have already taken the Mininova off my shortlist because it apparently sounds quite thin
Good call, because, that's just what it sounds like. Thin, sterile, and uninspiring. (please, don't hit me, BONES :hihi:)

Would be a nice synth, actually, if it was anything like the old Nova's, but, unfortunately, it isn't.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm I think the Deepmind would be a good first synth. Decent amount of modulation and hands on control. Good effects section, but I wasn’t over the moon about the sound of the synth, but it’s OK. You might be able to find a 12 voice desktop version for your budget.
I have a Juno 60 here and DeepMind 12D. I can assure it is more than a starter synth. I don't touch my Juno 60 now it has nothing at all on the Deepmind except perhaps the chorus is not bang on but if I find it lacking I use Tal's free chorus in my DAW but only rarely. The modulation options are very deep and go beyond most of the other synths that I have here except perhaps the Hydrasynth but it plenty deep and a beginner or experienced user could get lost in it. And the effect blocks are at least good not to mention the editor. Good that there are 1000+ preset slots . If it had "Roland" written on it would be a $2000 synth, would have 6 - 8 voices and a chorus and delay effect and we wouldn't complain about the price.

Scotty wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 am I have a Juno 60 here and DeepMind 12D. I can assure it is more than a starter synth.
Are you saying that it is not a starter synth, or that it is not only a starter synth but also great for experienced synth heads?

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 am
I scored an email from audiothingies 15 minutes ago...2nd batch is now for sale...and it’s a dual layer, six voices per layer or 12 voices on a single layer...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”