What was your first hardware synthesizer?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Roland SH-101 in 1985.

[ Saved paper round money for 6-months to buy it used ]

well, i was playing bass, some guitar, drums, sang a little (i am bad at it), but then got a hold of a waldorf XTK. game over. went into the microQ rack and keyboard set up and went on a tangent. bought a bunch of old and collectibles. had a room of dedicated hardware before long (collectibles and new).... and then... life changed. the synth room was turned into a kids room. i went inb. it all got sold. evolution seems to be happening again for me. a lot of ACE hardware out cheap rn.

Korg delta

i learned to play by playing along with The Cures Disintegration.

it rips when played through my guitar set up .

still have it

1 .- Elektron Machinedrum
2.- Nord lead 3
3.- Moog minitaur
4.- Elektron Analog Keys
5.- Roland System 8

I have realized over the years: Hardware has to be more immediate, so get something with lots of knobs.
dedication to flying

djboomstick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:21 pm Korg delta. i learned to play by playing along with The Cures Disintegration. it rips when played through my guitar set up .
One of my early favourites. It's filter had a really nice timbre to it and the fact it could play as many notes as you could hold down, like an organ, made it interesting. It was just paraphonic but infinitely so.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Radioshack Moog MG-1 and Yamaha CS5 both of which I still have. MG-1 has a midi and filter mod and now needs a repair which is lined up. CS5 is wonderful. I also had an SH1000 and I have no idea what I did with it.

:? I had a crappy Yamaha home organ thingy, but first proper synth was a Korg Wavestation, 1989. Considering I wanted to make Beltram style underground rave music at the time...probably not the best choice. In fact, definitely not the right choice. Still - it lasted longer than many of the subsequent synths I bought. Soon after that I bought a TB303 with 606 drum machine together for 100 quid. Sold them 6 months later for 160 quid. Note to my younger self...

...What the very f**k were you thinking, you knobhead!

My early choices were a bit haphazard.... :hihi:

My first hardware synthesizer was a computer with a copy of a standalone synth that could start recording what I played to a wav file when I hit the first note
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

My dad bought a Yamaha DOM-30 - a very basic GM soundset but had a built-in sequenceer, which was the start of my journey into recording my own music

First ones I bought with my own money were a Korg X5D and then a Roland JV1010

Korg Wavestation EX bought new in Southampton in 1992. I saved about a year for it. I was 18.

Korg minilogue xd module. Bought it last year unfortunately not using it as much as I should be - I have too many soft synths. I’ll probably trade this in for something that I will actually use... being eyeing a les Paul lately :)

cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:33 pm Radio Shack/Realistic/Moog Concertmate MG-1. My dad bought it back in '81 because he thought it would be cool to mess around with, and I basically took ownership of it.

Scotty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 am Radioshack Moog MG-1 ...

There's a free emulation from Cherry Audio:
https://www.pluginboutique.com/products ... page-nosto

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:33 pm Radio Shack/Realistic/Moog Concertmate MG-1. My dad bought it back in '81 because he thought it would be cool to mess around with, and I basically took ownership of it.

Scotty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 am Radioshack Moog MG-1 ...

There's a free emulation from Cherry Audio:
https://www.pluginboutique.com/products ... page-nosto
Whattt???!!!! No way, I might need to download that this weekend. :party:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

i asked my uncle for more details about which synth it was. f**king idiot doesn't remember, he's had loads!
yeah, helpful...

Yamaha PSR 520, 1996

You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”