Alchemical Reaction EP (2 tracks, psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Well you've seriously nailed the Psytrance sound and groove without a doubt - spot on (maybe a little over -squashed compared to some artists in the genre, but not in a huge way).
with some melodic bits.
Yeah, there are little melodic fragments in there, but not enough for my personal tastes...I wanted a few more strong lead lines about the bass riffs and rippling arpeggios.

But...many artists in Pys don't really use a lot of lead melody as such, so I can see that these will work alongside others in a DJ set as such.

Good production with some flowing musical ideas, but i suppose I always want melody to lead the way in music whatever the style! :)

One other thing - the 2 underlying, driving grooves above are quite similar in many ways...maybe they could've done with just a little bit more differentiation in some way?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thanks for listening!
ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm I always want melody to lead the way in music whatever the style! :)
Well, so do I actually... I used to make more melody-driven tracks. But as you said, the current sound of psy is pretty much focused on the groove and various SFX-style sounds with a just a little melody here and there as an auxiliary element. So these tracks are a kind of self-discipline excercise - how to write modern sounding psytrance without going too melodic :D
ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm One other thing - the 2 underlying, driving grooves above are quite similar in many ways...
Yes, that's the same psytrance groove everyone else is using :) I'll be trying more bass variations in my next tracks.
ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm maybe a little over -squashed compared to some artists in the genre, but not in a huge way
Agree on that, I need to learn how to make better masterable mixes, with more smooth dynamics. These were quite a challenge to the ME in this aspect, so there are some signs of over-compression - but that was a compromise needed to get them reasonably loud.

Thanks for your comments! :)

chewing on the edges! nice sound!

Loved the intros of both, and the breakdowns. Some of it is quite unique. Almost cinematic percussion is very good.
My favourite is the Achemical reaction.
Psy is not my genre tbh, I found the main sections not quite special enough to hold my interest.
Someone who is into this genre I'm sure would love it.

Thanks for listening guys! :)
Bansaw wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:01 pm I found the main sections not quite special enough to hold my interest.
well, maybe I'm sticking too much to the genre rules. I do sometimes complain that psytrance has become too generic sounding, but then I do exactly the same thing myself :D

Youtube versions (no actual video content, just a bit better quality playback)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2LzdjzxEw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eY0ZAVJxA

Alchemical Reaction is a really nice tune for long walks, have that on repeat a few times when stoned .. great knb has that punchy factor to it. not as clicky as say e-clip - but more muffled and still punchy; like that early 2010s sound i guess.

astralprojection wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm on repeat a few times when stoned
Thanks, that's how it's supposed to be listened I guess (when stoned ) :)
astralprojection wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm not as clicky as say e-clip - but more muffled and still punchy; like that early 2010s sound i guess.
Yes, I indeed prefer that oldschool-ish sound, like the stuff released by Tesseract and Iono circa 2009-2012.

escape from utopia: nice rythm. I liked the sound selection. good mix.

alchemical reaction: pleasant groovy synthesizer instrumental. nice soundscape

markkuja wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:53 pm escape from utopia: nice rythm. I liked the sound selection. good mix.

alchemical reaction: pleasant groovy synthesizer instrumental. nice soundscape
Thanks for listening! Glad you've found something to enjoy in there :)

Return to “Music Cafe”