How well do you think the Maschine+ did for NI?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just window shopping over at BAX shop (as you do :wink: ) and I noticed that the maschine+ is now £895 (from £1360) and they have 108 in stock! That seems like a very high stock level to me...do you think they didn't sell as well as expected or something?

Just curious, no axe to grind (I have an AKAI Live II and a Maschine Mikro!), I have been keeping an eye on the Machine+ as I have a lot of packs (Komplete 13U) and I like hardware/DAWless working....but still not sure where this one is going...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have no idea how Maschine+ has done sales-wise, but I don't see how it can compete for studio production use with its own little sibling, Maschine mk3, which also has a built-in audio interface, huge screens, etc., at half the cost. It seems that about the only people who would choose the + over the mk3 are whoever is buying standalone beatboxes these days (and I have absolutely no idea who or how many people are still doing that).

Incidentally, I've been considering upgrading from my mk2 to a mk3 for a while now. If I do, I'll probably buy it new, but I like to keep track of secondhand costs/deals, just in case I find a great deal and to have an idea of how much my mk2 would sell for. I've noticed that nobody in my area is selling used mk3s, but quite a few people are selling their mk1s, mk2s, and Maschine+'s, just fwiw.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

BAX actually have a 15% off deal at the moment so the Maschine+ comes out around £750....The MK3's go for around £450...so it isn't really that much more and can obviously be used just as a controller....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's clearly not selling if they've dropped the price by a third just 6 months after it was released....doesn't surprise me though, as it was way overpriced compared to other similar grooveboxes out there.

d-s-m wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm It's clearly not selling if they've dropped the price by a third just 6 months after it was released....doesn't surprise me though, as it was way overpriced compared to other similar grooveboxes out there.
It is only $100 more than an MPC Live...

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm BAX actually have a 15% off deal at the moment so the Maschine+ comes out around £750....The MK3's go for around £450...so it isn't really that much more and can obviously be used just as a controller....
What is this 15% off deal? Do you have a code?
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 pm
d-s-m wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm It's clearly not selling if they've dropped the price by a third just 6 months after it was released....doesn't surprise me though, as it was way overpriced compared to other similar grooveboxes out there.
Here in the UK the MPC Live 2 is £1040, and Maschine+ was £1360, so that's £320 more.

And the MPC Live 2 has built in battery and speakers....so not sure why NI feel they could charge more for a groovebox that is missing major features like that....guess that plan backfired though if they have to drop the price.

BAX with code DISCOUNT for machine+ (Like I said, they have 108 of them, so it sounds like they didn't fly of the shelves!)

discount code 15.00% - £133.35
Subtotal including VAT: £755.65
Shipping costs: Free

I bought the Live II over the Maschine+ for the reasons given (battery and speakers + it takes an internal SSD and has far better connectivity, CV etc) and am happy with the plugin instruments that come with it- the new AIR Drum Synth is very good and there is also Bassline, TubeSynth and Electric (with rumours of Loom and Hybrid coming soon...) + the Air Fx are as good as the NI stuff as far as I can tell. Workflow is great on Machine, but I have the software, the Mikro and a DELL XPS, that seems more portable and far more powerful than a Machine+ to me at the moment.

You can pick up B stock Live II's for under £900

https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/studio-equi ... 0MQAvD_BwE

d-s-m wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:04 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 pm
Here in the UK the MPC Live 2 is £1040, and Maschine+ was £1360, so that's £320 more.

And the MPC Live 2 has built in battery and speakers....so not sure why NI feel they could charge more for a groovebox that is missing major features like that....guess that plan backfired though if they have to drop the price.
Interesting... here in the US they are close to the same price.

I hated the pads on the MPC. They took way too much force for me. I literally couldn't use them to play a simple melody so I always needed a midi controller connected. I also didn't like the touch screen. I'm spoiled by the iPad Pro and how responsive and sharp it is. I prefer the non touch screens on the Maschine.

I also was disappointed with the included synths on the MPC Live. After a week of using them I knew I wouldn't bother using them. I think the NI stuff is significantly better/more sonically diverse. Plus of course since lots of people have NI synths, one can use ones own presets from the included synths.

Anyway, I think they are fairly comparable products and each with some advantages.

I don't think they are that comparable, they are different enough that someone could justify both :D

My Live II is both the heart of my DAWless studio with 4 midi, 6 out and 8 CV...It can also go in the garden 'stand alone', no power, not even headphones! That is worth something to me. I am not much of a 'pad' player on either MPC, more likely to sequence and I don't find I need to use the touch screen too often (MPC has the 'dials' input method as well, but its nice to have the touch option at least!)

Maschine+ big problem (for me) is that a Maschine Mikro and a small laptop more powerful and in many ways more portable, so adding a plus doesn't get me much as I already have Maschine.

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm I don't think they are that comparable, they are different enough that someone could justify both :D

My Live II is both the heart of my DAWless studio with 4 midi, 6 out and 8 CV...It can also go in the garden 'stand alone', no power, not even headphones! That is worth something to me. I am not much of a 'pad' player on either MPC, more likely to sequence and I don't find I need to use the touch screen too often (MPC has the 'dials' input method as well, but its nice to have the touch option at least!)
I'd rather just take my laptop out to the garden... more powerful, not limited to 8 audio tracks, much better synths, better sequencing, better/bigger screen, better workflow and less menu diving. :D

I continually come back to my own questions of why Battery is not built in to every Maschine. I get now why Massive has become necessary even though I've really come to personally dislike it's sound. And think it's a good idea that they now also include FM8, but would much prefer Absynth in the hardware rather than Reaktor or Kontakt. But having three main samplers now seems to present far too much overlap. There just always seems to be a short circuit in their thinking and it often hurts them as much or more than it helps them.

I would enjoy having a standalone piece of Maschine hardware. But this one isn't it.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm I don't think they are that comparable, they are different enough that someone could justify both :D

I'd rather just take my laptop out to the garden... more powerful, not limited to 8 audio tracks, much better synths, better sequencing, better/bigger screen, better workflow and less menu diving. :D
Well, essentially that just the hardware/software argument, but in a garden :-)

I can bang out the backing track, play it through the rather good speaker an jam along on my acoustic guitar- works for me, the speaker is the killer feature here! One small box = Monitor Speaker and the instrument (+ the audio IO if you need it for a Mike say). I would have to hang speakers an audio interface and a USB Controller minimum to get close to the MPC- that a lot less portable and a heck of a lot less 'just turn on and play'

All that said, most if the time its sat with my hardware synths and modular as a sequencer/looper...so its 2 for 1 for me and these are the things that Maschine+ cant do.

SLiC wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Well, essentially that just the hardware/software argument, but in a garden :-)

I can bang out the backing track, play it through the rather good speaker an jam along on my acoustic guitar- works for me, the speaker is the killer feature here! One small box = Monitor Speaker and the instrument (+ the audio IO if you need it for a Mike say). I would have to hang speakers an audio interface and a USB Controller minimum to get close to the MPC- that a lot less portable and a heck of a lot less 'just turn on and play'

All that said, most if the time its sat with my hardware synths and modular as a sequencer/looper...so its 2 for 1 for me and these are the things that Maschine+ cant do.
Good it works for you... That is why it is good to have lots of choices!

It is not the hardware/software argument... the MPC is a computer DAW... in some hardware. My laptop is also a computer DAW in some hardware. So it is a hardware/hardware argument.

After using the MPC Live (not v2) for a while, I felt like I was using a computer DAW (not an instrument), but with a less capable computer, tiny screen, too much menu-ing, less capable DAW and with included synths I didn't particularly like and no choice for anything else.

With my laptop, headphones, Babyface Pro and Linnstrument, I have a portable studio for traveling. It all fits comfortably in a backpack and all runs off of the laptop power. It is also far more capable than the MPC in almost every regard. Well, the MPC at least served to highlight how excellent my portable laptop setup is! :love:

And yeah, we have a wide variety of different tools available today to suit all our different interests and workflows. :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:53 pm
With my laptop, headphones, Babyface Pro and Linnstrument, I have a portable studio for traveling. It all fits comfortably in a backpack and all runs off of the laptop power. It is also far more capable than the MPC in almost every regard. Well, the MPC at least served to highlight how excellent my portable laptop setup is! :love:

And yeah, we have a wide variety of different tools available today to suit all our different interests and workflows. :tu:
Great setup :tu:

I have no doubt a good laptop can do almost everything all my hardware instruments can do (they are mainly computers in disguise anyway!) but I sit in front of a computer eight hours a day for work, I don't want to look at one when I am playing :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”