Samplers advice: LPX vs TAL

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I’m about to pull the trigger on some TAL synths and I noticed that there’s a multi-purchase discount, which means I could add TAL-Sampler for about half off ($32). It was never on my radar, since I’m primarily a Logic Pro X user, so I have Sampler, but TAL certainly looks great on paper and I see a lot of praise for it in various threads.

Before I buy it, I’d just like to hear from experienced users of both samplers. Do you prefer TAL for certain tasks or sounds? Any particular features that make TAL-Sampler a must-have? Or, is it mostly just redundant and I should save the $32 instead?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The new Logic Sampler and Quick Sampler are excellent. Since those came along, I wouldn't bother with another sampler. For me it is not about the $32, but rather the time spent.

I don't have Logic Pro X, but I have TAL-Sampler, and it's pretty nice. I found the workflow fairly straightforward, and the ability to change DAC emulations is a nice touch. I can't say how accurate they are, but it's still interesting to hear the differences and be able to use them to color the sound of the samples.

Some people are still developing sample packs for TAL-Sampler, which is cool because not everyone wants Kontakt. From what I've seen of the demos on the site, many of the presets, and people developing sample packs, the focus for the sampler seems to be more or less mid- to late-'80s. Of course, you can do much more with it, but the DAC emulations and presets are geared toward that time period.

If you've seen any of Espen Kraft's videos, he's mentioned some of the sample packs he's made for the TAL-Sampler:
https://thepatchbay.co.uk/product/tal-s ... pen-kraft/
https://thepatchbay.co.uk/product/tal-s ... -poly-800/
I'm sure there are more people developing for it -- these are just from two videos of Espen's I've seen.

All that said, you might want to just try out the demo -- but be sure to download all the presets if you do. I've found that, while many people on KVR want to be helpful in suggesting plug-ins, they don't necessarily know specifically what you want, and/or they may not be quite as discerning when it comes to spending your money. (I found that out recently when I went with the general consensus here in buying Cherry Audio's DCO-106.) ;)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Tal sampler is a little different from other samplers. Nice vintage stretch and converter models. So best for more lo-fi stuff. Also good for multitouch and mpe.

If you dig the sound of lo-fi samples and crunchy, grungy choirs from the 1980s/1990s, then it's a must-have. The way the samples grunt in the lower registers is amazing and instantly reminiscent of old-school sampling. Just demo it and see for yourself if you like the sound specifically.

I actually use TAL Sampler for it's great workflow, though it's sound is also nice.
I'm on Reaper though and not someone who would consider it's onboard ReaSamplomatic sufficient.

Only thing i'm missing is actually sampling and resampling, which is - at least as far as i'm concerned - actually a big part of the fun of old school samplers (the main marketing blurb for TAL Sampler)

If you have a capable sampler inside your DAW, you don't really need it, unless you're really in need for old school sampler sounds and can't get it elsewhere.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Tal sampler is absolutly amazing , deep modulation routings , awesome filters , nice gritt etc a
Don't forget to download the huge library from the site ..some real gems in there , old skool roland stuff etc..
Sometimes I just make a track with only tal sampler and the library for instant 8o's vibe
Go for it :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I’m planning on making my TAL synth purchases this weekend and won’t have a lot of time to demo it, let alone do an in-depth comparison with Logic Sampler, so I appreciate all the responses. I think I’ll just go for it at that price since it’s a cheap way to satisfy my current bout of GAS, and something about it seems sorta inspiring (and I need some creative inspiration these days to get out of my creative rut). :help: :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:28 pm Wow, thanks for all the replies! I’m planning on making my TAL synth purchases this weekend and won’t have a lot of time to demo it, let alone do an in-depth comparison with Logic Sampler, so I appreciate all the responses. I think I’ll just go for it at that price since it’s a cheap way to satisfy my current bout of GAS, and something about it seems sorta inspiring (and I need some creative inspiration these days to get out of my creative rut). :help: :lol:
I love TAL, but it’s not something you’ll use to get realistic multi-sample instrument sounds out of. It’s really about retro sounding lo-fi types of sounds. I love loading up a simple sound with a large cross fade time and a lot of DAC artifacts and experiment with modulating loop points. You can get really dreamy stuff with an old school vibe that would be hard to get using anything else.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

[quote=zerocrossing post_id=8079009 time=1618077564 user_id=111565
I love TAL, but it’s not something you’ll use to get realistic multi-sample instrument sounds out of. It’s really about retro sounding lo-fi types of sounds. I love loading up a simple sound with a large cross fade time and a lot of DAC artifacts and experiment with modulating loop points. You can get really dreamy stuff with an old school vibe that would be hard to get using anything else.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have Kontakt for realistic sounds, so I just like the idea a lightweight, simple sampler for interesting vintage/lowfi sounds. Thanks!

Update: Just for the hell of it, I added another plugin to my cart, and the price only moved a few bucks, so I added another, and another, until I had the entire TAL payware lineup in my cart and it ended up only adding $3 more after all the multi-plugin purchase savings. Pretty much made it a no-brainer AFAIC. So, I downloaded all their freeware too. :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:

cryophonik wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:40 pm Update: Just for the hell of it, I added another plugin to my cart, and the price only moved a few bucks, so I added another, and another, until I had the entire TAL payware lineup in my cart and it ended up only adding $3 more after all the multi-plugin purchase savings. Pretty much made it a no-brainer AFAIC. So, I downloaded all their freeware too. :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:

I guess it's aimed at a kinda retro feel crowd, it's quite limited, but fits a very specific niche very well

cryophonik wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:40 pm Update: Just for the hell of it, I added another plugin to my cart, and the price only moved a few bucks, so I added another, and another, until I had the entire TAL payware lineup in my cart and it ended up only adding $3 more after all the multi-plugin purchase savings. Pretty much made it a no-brainer AFAIC. So, I downloaded all their freeware too. :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
Did the same a while ago.
Haven't looked back.
Top quality products and support.

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:13 pm I guess it's aimed at a kinda retro feel crowd, it's quite limited, but fits a very specific niche very well
Limited in what way ?
Sure it is not meant to load giga byte libraries , but it can do stuff no other sampler can do
Have you actually tried it ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”