OWL. - Hope (Original Mix)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

KVRAF
1515 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Nice.
I like the human voice in there, gives us a deeper connection to track.
Mixing, not sure. There's just something that could be improved for me. Perhaps a bit more separation between elements. The pads you are using are frequency hogs, as trance pads usually are.

KVRAF
5316 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Well done! Good old trance :) The track doesn't reinvent the wheel but for what it is it's very good.

The production sounds great to me, i think trance is not supposed to have very clear separation between the parts. Here it sounds just right.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

KVRer
20 posts since 20 Mar, 2005

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 am

Can't really comment on the quality of the mix (...still myself a newbie...) but the song idea is nice! I agree this sounds tends to lean more back to late 90s / early 2000s which makes it more appealing for me at least... Also nice vocals. Good stuff!

KVRer

Topic Starter

20 posts since 15 Jan, 2013

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 am

Thanks guys for kind words :) Im glad that You enjoyed it :)

KVRian
1072 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 am

Some really good musical elements in there - enjoyed the listen! :)

Overall, production was pretty good too...not keen on the dominant kick, but I know that's the trend in a lot of modern trance tracks!

For me the only issue was the separation between parts and the overall soundstage - yeah, Trance is awash with reverb more than some other Club dance styles, but...

1) Most parts needs to be clearly heard and have their own discrete place in the mix to at least some extent.
2) For a mix to truly 'pop' and shine it needs to have depth as well as width.

Personally, in this one, I found that it was all a little bit too blended together at times with the reverberation too dominant...

Bit of EQing to unmask certain elements + making certain aspects a little bit drier might be what I'd do, but it's all subjective and it does work as it stands. I also think that at times the pads and leads have quite similar tonal qualities that make them morph together a little bit too much and prevent the melodies from truly soaring above it all!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRer

Topic Starter

20 posts since 15 Jan, 2013

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 am

That's the thing Trance is not easy to mix, and I don't think sound separation is crucial in that genre BUT Im happy that You all mentioned this I will definitely pay more attention to that part of mixing in next production. I even know what can eliminate that sort of problem when big pads can masks some other sounds so I think I have some sort of solution in my head already :D Cheers guys again for response :D

KVRist
93 posts since 7 Aug, 2011

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm a hard trance fan and from my perspective this track sounds fine as far as mix and clarity goes, not sure if there is too much reverb, maybe because I like this kind of sound.
And sowik66 is right, instrument separation in uplifting trance is not that important... Well it kind of is but it isn't :D Everything needs to eventually blend (not always of course) to the point you almost can't tell "where" the sound is, but if turned off it should be noticable immediately - this applies especially to midbass when you ask me. There are many trance producers going for cleaner and I would say more dry sound though.
Enjoyable track for sure but I liked "Together" way more, it was such a good song, a "download" actually.

KVRian
1072 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:08 am

Mix clarity via some degree of sound separation is central to mixing in ALL styles of music.

I do fully get the point that some modern Trance productions give the impression that it's not been looked at quite as much in the mixing process, but that's not how the the vast majority of the big producers go about it...

They generally go through similar basic mixing routines that are found in subtle variations on a theme everywhere...

Focusing on frequency content, dynamics, masking, stereo spread, 3D sound stage etc etc etc and only when the basics are in place will they usually fine tune that modern Trance sound by subtly tweaking various settings so that certain aspects are gently washed with carefully sculpted reverb and the whole sound is morphed together in the most effective way!

That way, you get warmth, depth, width, clarity, punch and richness all at the same time in your piece... But it usually takes a lot of patience and a very detailed, organized approach.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Return to “Music Cafe”