Any love for Dmitry Sches Thorn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I like all DS synths, also, nice guy.

there are two ways to buy and install PA. you can purchase individual licenses that are simple serials, or, once you have a handful of plugs use their very lite software manager, which i like a lot. one of the better ones out there.

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm I got the CM version with a few less features. Does anyone know whether patches made in the CM version will load fine in the full version?
Effectsworks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 am
nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am That said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
Agreed... Thorn is a very bass heavy synth. And Diversion has a vast array of sound design capabilities.

Of course, it's nice to have both. :)
What makes it "bass heavy"? I'm sure it can be used for other type of sounds as well?
The EQ section rams up the bass - but in a good way. Of course it can do a wide array of sounds. But given Diversion's architecture makes it a design powerhouse. The custom waveforms and the way you can play and modulate different parts makes it awesome. Cool FX section too!

ferez21 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:52 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:48 pm
mountainmaster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:44 am I like Thorn very much. 3 or 4 years ago it was my main synth. I never noticed any CPU hogging even though I used an older 2009 PC back then.
Thorn is great with CPU.
If you play a sine wave with 0 unison, yeah it is.
It is definitely not the worse CPU hog out there, but CPU quickly spikes once you start making more complicated patches.
Well, Thorn is not that CPU hungry compared to others like Serum. Dune and Thorn are both great synthesizers with capabilities that make them one of my favorites and about CPU well, light as a feather, of course if your plan is using DUNE with the 8 voices with 3 osc each and 32 unison for each one and 4 msegs or Thorn with the 3 osc all filters arp and glitch, FX, modulation and full unison, damn of course your CPU will cry, every synth out there when dealing with many unison voices will start cracking its performance.

You can't expect a space jet engine to consume as a hair dryer.

I posted this track earlier in the thread. I decided to remix it to fix some shortcoming of the previous mix. Here it is... its 10 tracks of Thorn, BFD3 and Mictrotonic and effects to mix and master.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... -of-dmitry

plexuss wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 am I posted this track earlier in the thread. I decided to remix it to fix some shortcoming of the previous mix. Here it is... its 10 tracks of Thorn, BFD3 and Mictrotonic and effects to mix and master.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... -of-dmitry
Sounds fantastic! love the progression. Good work :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

How is Thorn in terms of CPU usage, does it compare with something like Hive 2?

Hive is lighter, it was built from the ground up specifically for the cpu conscious crowd. i could not get along with deriving math formulae for oscillators and such though, not my thing, especially with that U-he crowd all trying to out ego each other. it's a beautiful piece of design tho.

Thanks.

Thorn using samples from hardware synths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlXBQpf ... e=youtu.be

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 pm I got the CM version with a few less features. Does anyone know whether patches made in the CM version will load fine in the full version?
I discovered that the CM version can load the presets from the full demo version. Obviously you won't have the third oscillator or additional effects of the full version , but the file format is compatible, so I'm pretty sure it would work the other way too. Makes sense for the full version to be able to open presets made in the lite CM version.
Otherwise it wouldn't work so well as bait! :)

I must admit I kinda put Thorn on ice until all the release hype here died down, then about a year later went back to it with a fresh perspective, and it's one of the most solid vsts around. Sound-wise of course, stellar, but also the little things like an easy to use visual arp, midi output to DAW track so you can trigger other synths, and a basic but sensible preset browser.that just works.
Minimal bells and whistles and complexity, just a very solid product all round. And I just have the CM version, I don't think I need to upgrade at all. Would rather layer 2 CMs together for bigger sounds. Probably more flexible that way too.
I kinda feel a bit bad that DS isn't getting a full sale from me because I'm so content with the CM version.
Definitely much more than just a bass synth. You can do so much with Thorn and even get wonderful sweet tones that don't sound harsh or edgy at all. The reverb is just superb too imo.

If you feel bad you can always buy the full version and not install it. Maybe when it's $29 at PA?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The extra filters and oversampling really made $30 a no brainer upgrade for me.
3rd oscillator is nice to have as a source of FM for oscillator 2.

crickey13 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:30 am How is Thorn in terms of CPU usage, does it compare with something like Hive 2?
It is as mentioned above overall lighter than Hive 2 on the CPU, especially the effects section. The exception is unison which the U-he synth seems to handle a tiny bit better, but Thorn is no Diversion when you turn unison on thankfully.

Although Thorn is not quite in my top 3 it is a fun synth and can do a lot of things well. I can understand why some people call it harsh though.
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

xalama qo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 am
I discovered that the CM version can load the presets from the full demo version. Obviously you won't have the third oscillator or additional effects of the full version , but the file format is compatible, so I'm pretty sure it would work the other way too. Makes sense for the full version to be able to open presets made in the lite CM version.
Otherwise it wouldn't work so well as bait! :)

I must admit I kinda put Thorn on ice until all the release hype here died down, then about a year later went back to it with a fresh perspective, and it's one of the most solid vsts around. Sound-wise of course, stellar, but also the little things like an easy to use visual arp, midi output to DAW track so you can trigger other synths, and a basic but sensible preset browser.that just works.
Minimal bells and whistles and complexity, just a very solid product all round. And I just have the CM version, I don't think I need to upgrade at all. Would rather layer 2 CMs together for bigger sounds. Probably more flexible that way too.
I kinda feel a bit bad that DS isn't getting a full sale from me because I'm so content with the CM version.
Definitely much more than just a bass synth. You can do so much with Thorn and even get wonderful sweet tones that don't sound harsh or edgy at all. The reverb is just superb too imo.
I can sell you my copy of Thorn for $20 since i dont use it much :)

Return to “Instruments”