Steinberg built-in synths (Spector, Mystic, etc)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everything else from Wolfram Franke after the A1 synth is miles better anyway. :P

I was using Retrologue in a track only yesterday and the more I delve into it, the more I love it. My personal opinion is that for a DAW vst especially, it sounds awesome.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

fmr wrote:
Numanoid wrote:What happened to A1 ?

It was licensed from Waldorf, and programmed by Wolfram Franke. Since Wolfram isn't even with Waldorf anymore, I guess that answers your question :shrug:
Are you professionally obnoxious or is it just a hobby you're extremely devoted to?

ramseysounds wrote:I was using Retrologue in a track only yesterday and the more I delve into it, the more I love it. My personal opinion is that for a DAW vst especially, it sounds awesome.
You just made me re-install Retrologue. Thanks. :lol:

chk071 wrote:
ramseysounds wrote:I was using Retrologue in a track only yesterday and the more I delve into it, the more I love it. My personal opinion is that for a DAW vst especially, it sounds awesome.
You just made me re-install Retrologue. Thanks. :lol:
Welcome :D
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Aren't these coded by Virsyn ( for cubase )?

Yes. Prologue, Spector and Mystic are all extracted from Virsyn Tera (which had like six synth engines built-in). Each of these is one of those synth engines alone. I find them quite good, actually, and original. Virsyn Tera was (is) a do it all synth that was only surpassed by Zebra 2, when it came out.

Too bad that Virsyn neglected their synth heritage. Tera, Cube and Poseidon were (are) all impressive synths.
Just a bit of history on the subject.
Back in 2002, Steinberg released a VST instrument under the name: "D'cota". It contained the same three Analog, Spectrum and Wave synths as we find in the current Cubase installations of Spector, Mystic and Prologue. I'm going to assume D'cota was the predecessor to the Virsyn unit, before Steinberg's licensing agreement must have ran out, as Tera (64 bit) has 3 more modules in it, than D'cota had.
On a number of Macs

I remember I tried to use these early Steinberg synths like Spector, Mystic, Spector, but I always had problems. They had a kind of interesting sound with some hidden gem preset, but their overall sound quality and flexibility was somehow limited.

But the worst was that I always run into deal-breaker bugs that ruined my workflow. As far as I remember, one did not saved patch correctly, the other had serious glitch in the sound.. do not remember exactly, but I remember the feeling of "ok, lets's skip these".

Retrologue 1 and 2 was the product of the newly assembled HALion team at Steinberg, and although it uses mainly the new HALion technology (oscillators, filters, etc. are the same) it was a huge leap forward both in functionality and sound quality. And Retrologue is amongst the very few VSTi's that allows you full preset morphing (you can read more about this here in the Retrologue 1 and 2 reviews.)

Weasel-Boy wrote: Back in 2002, Steinberg released a VST instrument under the name: "D'cota". It contained the same three Analog, Spectrum and Wave synths as we find in the current Cubase installations of Spector, Mystic and Prologue. I'm going to assume D'cota was the predecessor to the Virsyn unit, before Steinberg's licensing agreement must have ran out, as Tera (64 bit) has 3 more modules in it, than D'cota had.
I don't remember exactly, but if I'm not wrong, TERA 1 already existed when Steinberg released D'Cota. D'Cota was like a simplified TERA. Later, Virsyn offered a crossgrade from D'Cota to TERA 2:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/virsyn_off ... grade_2569
Fernando (FMR)

So, it happens I was right :) :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Numanoid wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:30 pm What happened to A1 ?

Greed/politics. Steinberg's head in its ass. It's surfaced again recently free of all Steinberg's influence. It's the brainchild of Waldorf (mostly obviously) and two of the most talented programmers in the entire VA community.

Retrologue does not have the balls of A1

MutantHero wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 am Retrologue does not have the balls of A1
Why is that?

I have spent more time with Retrologue 2 recently, it is a very versatile synth. I even started to familiarize myself with the resonator section that I had ignored for some time, it can do unusual things that hardly any other synth can, like with my saxophone patch :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/m7hqavsoszv7jrbn99nzxvgjyzd3di06

I am not going down the snarky troll-y path on this forum. Congrats on your sax patch :tu:

Well, I think it is normal for people to wonder what you meant, once that you said it :wink:

Does it sound too soft? Not enough bass?

Return to “Instruments”