Good interface for vocals

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I have a Scarlett 2i2 and have been thinking that maybe an interface with better preamps would make a difference when recording vocals. I've been looking at the Clarett 2Pre and the Tascam 102i. So something in the $300-$400 range.
But I also wonder if it's just GAS and I'm fooling myself by thinking that the difference would be noticeable.
What's your experience?

I run my mics through an ART tube preamp before the interface input.
https://artproaudio.com/product/pro-mpa ... ic-preamp/
Much happier with the sound and warmth I get that way.

Interesting, they have a single channel model as well. I'm checking the reviews.

I use one side for my wife, and the other for myself.

What mic(s) are you using? That would probably have a bigger difference than most interface preamps, which are generally designed to be neutral. I also use an external preamp (Focusrite ISA 220 Session Pack) for vocals.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Two Sennheiser dynamic. One AKG condenser, and sometimes my old Peavey dynamic or our two AKG headset dynamics. The main things I feel I'm gettting is a nice tube warmth and improved signal going in.
(BTW, it does have phantom power for the condenser, although it doesn't handle having one side set to phantom and the other not.)

I have a Clarett and i really love the Air function of preamps, for the voice! Yes, a dedicated preamp is the best solution, but if you want to save money, a Clarett 2 or 4 pre can be a good solution for you!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”