First hardware synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wormhelmet wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:49 am I picked up a Novation KS4 for $250 used. 61 keys, aftertouch, lots of controls.
Seems like a very nice synths. I've heard loads of demos from it. Very good price too, they usually go for much more than that here... (if there are any at all, which is rare enough)

If I had to choose as a beginner it would be the Minilogue XD or the Deepmind. Probably with the edge to the XD.

The reface is too limited and with its dinky sized controls.

canadian_moose wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:12 am If I had to choose as a beginner it would be the Minilogue XD or the Deepmind. Probably with the edge to the XD.

Okay, and why the edge to the XD?

Ok, I thought too long about it; so many options. But I settled with the Poly D. No presets, though.

LocalTrack19 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:22 pm
canadian_moose wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:12 am If I had to choose as a beginner it would be the Minilogue XD or the Deepmind. Probably with the edge to the XD.

Okay, and why the edge to the XD?
Bit more menu diving on the Deepmind and the second oscillator can only be a triangle if I recall correctly. Its just my own preference really.
However, if you really dig the effects and 'Juno' type sound of the Deepmind then maybe that would be better.

I had an XD for a while but I found 4 voices limiting. I demoed the Deepmind 12, the Prologue 8 and the Prophet Rev2.

Went for a Rev2 in the end (which a lot of people would frown at based on things I have read)

Strongly suggest trying the Deepmind vs the XD if you can or if not, narrow down your video watching to those two and take a plunge. :D

Pretty sure that ya'all are not telling the truth on this "first" "hardware" synth biz. Still waiting for a good emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxGxl-IbVFk

If you want to save money you can start with a cheap Behringer Crave!

pedronico wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 am If you want to save money you can start with a cheap Behringer Crave!
Always seemed too limited when I had an eye on it. And, it will probably lead to other Crave companions, to at least have two oscillators, and some more features. :P

Out of interest, though. If I bought 2 Craves, could I route them to a single filter, and also use a separate amp and filter envelope then?

Picked up the Minilogue XD last night, very nice instrument! Looking forward to learn synthesis, unfortunately the Fred Welsh synthesizer cookbook cannot be delivered to my country, so if anyone has a digital version I am interested.
Thanks for all the advice!

Nice choice! Enjoy.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

canadian_moose wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:55 pmWent for a Rev2 in the end (which a lot of people would frown at based on things I have read)
F those people. The REV2 rules. Only those with discerning taste can appreciate it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The korg minilogue is a neat lil machine you can get a good chunk of change out of, though i'd almost recommend just saving a bit longer and copping the XD. Way more features, additional voices, not to mention the matte black finish. You're not really going to yield anything particularly remarkable till you shoot up into the 1000$ category (the moog grandmother and some oberheim models come to mind).

kaspien2021 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 pm The korg minilogue is a neat lil machine you can get a good chunk of change out of, though i'd almost recommend just saving a bit longer and copping the XD. Way more features, additional voices, not to mention the matte black finish. You're not really going to yield anything particularly remarkable till you shoot up into the 1000$ category (the moog grandmother and some oberheim models come to mind).
I got myself the XD, and so far I am really happy with it. It’s my first synth and I just started to learn synthesis, started with Syntorial and it is fun to learn new stuff especially in lockdown

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”