Pianoteq 7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

He didn't mention Piano V in his post. I assume he refers to Pianoteq Stage instead, which is sometimes part of the software bundle for Arturia controller keyboards. ;)

Edit: never mind, upon a second read I think it was me who misunderstood... :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

davidka wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:01 am I'd like to ask an owner of a real Rhodes, how does the Pianoteq Electric Pianos model compare?
I own a real Rhodes (Mark 1) but not Pianoteq. Also have a Wurlitzer 200 (not the 200A but mine has been restored by Vintage Vibe and is quiet). Also have a tube Wurlitzer 120 that I never play. So can't comment on Pianotec but right now my favorite virtual Rhodes and Wurli's are the Acoustic Samples VTines and VReeds respectively.

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:11 am Most recordings that you hear of a Electra-piano are from the '70s, and a lot of the warm woolly fat sound is actually coming from the recording medium and technology of the day. You could make the Pianoteq model splatter, too, with some generous tape saturation.

Accounting for superficial differences between the performances, and the real and virtual recording environments and technology, these two sound essentially like the same instrument to me:

https://youtu.be/cMarNNEoMes

https://www.modartt.com/data/audio/pian ... cifica.mp3

:shrug:
What I hear is that the Hohner sounds a bit like Wurli. There's that reed sound there, and you can hear a bit of bark in the examples posted. I disagree with jens saying it does not sound funky. It sounds quite funky in each of the example videos (or rather, it would if someone actually played some funk on it). The Moddartt example sounds way more mellow and tine like, based on the example posted, which...not at all like any of the Hohner YouTube clips posted IMO. I agree with whoever posted that they sound like two different instruments. That's what I'm getting too.

Note: never played a Hohner Electra in my life. But the YouTube samples all sound like one instrument, and the Modartt example all sound like another. Just my two cents.

Probably gonna pick up Pianoteq 7 Stage for the first time soon. Only two packs... I definitely want a really nice all round piano sound AND a Rhodes sound (so will get the Electric Pianos pack). Really loving the slightly dark and creamy demos of the new Petrof, so probably that too.

Question: If you could only choose ONE of the grand piano packs as the best all rounder, for home practise, composition, and recording, which would you choose?
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:41 pm...
Question: If you could only choose ONE of the grand piano packs as the best all rounder, for home practise, composition, and recording, which would you choose?
If I could only pick one, I'd go for the Grotrian for its overall warmth and presence (in most of its presets).

However, I also have and enjoy the Bluthner, the Steingraeber and the YC5 which I use for different tasks (eg, the YC5 is my reggae piano).

They are all excellent, as are other Pianoteq creations, but listen to the demos via the product page links for a better comparison (as per your tastes):
https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq?tab=instruments

Thanks, I'll spend some time with their demos.

Same for me : Grotrian impressed me the most.

But still, it sounds far from 100% realistic. If you still can hear the high frequencies and if your speakers can reproduce them correctly, you’ll notice how wrong they are.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I have the Pianoteq 7 Studio bundle. The Modern pianos I play the most for enjoyment are the Steinways, YC5, C. Bechstein, and K2, probably in that order.

You really can’t go wrong with the Steinway D pack if you’re only getting one. Like the Ant. Petrof pack, you get two models in it, and they’re top notch.

I think the Grotrian and especially the Blüthner are too dark and woolly for an all-rounder.

The Antonín Petrofs are softer than the Steinways, but not as dark as the Grotrian and Blüthner. A second model makes the Ant. Petrof pack a good value and very attractive.

The YC5 (Yamaha C5) is very lively and a real joy to play. It’s the brightest of all the modern grands in Pianoteq. C5s are the most common pianos found at both conservatory schools and rock concerts.

The K2 is one of the most powerful sounding models in all of Pianoteq. It was designed to be an “ideal” piano, which is both a strength and a weakness, because it isn’t a model of any one piano. It has 97 keys like a Bösendorfer Imperial 290, but it doesn’t appear to be a model of one. The lack of a modern Bösendorfer is the Achilles’s heel of Pianoteq.

I like the Steingraeber & Söhne, but it sounds a bit weak when compared to the Steinways or Bechstein head to head, so I end up going for one of them when I want that kind of tonality.

The U4 upright is often overlooked in Pianoteq discussions. I usually play it with hardened hammers and a good bit of age because I love a good tack piano. But I really wish Modartt would add a mandolin rail to the selection of foot pedals.

I use the fortepianos and historic pianos a lot, and would really love a ragtime Wing & Son with all the rinky-tink rails.
Last edited by jamcat on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

My favorite is the Bechstein
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

I love the new Ant - wasn't so keen on the old one.

Another great historic piano that Modartt ought to model is Mrs. Mills, the 1905 Steinway Model K "Vertegrand" in Abbey Road Studios. Let's just say it has been on some well-known records.

Two companies I'd like to see:
Hamilton
Baldwin
(I remember reading once where the latter bought the former just to claim that the "father of time" preferred them.)

And I half-expected a Fazoli to be showing up soon.

Yes. Fazioli and Bösendorfer both NEED to be in there.

Anyone know if pianoteq 7 is more cpu consuming than 6?

Caleb9 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:02 pm Anyone know if pianoteq 7 is more cpu consuming than 6?
I haven't noticed, seems to be the same.

Return to “Instruments”