U-he repro vs phase plant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm Why would anyone choose repro over diva or diva over phase plant etc.

To me they all sound like....... Synths.
There are several reasons. Gossip and marekting seem to be as important as the subjective perception.

But let´s say it like this: choices today are rather made in a horizontal dimension, so you´d chose Repro besides Dune or what ever.

Repro sounds pretty different than others btw. And you don´t have to tell gtreen fields from cold steel rails. I think you just have to like the tool and feel comfortable. And maybe have some kind of comparison or alternatives.

Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm I gotta admit that I can't tell any synths apart. I can't tell a moog from a prophet etc.

Why would anyone choose repro over diva or diva over phase plant etc.

Repo has fixed architecture as its based on hardware, its pretty standard subtractive VA stuff and if your not really in to synths then they will all sound the same (like if your not in to guitars you probably won't tell a les Paul from a Strat, but other will be able tell you when the pick-ups were made!)

The main difference here is that Phase Pant is more modular and doesn't have fixed architecture or just one type of synthesis, so is far more flexible and capable of a wider range of sounds. It could still sound like Repo (if you made a subtractive VA type sound) but it could also sound very different by combining FM, wavetable, samples etc in one patch.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

GRUMP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 amAnd you don´t have to tell gtreen fields from cold steel rails. I think you just have to like the tool and feel comfortably numb.
FTFY :clown:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Urs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am
GRUMP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 amAnd you don´t have to tell gtreen fields from cold steel rails. I think you just have to like the tool and feel comfortably numb.
FTFY :clown:

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Nice guy as always, but pleae check the ethymologic spelling before you freeze ☝️😉

Basically, you can recreate any synth sound if you just learn C++

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm Basically, you can recreate any synth sound if you just learn C++
Any C sounds the same.

FotoxBr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm Basically, you can recreate any synth sound if you just learn C++
Any C sounds the same.
That's why you need to use assembly language...
Always Read the Manual!

Unfortunately C won't help you to stimulate other peoples emotions and make them confirm your creations, but the language for that is well known to everybody and simple in comparison. Despite of grammatical complications for sure :|

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am
Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm I gotta admit that I can't tell any synths apart. I can't tell a moog from a prophet etc.

Repo has fixed architecture as its based on hardware, its pretty standard subtractive VA stuff and if your not really in to synths then they will all sound the same (like if your not in to guitars you probably won't tell a les Paul from a Strat, but other will be able tell you when the pick-ups were made!)

The main difference here is that Phase Pant is more modular and doesn't have fixed architecture or just one type of synthesis, so is far more flexible and capable of a wider range of sounds. It could still sound like Repo (if you made a subtractive VA type sound) but it could also sound very different by combining FM, wavetable, samples etc in one patch.

I am a guitarist and I can tell you that you cannot tell the difference from when pickups were made. You can tell that a tele cuts through more than others and a jazz box sounds more full. I can tell a Martin from a Taylor in person blind folded, but that also involves touch. On record.... I would have no idea if a guitar was a Martin, Taylor, or a Gibson. I can tell if it was a small body or dreadnought etc. But beyond that, once it is on record it is damn hard to tell. But I am generally interested in synthesis because I did demo Diva and own repro.... I am also currently subscribing to Kilohearts in order to use phase plant...I can say that I prefer the presets in repro more than phase plant.... But I would think that I could program phase plant to be very similar. So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:36 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:23 am

You should change your hobby. Maybe floral arrangement?

Yeah, you ain't from around here, are ya boy?

GIT 'IM, FELLAS!!!

I say we let’m go.
LOL. And this is your music??? Ok bro

https://open.spotify.com/artist/69FkPuXHI8bjklN8yEbs3o
Uh, that’s a children’s song that I did for a commercial for a book. My music isn’t anything like that.

My stuff is like this.

http://zerocrossing.net/MP3s/A_Catalog_of_Conquests.mp3
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

GRUMP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am
Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm Why would anyone choose repro over diva or diva over phase plant etc.

There are several reasons. Gossip and marekting seem to be as important as the subjective perception.

But let´s say it like this: choices today are rather made in a horizontal dimension, so you´d chose Repro besides Dune or what ever.

Repro sounds pretty different than others btw. And you don´t have to tell gtreen fields from cold steel rails. I think you just have to like the tool and feel comfortable. And maybe have some kind of comparison or alternatives.
But, which one is pink?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm
I am a guitarist and I can tell you that you cannot tell the difference from when pickups were made.
The pre-CBS debates on guitar forums are legendary (hand wound vs machine wound, materials etc)! I am not saying I can tell, that that some people think there is a difference on pick ups you can hear pre '65 etc.
Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc
Again, could probably use the guitar analogy here...or pretty much any music once it has been 'produced'. I have a lot of guitars and a lot of hardware synths, I use software synths as they are so convenient and some are outstanding, but I prefer the real thing when possible. Not because it sounds better, I just don't like computers ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm I can tell a Martin from a Taylor in person blind folded,
But would you use a Martin to do a cover of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" ? Oh sure you could run an acoustic through a distortion pedal but then it's going to sound like an acoustic through a distortion pedal.

(EDIT: Before someone types it yes I know there is an acoustic version of Enter Sandman but obviously I'm talking about the electric version)

Not all synths sound the same if you expand your definition of synthesis beyond simple saw waves.

A Korg Triton can sound dramatically different than a Korg MonoPoly.

In the end it just depends on what sounds are important to you and your music. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am

I am a guitarist and I can tell you that you cannot tell the difference from when pickups were made. You can tell that a tele cuts through more than others and a jazz box sounds more full. I can tell a Martin from a Taylor in person blind folded, but that also involves touch. On record.... I would have no idea if a guitar was a Martin, Taylor, or a Gibson. I can tell if it was a small body or dreadnought etc. But beyond that, once it is on record it is damn hard to tell. But I am generally interested in synthesis because I did demo Diva and own repro.... I am also currently subscribing to Kilohearts in order to use phase plant...I can say that I prefer the presets in repro more than phase plant.... But I would think that I could program phase plant to be very similar. So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc
Repro is an emulation of a ‘64 Strat into a Fender Twin with a bunch of cool vintage pedals and a few mods. In comparison, Phase Plant is a modern graphite neck 7 string with a locking transtrem and motorized tuners with active pickups, a piezo-pickup and a hex-pickup going into a Fractal AxeFX III.
Last edited by zerocrossing on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pmBut I am generally interested in synthesis because I did demo Diva and own repro.... I am also currently subscribing to Kilohearts in order to use phase plant...I can say that I prefer the presets in repro more than phase plant.... But I would think that I could program phase plant to be very similar. So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc
Good luck getting a Pro One to sound like a DX7 :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”