U-he repro vs phase plant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pmMy stuff is like this.

http://zerocrossing.net/MP3s/A_Catalog_of_Conquests.mp3
:tu:

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm
Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pmBut I am generally interested in synthesis because I did demo Diva and own repro.... I am also currently subscribing to Kilohearts in order to use phase plant...I can say that I prefer the presets in repro more than phase plant.... But I would think that I could program phase plant to be very similar. So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc
Good luck getting a Pro One to sound like a DX7 :hihi:
The issue is not knowing and not even knowing that you’re not knowing. There’s going to be some overlap between most subtractive synths, or ones with hybrid engines, but even between them you’ll find big differences if you listen. I mean, just load up a basic detuned oscillators filter sweep patch in Diva and go through the different filters, without changing settings. Now go through the different oscillators.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:08 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pmMy stuff is like this.

http://zerocrossing.net/MP3s/A_Catalog_of_Conquests.mp3
:tu:
Thanks. I should probably at least remix that Twinkle Twinkle song. I purposely mixed it to sound decent coming out of a phone or tablet because it goes to a video that was a Facebook ad. A bunch of the book customers asked for it to be accessible so I just threw it up on Spotify and I was too busy to remix it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm
I am a guitarist
well that explains pretty much everything.
pack it up boys

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:00 pm
I am a guitarist
pack it up boys
I’m a guitarist... there is hope for his kind. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:00 pm
I am a guitarist
pack it up boys
I’m a guitarist... there is hope for his kind. :lol:
so am I - or, at least i used to be. I found that since i stopped playing actively I find myself understanding stuff better

For a really long time my synthesizers (from about 1990 to 2005) my synths were all digital. Prior to that I had mostly analogs, FM (that was kind of incomprehensible to me) and a hybrid (DW8000). I was mostly focused on guitar and I basically used tweaked presets. I understood that synths sounded really different, but I didn’t care that much. Synthesizers always took a supporting role to guitars. At some point I had to abandon my hardware synths for space reasons (long story) and that got me looking to software as replacements. It was an easy transition because I was basically going from VA to VA. It did sort of force me to look more closely at things and I started digging in a lot deeper and programming my own sounds a lot more. It was weird, before that, I knew my way around a synth, and had even taken a class on the subject, but I just wasn’t that interested. Presets seemed fine to me, especially if I could run them through cool effects.

At the time I as going ITB, there was (as there always is) a lot of talk about “analog vs. emulation.” The emulations I had were from GForce, and I liked them a lot. I couldn’t really imagine an actual analog sounding so much better. Demos I heard of them sort of just sounded very dry and simple to me. Then, a forum member pointed us towards a recording he made that was all analog synths. It was like someone had given me prescription glasses after years of me needing them. What didn’t seem that obvious out of any context, all of the sudden seemed very obvious. I bought an analog synth to see if it would make a big difference. It was a DSI MoPho. At first it didn’t seem to be all that much different than something like Olga, but as I started playing more with the sync, feedback and filter FM, I realized that software just didn’t sound nearly as good. I then got a Studio Electronics ATC-X (Moog clone oscillators into four different classic filter clones), and the difference was a lot more obvious. The more experience I had with the analogs, the more I realized where the software failed, and vise versa. I started building up a hardware studio again, but I never abandoned plugins either. If I have a sparse mix and I want a big lush synth string pad in it, I’m going to my Prophet 6. If I have a really busy mix where a more closed type of sound is easier to mix around, I’ll use RePro. If you side-by-side them, you may think they sound identical, but if you really pay attention you realize that there’s a lot of minor differences that add up and make each one better for certain situations.

Similar to guitars. My two main electrics are a G&L Skyhawk from the 80s and a Steinberger GM4T from the 90s. I was working on a tune the other day and I just grabbed my Steinberger because it was closer, but it wasn’t really working for the jangelly rhythm part I was using it for. I switched to the G&L and instantly the sound was right. Also importantly, the feel was right. I’m sure if my wife was asked which was better she wouldn’t know the difference either, but I don’t make music for her or anyone else, so it’s just got to work for me.
Zerocrossing Media

I was once at a band practice with my old Marshall plexi, things were off and I was getting frustrated and voicing my concerns for my amp...the rhythm guitarist said "stop blaming your gear"...just seconds later smoke came from my amp head. It turns out that whoever put the master volume in my plexi (part of why I chose that amp) did a terrible job with choosing pots. We found the problem (it wasnt hard :lol: ) and I decided to fix it by doing the cali hotrod mod (likely not a thing now, saw it in a guitar rag)...a couple years later I traded the head straight up for a Boogie SOB (100/60 watt) to the owner of a local music store. I had gone in to check out Laneys and Bedrock amps, he had the boogie by the door...he had just got it on a trade. I asked how much trade he would give me on my marshall...he said "your Marshall?" I said yes and I know as of about 2005 he was still using it...this was 1985 when I made the trade...sadly my boogie got stolen.

Tone is quite personal, even pros might not get what another hears, likes or dislikes...eventually if you work wth the same gear you will acclimate to it and you will notice more differences...aint nothing wrong with not noticing it in the early stages of learning, I mean that's what we call development, no?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Neon vst VS Falcon. Let's discuss.

then start a thread...you see in a few minutes someone will come along, report this as derailing and they wont be wrong.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:22 pm
GRUMP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am
Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm Why would anyone choose repro over diva or diva over phase plant etc.

To me they all sound like....... Synths.
There are several reasons. Gossip and marekting seem to be as important as the subjective perception.

But let´s say it like this: choices today are rather made in a horizontal dimension, so you´d chose Repro besides Dune or what ever.

Repro sounds pretty different than others btw. And you don´t have to tell gtreen fields from cold steel rails. I think you just have to like the tool and feel comfortable. And maybe have some kind of comparison or alternatives.
But, which one is pink?
I skipped PPlant and got Repro for rather "black" bad boy tasks. And to be honest: I´ve heard on patch that I´d call pink in my lifetime and I still wonder where it came from :? > https://soundcloud.com/afterlifeofc/colyn-amor-1

Dallon426 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pmOn record.... I would have no idea if a guitar was a Martin, Taylor, or a Gibson. I can tell if it was a small body or dreadnought etc. But beyond that, once it is on record it is damn hard to tell.
Synths are exactly the same. The difference is that the playing experience with a guitar is far more visceral than with a synth, so the things that make it easy to feel the difference with a guitar mostly don't apply in the world of synths.
I would think that I could program phase plant to be very similar (to Diva). So I do not understand all the fuss about synths. Even physical synths. Once we run them through the effects and processors, etc
Until recently PhasePlant was held back by it's filter, which was very generic and lacked much character, but the new Non-Linear Filter they added recently opens up a lot of new possibilities to broaden PP's sonic palette so I tend to think that now you would be right. But without the Non-Linear Filter, I think you'd have struggled to match Diva across the board.
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pmGood luck getting a Pro One to sound like a DX7 :hihi:
But he's going the other way and getting a DX7 to sound like a Pro One probably wouldn't be much of a challenge to a DX7 guru.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

YET another versus thread i see ? Just stop, please.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Why? There is plenty to learn here if you want to read through it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dallon426 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm.. Why would anyone choose repro over diva ..
This is actually a valid question :D :D :D

/s

Return to “Instruments”