XILS-lab KaoX coming soon ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:26 pm Xils Labs site says this is now available and €99 until 15th May which is a tad more afordable. Worth a demo at least I reckon
https://www.xils-lab.com/products/kaox-p-168.html#
$118 US here.... out of my price range for an FM synth.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 am €179 is too rich for my blood.
Yeah... But I'd take a punt for 99e I thinnk.

what in the world, i thought this was supposed to be a reverb. looks fantastic tbh.

pace locked!!!!!

Sort the banks by Author, then scroll down to Nori Ubakata and pick KY Grand Pluck NU and tell me what the hell that is all about. Then try KY EP PulseLead Split NL. Unplayable. Try the next one - KY EP SawLead Split NU. Same thing. What's the deal with the rubbery pitch-enveloped attack on this synth? Load the -Init Analog1Osc- patch and play some notes - you can hear it.

I am getting an error when trying to download the demo :(

andi75 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:21 pm I am getting an error when trying to download the demo :(
Is there a demo? I didn’t even see a link for one.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:42 pm Is there a demo? I didn’t even see a link for one.
yes

it should be this link:
https://www.xils-lab.com/products/kaox- ... oInstaller

p.s.:
edit:
click on the "download" link
then click on the "Demo Version Installers" link

then there should be a mac and windows demo version for download

2hrs ago the dl links did not work
now (20hcet) the mac dl worked

now testing if it needs ilok...
...at least needs restart on mac...

edit:
after restart...:
demo seems to work fine - even without ilok

dvnation wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:20 pm Sort the banks by Author, then scroll down to Nori Ubakata and pick KY Grand Pluck NU and tell me what the hell that is all about. Then try KY EP PulseLead Split NL. Unplayable. Try the next one - KY EP SawLead Split NU. Same thing. What's the deal with the rubbery pitch-enveloped attack on this synth? Load the -Init Analog1Osc- patch and play some notes - you can hear it.
You are familiar with the concept of "portamento", ain't you? It's called "glide" here, Just turn it off if you don't like it.

There's a bug though: You have to do that for the upper and the lower part, although the knob seems to be on "0"already. That might have irritated you.

Playing with the demo and it's pretty lush!

Very high CPU though, too high for my iMac Pro 10 Core.

The GUI is pretty lush. Problem is, I don't like the sound, and I find the presets singularly uninspiring. Pass!
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Garrincha wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 pm You are familiar with the concept of "portamento", ain't you? It's called "glide" here, Just turn it off if you don't like it.

There's a bug though: You have to do that for the upper and the lower part, although the knob seems to be on "0"already. That might have irritated you.
Thanks for the synth lesson. :neutral:

Try preset 'KEY Emu AJ" and take the glide all the way down. Play some fast notes/chords/trills and notice the rubbery, plasticy characteristic is still there. It's annoyingly bendy. I don't think you can completely turn this off. Glide doesn't seem to go to zero, as the minimal value is 1.00ms. I don't know about you, but this drives me nuts.

Garrincha wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 pm
dvnation wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:20 pm Sort the banks by Author, then scroll down to Nori Ubakata and pick KY Grand Pluck NU and tell me what the hell that is all about. Then try KY EP PulseLead Split NL. Unplayable. Try the next one - KY EP SawLead Split NU. Same thing. What's the deal with the rubbery pitch-enveloped attack on this synth? Load the -Init Analog1Osc- patch and play some notes - you can hear it.
You are familiar with the concept of "portamento", ain't you? It's called "glide" here, Just turn it off if you don't like it.

I don't think in Xils Lab synths, glide is ever entirely turned off, contributing to that distinctive thick attack. The analog oscillator in Kaox sounds like that to me: typical Xils, a matter of taste whether one likes it or not. Strange thing though: when playing the FM oscillator , the minimum glide time seems much longer. Playing a few legato octaves in mono mode makes it very obvious. I'm inclined to think it's a bug. I do like the FM sound of this synth, though. Rather distinctive and esp. nice when using less obvious ratios.

edit - @dvnation:
if the above seems a bit superfluous: I missed your post while I was typing. Btw, I think the minimum glide on the FM osc is rather more than 1ms.
Last edited by ELEX on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Something has to be broken. KY EP SawLead Split NU - I mean, just load it and it's a big glidey, whiny, sireny, mess. Think that's what the sound designer intended? In order to make it playable you have to take glide all the way down, then it sounds right.

That's what the sound designer intended I suspect. Glide times load OK in other presets. I entirely share your dislike of that particular preset, btw. :lol: Some of NU's other presets are quite nice, though.

Return to “Instruments”