What are all this awards this vst developers claim to have for their plugins.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
2587 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:37 am

Any company that manages to develop an AU should get an award IMO. They're wizards!
At ease, soldier!

KVRist
477 posts since 17 Nov, 2015 from Dawson Creek

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:01 pm

AnX wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 am
Markus Krause wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:12 am
AnX wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 am
Markus Krause wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 am
Computer Music is a monthly printed magazine published in the UK. It covers the topic of creating digital music on a computer.
and rarely gives any plugin less than 9/10

its a pinch of salt mag
Why should a printed magazine waste expensive paper with articles about crappy plugins?
to warn ppl?

the price of paper is irrelevant, the mag is paid for by sponsers/ads

i guess you are not familiar with CM....
i am under the impression that you are one step away from talking about an infamous DEEP BIZNEZ con, only a few familiars knowing of...
anyway its a dark path you offering here. it all leads to a dead end in trusting nobody...but you i guess...
cm is not the book of eli man. its a commercial product about spreading opinions about a WIDE range of products. no more no less.

KVRAF
5920 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Bullshite. That is what it is.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket ||
Audiomack - SoundCloud - hearthis

KVRAF
4369 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:37 am

me, and i'm the award. want one?

KVRist
194 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am

Awards-promotion is for insecure people sensitive to argumentum ad populum (and apparently too lazy or lame to try a demo). Every trick that sells is a legitimate one in the eyes of cold capitalism. If it ain't broken....
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 Karma, MC909, Microkorg, MU100R/VL70 w. BC1, Nord Lead 2, Polivoks, Prophecy, WSA-1, Mac Pro w. Reason 11 Suite + Nektar P4 + Nektar Impact LX25+.

KVRist
313 posts since 13 Dec, 2004 from USA

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:51 am

Personally I treat award logos on a page like the little flyers restaurants post in their windows around here to show they passed their health inspection with a good grade - they don't say anything about whether the food is delicious or not, but that it is at least prepared with reasonable competence. In the same way, an award (from a reasonably reputable source) to me signals that the product is at least of a quality that someone went out of their way to note that in logo form. That still doesn't mean that I'll necessarily like it or find it useful, but it is at least a small sign that someone else has looked at it and finds it worthy of endorsement. That being said, I can do the same thing by browsing KVR threads, so... people like fancy graphics, I guess?

KVRian
881 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am

Most music production publications besides SoundonSound have become single ply, themed bog roll as far as i can tell. Computer Music was always shite(besides the really good free shit on the DVD's)but its weird to see how far Future Music has spiraled into the bowl the past decade
I

Urs
u-he
25629 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 am

TIMT wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am
Most music production publications besides SoundonSound have become single ply, themed bog roll as far as i can tell. Computer Music was always shite(besides the really good free shit on the DVD's)but its weird to see how far Future Music has spiraled into the bowl the past decade
LOL, we don't get reviews on SOS because they bluntly told us subtly hinted that won't happen unless we advertise.
Last edited by Urs on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

addled muppet weed
77613 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am

it's nearly time for the annual "vurtys" awards.
anyone looking for a prize, paypal donations to you know where ;)

v1o
KVRAF
2740 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Urs wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 am
TIMT wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am
LOL, we don't get reviews on SOS because they bluntly told us subtly hinted that won't happen unless we advertise.
But they reviewed a bunch of your older stuff? Nowadays they rarely review software synths. They didn't review Dune 3, Avenger, Rapid, Spire, Phase Plant or Massive X for example. They tend to focus more on recording and mixing. When they do review synths its tends to be hardware.

Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm

I took a look at Musicradar's "Best 25 VST synth" list earlier. What a bullcrap, seriously. It has "bought" written all over it.

Anyway. It's nothing new to me. It already happens when stuff is not (blatantly) bought. Which journalist in his sane mind would harm the industry which makes his bread? That just won't happen.

The conclusion is simply that a plugin which gets a rating of 6/10 is to be avoided at all costs.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Urs
u-he

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 am

v1o wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:21 pm
But they reviewed a bunch of your older stuff? Nowadays they rarely review software synths.
Sure, they did a few back then. There was one for MFM pretty early.

That doesn't contradict our experience though. I think when they contacted us, our guy who does the ads booking actually hung up on them. Was a few years ago, can't remember when. Just left a sour taste.

It does look like they might have changed their stance since, I think we're sending a CVilization to one of their editors for a review.

Urs
u-he

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:05 am

chk071 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm
I took a look at Musicradar's "Best 25 VST synth" list earlier. What a bullcrap, seriously. It has "bought" written all over it.
Shit, have we fallen out of it? Because we sure as hell haven't paid for any of it.

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 am

I know for sure that 2 of the top 5 synths are only there because their developer (not you) urged his customers via newsletter to vote for it. Maybe not really "bought", but, surely not representative for the readers of the site. Or for anything else.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1042 posts since 20 Dec, 2010

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:37 am

If it is poll-based, it is simply a popularity contest.

At the end of the day, the best idea to is download the free trial versions and see what synths work for you and sound best to your ears. :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Return to “Instruments”