New EDM/dance song demo

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey KVR, back after a while with a fresh demo. I want to release this as my 3rd single because it has some potential. But I need your expert feedback as always to make it better. Please judge the composition itself, its different elements, and the mix quality. I would really like to know how it sounds to you.

https://soundcloud.com/srv-musicmaker/c ... Fn3Zn0nZjg
Music is the essence of life.

https://www.srvmusicmaker.com/

Parts of it were enjoyable and likeable.
I see the need for sidechaining, but sometimes it can be overcooked as in this case.
The mix was busy at times, you have this mid-bass arp very dominant and it gets very competitive when there's other elements in there. I'd personally back it off in terms of lowering its volume at certain parts.
Reminds me of photography where the photographer is told, "choose one subject and let your viewers eyes naturally go straight there." And that can apply in some cases to music too: if you introduce a new sound then let it shine and back off other sounds if needbe. Or instead of lowering the volume of an element, pan it so it gets out of the middle where the main sound might be.
My 2 cents.

Overall there are some really effective musical elements in there - particularly the melodic patterns and choice of sounds... but for me certain aspects could be improved...

Intro:

Low level rumbling synth sound tends to intrude on the overall mix for me at times... Quite wide maybe and too full of power at certain frequencies?

Vocal entries seem slightly uneven in terms of dynamic level and I might consider pulling the feedback on the delay back a touch or at least filtering it all more as it dies away?

Main Song:

Love the opening bass riff - really tight and punchy, but I really expected a less reverberant and maybe even a new lead vocal line here to contrast with the intro and drops?

It's all got great potential, but for me is (at times) way too busy and frenetic...

Maybe...

Too many strong synth sounds competing for mix space?

Too much frequency crossover between sounds... They mask each other at times?

Too much movement created by various effects and this fights against the overall groove rather than enhancing it?

Enjoyed the listen, but think it could be even better with a few tweaks?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Bansaw wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 am Parts of it were enjoyable and likeable.
I see the need for sidechaining, but sometimes it can be overcooked as in this case.
The mix was busy at times, you have this mid-bass arp very dominant and it gets very competitive when there's other elements in there. I'd personally back it off in terms of lowering its volume at certain parts.
Reminds me of photography where the photographer is told, "choose one subject and let your viewers eyes naturally go straight there." And that can apply in some cases to music too: if you introduce a new sound then let it shine and back off other sounds if needbe. Or instead of lowering the volume of an element, pan it so it gets out of the middle where the main sound might be.
My 2 cents.
Hey Bansaw, thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Sorry for getting back so late.

* Do you mean the sidechaining throughout the song or when the EDM lead comes in?

* Are you referring to the main bassline as the mid bass arp? Do you think adjusting the velocity of some notes can help? Or should I just reduce the volume to make it a bit more subdued?

* Yes, I've been known to make very busy mixes so I understand what you are saying :D I just layer several elements atop each other. I have to reduce the layering and make it simpler.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am Overall there are some really effective musical elements in there - particularly the melodic patterns and choice of sounds... but for me certain aspects could be improved...

Intro:

Low level rumbling synth sound tends to intrude on the overall mix for me at times... Quite wide maybe and too full of power at certain frequencies?

Vocal entries seem slightly uneven in terms of dynamic level and I might consider pulling the feedback on the delay back a touch or at least filtering it all more as it dies away?

Main Song:

Love the opening bass riff - really tight and punchy, but I really expected a less reverberant and maybe even a new lead vocal line here to contrast with the intro and drops?

It's all got great potential, but for me is (at times) way too busy and frenetic...

Maybe...

Too many strong synth sounds competing for mix space?

Too much frequency crossover between sounds... They mask each other at times?

Too much movement created by various effects and this fights against the overall groove rather than enhancing it?

Enjoyed the listen, but think it could be even better with a few tweaks?
Hello ChameleonMusic, thank you for the feedback really appreciate it. Sorry for getting back so late.

I wanted the intro bass pad to be very present and almost drown out the other sounds. But yes, it is too much so and I need to reduce it. I will have to work on the vocals too I will try your tip.

Glad you enjoyed the bassline. The vocals were done on a text to speech VST. I may try to use some creative FX or come up with a line or two.

Yes, the mix is busy as most of mine tend to be initially (I'm trying to drop this habit of making heavy mixes :D ) I'll have to move some patterns around, and/or adjust volumes to push certain things to the background.

I get what you are saying about making it tighter and reducing clashes. I don't wanna rush a release so I will really take my time with it :phones:

you need to listen more, chamelion. there's nothing muddy going on in the mix here...

frmbg wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:42 am you need to listen more, chamelion. there's nothing muddy going on in the mix here...
Confused... I didn't use the word 'muddy'... which has a specific meaning and focus in music production terms.

Whenever I leave any detailed feedback on KVR, I ALWAYS listen on 3 different systems so that my comments are as balanced and useful as possible.. I did that here as well.

But at the end of the day it's all just opinion...at least to some extent anyway!

You disagree with my thoughts but provide no feedback or suggestions yourself?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

srv-musikmaker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:24 am
Bansaw wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 am Parts of it were enjoyable and likeable.
My 2 cents.
Hey Bansaw, thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Sorry for getting back so late.

* Do you mean the sidechaining throughout the song or when the EDM lead comes in?

* Are you referring to the main bassline as the mid bass arp? Do you think adjusting the velocity of some notes can help? Or should I just reduce the volume to make it a bit more subdued?

* Yes, I've been known to make very busy mixes so I understand what you are saying :D I just layer several elements atop each other. I have to reduce the layering and make it simpler.
There's a lot of sidechaining. Lots of producers use it, even Max Martin, but it can be overdone and be over-obvious.
The bass arp, yes,... lowering the velocity or lowering the volume will have a similar effect, i.e. you're making it less competitive against the other sounds you want to shine through.
With layering, sound selection is important,... maybe even putting that layered sound an octave up or down, or using a plugin to unmask competing frequencies. I use Neutron3 for that.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:07 am
srv-musikmaker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:24 am
My 2 cents.

There's a lot of sidechaining. Lots of producers use it, even Max Martin, but it can be overdone and be over-obvious.
The bass arp, yes,... lowering the velocity or lowering the volume will have a similar effect, i.e. you're making it less competitive against the other sounds you want to shine through.
With layering, sound selection is important,... maybe even putting that layered sound an octave up or down, or using a plugin to unmask competing frequencies. I use Neutron3 for that.
Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it. Will go back into working on this song soon again :tu:

Hey admin, am I allowed to post Google Drive links here?

Return to “Music Cafe”