XILS-lab KaoX coming soon ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The real problem is demonstrated by 'SP Africalimba( kalimba-brass) NU' - which HAS the glide time set to minimum and should produce clean bells but instead they are all slightly whiny.

Not tried the demo yet, but all the glide reports sound like a bug.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

"LD Thales AJ" - there's no way that was intended to sound like that. Take glide all the way to 1.00ms and it sounds great. Still wish there was a way to disable glide altogether because even at its minimal value, it's still there and very annoying. If this is just a Xils thing, then I'll pass.

Utube ? no?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I feel like this one could've used a little bit more testing? Running into some weird bugs too..

dvnation wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:56 am "LD Thales AJ" - there's no way that was intended to sound like that. Take glide all the way to 1.00ms and it sounds great. Still wish there was a way to disable glide altogether because even at its minimal value, it's still there and very annoying. If this is just a Xils thing, then I'll pass.
You mentioned that KY Grand Pluck NU preset. That is purely FM and shouldn't have that behaviour. The analog OSCs of XILS seem to have a very short pitch variation, but not FM.

In my opionion that preset exhibits a bug:

The "Glide" parameter should be global - at least it is in the global section of the GUI - but it works local for each of the two layers. So when I load that preset and turn glide off it does that only for the upper layer. When I then activate the lower layer (switch off the "double" mode to make it obvious) the "Glide" is still active although it shouldn't. On top of that the Glide button doesn't reflect the actual setting. So I had to turn it up and back down again to really turn off Glide.

That is certainly not the intended behaviour, so that must be a bug.

SiliconDeath wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54 am I feel like this one could've used a little bit more testing? Running into some weird bugs too..
Yep, there are some weird things going on for sure.

When playing with sustain pedal (CC64) it doesn't retrigger notes that have been played before. To be precise: It doesn't retrigger the envelopes if a note was already played before while the hold pedaly was pressed. This is an intended behaviour for an analog mono-synth. But it is completely bullshit for a polyphonice FM-synth. Even an analog Polysynth like a Prophet 5 doesn't do this, it would just use a new voice.

The voice allocation also seems to be flawed somehow. There are 5 modes but they all seem to do the same thing. It's also not mentioned in the manual which let me believe those modes were an afterthought and probably not implemented properly.

FWIW, here's the voice allocation description from the Xils Oxium manual. I guess these are the same as in Kaox, even though the naming differs slightly.

POLY circular 1: polyphonic, voices are selected one after each other
POLY circular 2: polyphonic, voices are selected one after each other but trying to keep a non circular cycle;
POLY reset: polyphonic mode, voices are selected from the voice number 1.
POLY reassign: polyphonic mode, each voices are selected trying to keep a previous note (useful in some case, for the portamento effect).
POLY random: polyphonic mode, each voices are selected randomly.

A quick test with glide on suggests to me they are working as intended.

ELEX wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm A quick test with glide on suggests to me they are working as intended.
But shouldn't it trigger a new voice when the hold pedal is engaged regardless of the note you hold? It doesn't do this. It only retriggers the OSC but not the envelopes (=not a whole voice). I was under the impression that those voice allocation modes change that behavior, but they don't.

Has anyone reported these findings to Xavier?
A well-behaved signature.

^^^ bad timing, but you didn't know.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:28 pm ^^^ bad timing, but you didn't know.
If you're referring to Lotuzia, his name was Laurent.

Xavier is the coder/developer.

JerGoertz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:28 pm ^^^ bad timing, but you didn't know.
If you're referring to Lotuzia, his name was Laurent.

Xavier is the coder/developer.
oh, well i'm the idiot then. i just didn't want a bad scene to start. thanks.

Garrincha wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 pm
ELEX wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm A quick test with glide on suggests to me they are working as intended.
But shouldn't it trigger a new voice when the hold pedal is engaged regardless of the note you hold? It doesn't do this. It only retriggers the OSC but not the envelopes (=not a whole voice). I was under the impression that those voice allocation modes change that behavior, but they don't.
Didn't test that. Only the basic functioning of ( and differences between) the allocation modes. But should a sustain pedal (re) trigger anything at all, upon depressing ? Never thought it should, tbh. Doesn't happen in any synth I have. These allocation modes have certainly nothing to do with the pedal function. They just determine the voice to which a new note is allocated.
JerGoertz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 pm Has anyone reported these findings to Xavier?
Not yet, but will certainly do so very soon.

Been playing with this a bit, sounds very nice to me. I just e-mailed Xavier a link to this thread, hopefully any issues will be taken care of shortly.

Return to “Instruments”