23%
They are too different to properly compare
18%
I prefer another wavetable option
16%

Total votes: 287

RELATED
PRODUCTS

twal wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 pm Vital can't be on windows 7 so I had to pass it up recently because it looked interesting.
Vital does work on Win7.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 am
twal wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 pm Vital can't be on windows 7 so I had to pass it up recently because it looked interesting.
Vital does work on Win7.
I *think the issue is that for some people it doesn't run efficiently on Windows 7 and since it's not officially supported, there's slim to no chance of those people getting a fix so that it performs better.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 am
Vital does work on Win7.
I *think the issue is that for some people it doesn't run efficiently on Windows 7 and since it's not officially supported, there's slim to no chance of those people getting a fix so that it performs better.
Ah, I see. I don't seem to have any iussues myself but maybe I'm yet to encounter them (though if these issues are CPU-related chances are I don't notice them because I routinely freeze most synths parts)

recursive one wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:48 am
Vital does work on Win7.
Ah, I see. I don't seem to have any iussues myself but maybe I'm yet to encounter them (though if these issues are CPU-related chances are I don't notice them because I routinely freeze most synths parts)
It seems to vary wildy between users, but hasn't been a problem for me either. My PC is pretty powerful to begin with and like you, I tend to bounce stuff to audio early on.
Always Read the Manual!

I have the same question. I was looking to buy Hive but i already have Serum and Vital (subscription).

Artie Fichelle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 pm I have all of them. All powerfull. But the one I like most is Pigments by Arturia. It is so intuitive and easy to make unique sounds. Maybe I should upload a few sounds or share some presets.

Basically I do not buy a tone generator, if I cannot use microtuning. This world is frequencies and tunings. I am not saying 432 Hz for everything, but everything in its own tuning universe.

If DX7 from Arturia had microtuning it would be the best FM in my opinion.But as it is, unusable.

Does GUI matter? Yes, because it can help you to get things done or it can turn you off.
Good to know Vital can actually be used with Windows 7, I wonder if Pigments is the same case?

I think Vital is awesome, beautiful sound and capabilities. I believe that Hive is great. But if you spend time on Vital might as well, it's free essentially and top of the line 4 sure
Wannae wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm I have the same question. I was looking to buy Hive but i already have Serum and Vital (subscription).

Wannae wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm I have the same question. I was looking to buy Hive but i already have Serum and Vital (subscription).
Try the demo and see. I think Hive has its own unique set of tools and sound. The new filters in 2.1 are an excellent tool for various sorts of sounds. Then there are the Uhm scripts and Hive's interpolation types. Etc.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 am
Try the demo and see. I think Hive has its own unique set of tools and sound. The new filters in 2.1 are an excellent tool for various sorts of sounds. Then there are the Uhm scripts and Hive's interpolation types. Etc.
+1 try the demo. There's no time limit just light crackling every 60s or so and you can save and load patches too. You can really put it through its paces, go beyond the honeymoon period and really decide if it's for you or not. This is how u-he suck you in!
Always Read the Manual!

Hive seems to have the usual "U-He magic" inside in its sound (I don't exactly know the technical details, but seems to be some little pitch instability and so), also I like the algorithmal wavetable stuff, the excellent presets, the professional user base, the filter sound, the engines, the fx. I prefer Vital when it comes to overview and UX, the graphical representation of the filters is just awesome, the modulation is even more simple UX wise than Hive. Vital also provides way more filter types. Hive has a more traditional VST GUI, while Vital completely spares any skeuomorphism, which I personally totally prefer. The Hive GUI looks to me like pixel art, yet I don't need it. Hence Hive had various graphical design decision in its base concept, even the name says it. I actually miss a filter slots no. 4+5 or even 4-7 in Vital, that would make it even more awesome, since you consume filter slots already with the unusual algorithms, and then would like to have filters per OSC, too. This is something I totally miss in Hive, at least doubled filter slots. I know that the U-He team will not agree here, and this is ok for me :)

I don't like in both synths that the fx slots simply are a serial sum on the mixdown (e.g. VPS Avenger is way more useful here, providing send fx slots, insert slots 1-4 and a master slot). I also would expect a separate fx plugin for any of such synth which provides post-fx. Would prefer much more sophisticated routings on single OSC+filter outputs, maybe even pre-filter (I know that is barely possible due filters being per voice). Also nobody agrees with me here. So I don't like the lack of pre-filter distortion in Vital, Hive has various workarounds here, like the engines, the input level of the filters and so... My personal favorite routing would be like:
OSC1 -> optional filter -> optional mix with any other OSC in sum/sync/ring/fm/ring+sync -> pre-filter distortion like soft-clipping, clipping, folder etc -> filter -> post-filter distortion (same options) -> final fx filter

Vital OSCs sound way more "aliasfree" (though I think it does not even have anything to do with aliasing), they sound very slick, even a sawwave, while Hive easily seems to have more "texture". Might be due heavy oversampling in Vital or so.

You might like Diversion, which has multiple stages of filtering and distortion.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 amway more filter types
In recent years, many Hive comparison threads were about a certain other synth. In each thread it was pointed out that this other synth had "30 different filter types". Funnily, Hive now has 30 different filter types, coincidentally: 10 different filter responses in 3 different flavours with indeed rather different implementations. I wonder if there's ever going to be a number that just settles it for good :clown:

That said, I am brooding over a way to allow for more flexible routing of audio signals. One day I'll sit down and try it, and if it really adds great value, we'll put this in.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 amMy personal favorite routing would be like:
OSC1 -> optional filter -> optional mix with any other OSC in sum/sync/ring/fm/ring+sync -> pre-filter distortion like soft-clipping, clipping, folder etc -> filter -> post-filter distortion (same options) -> final fx filter
You need to get inside Reaktor. :D

PieBerger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 am
recursive one wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:48 am
Vital does work on Win7.
It seems to vary wildy between users, but hasn't been a problem for me either. My PC is pretty powerful to begin with and like you, I tend to bounce stuff to audio early on.
Vital works without hiccups on my 10 years old Windows 7 machine (I have at some point upgraded to a SSD though which improved general performance of my computer drastically). I only have a few minor GUI bugs, like the low shelf node of the EQ in the effects slot not showing (funny enough the bell node and the high shelf node is visible).

Urs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 am
In recent years, many Hive comparison threads were about a certain other synth. In each thread it was pointed out that this other synth had "30 different filter types".
I wasn't aware that Sylenth1 has so many filter types. :o

But, I guess you mean another synth.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 am
Urs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 am
In recent years, many Hive comparison threads were about a certain other synth. In each thread it was pointed out that this other synth had "30 different filter types".
I wasn't aware that Sylenth1 has so many filter types. :o

But, I guess you mean another synth.
It was Dune3 i think

Return to “Instruments”