How to make this Dr.Dre sound?

How to make that sound...
KVRer
5 posts since 23 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm

It’s the arpeggiated piano (?) sound that is constant throughout most of the beat. It’s high in frequency, with maybe some volume automation to it?

Please help me in figuring this out :)

https://youtu.be/DEN0u5WASAI

Suspended
266 posts since 4 Dec, 2019

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Not conclusive yet if it's a piano sound or some kind of a synth sound. This is what still needs to be figured out.
Here's a good starting point for anyone who would like to join in and try to help with this.
The midi notes on my take seem to go down the octaves until they reach a6 as a turning point, then they wander up the scales again.
The notes may be a#-a-d downwards until they reach a repeated note of an a6 with a short pause, then they go up again to a6#-d7-a7-a7# and so on. I'm not sure yet how high they actually reach but they might reach a9#.
The midi notes are the first thing we need to find out and in this case (due to high frequencies, fast notes) this proved already quite challenging. But there we might have a better starting point now.
Last edited by juno987654321 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Let's give those modern slaveholders the bum's rush!

Suspended

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 pm

[deleted]. (Hypotheses withdrawn again after some experimenting...) :roll:

If it is a synth sound or if it can be emulated as such it may consist of 3 layers of sound.
One of them can be seen as a type of bell sound. This one may be emulated with a sine wave and a plucky volume envelope, possibly with a slight amount of FM at its onset (not yet conclusive!), LP filter with keytracking (got the cutoff at around 216HZ), HP filter on top of it, compressor to boost only the high end at 165% seems to work fine... This already brings me to the ballpark of the accompanying bell sound that may be part of the sound as a whole.
The other 2 layers would then be:
- a darker sound that emulates a kind of hammering like that of a piano
- a higher pitched sound that also seems to be part of the sound and which may just be a copy of the bell sound, transposed to some octaves higher again

If it is a sound based on a piano preset there is no typical release time as with most piano sounds. It seems possible that it might be an edited version of a piano sound, too.

Possibility no. 3 would be an edited version of a piano sound + a bell sound as described above.
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Let's give those modern slaveholders the bum's rush!

KVRer

Topic Starter

5 posts since 23 Oct, 2019

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

At 0.42 you see this guy playing it on a piano, however it doesn’t sound the same. The «rolling» effect is missing. Any idea how you can create it?

https://youtu.be/NU_T1JbCyFo

Suspended

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 pm

He is playing only a tiny proportion of the midi notes by using a midi controller that would not even easily allow for playing the whole range of notes. He is playing the part which is most audible to everybody's ears: d7-a6#-a6 and back again, 6 notes altogether.
He also may be using a piano preset from some plugin vst which, as can be assumed, is a simplification of the real sound. There is more to the sound than that.
However, for practical reasons people often use simplifications. His aim is simply to perform a bit and find some practical and quick means to that end, rather than devote himself to the art of sound design which can be a fatiguing and long process without any guarantee of any (quick) results.

I am not sure what you mean by the rolling effect. You'd have to explicate this further.

KVRian
1057 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Try different samples but yeah... this is it

https://vimeo.com/536563385
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Return to “Sound Design”