23%
They are too different to properly compare
18%
I prefer another wavetable option
16%

Total votes: 287

RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 amI guess you mean another synth.
By "recent years" I mean, say, 2019 till today, not, say, 2013-15, when Hive and its concept initially went public.

Alright. :) Might be Serum then?

Edit: Just saw that Dune was suggested.

Serum was probably meant.

It doesn't matter which one was meant. The principle stays the same.

Urs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 am
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 amway more filter types
In recent years, many Hive comparison threads were about a certain other synth. In each thread it was pointed out that this other synth had "30 different filter types". Funnily, Hive now has 30 different filter types, coincidentally: 10 different filter responses in 3 different flavours with indeed rather different implementations. I wonder if there's ever going to be a number that just settles it for good :clown:
20 of those 30 (in the other synth) are lowpass filters. That 20 could be reduced to 10 without limiting sound design possibilities at all. Even 6 would do it using drive to blend between clean and character-full. Greater numbers doesn't necessarily mean greater sonic possibility.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am Serum was probably meant.
Serum has almost 100 filter types... 30+ of them are various flavors of comb filter which all together aren't as useful as the single comb filter in Massive X (or the new Hive Comb and Dissonant filters).

This thread is a perfect example of how the real answer to "This vs That" threads most often ends up being "This and That".

Hive and Vital are sufficiently different in character that owning both makes perfect sense.

In fact owning "the other synth", Hive and Vital makes perfect sense as well since they all have their own character.

But I get it "This vs That" discussions give KVR its raison d'être. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

MissOptimyst wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 pm However my vote goes to Hive 2. U-He is amazing.
I wonder why everybody loves Hive...

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:20 pm
MissOptimyst wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 pm However my vote goes to Hive 2. U-He is amazing.
No need to wonder, try it for yourself.

Necro thread bump! :-)

I am fairly new to Hive 2. I only picked it up this past sale and still need to spend some more time with it. But so far, I can firmly say, it sounds very different than other products I own.. and I use quite a few including similar products from Arturia, NI, Xfer.. you name it. Things I do like about it so far is the extensive features offered within the product including managing presets, manipulating sounds, and the navigation ability of how one gets to certain settings to change settings. Hope that helps. Best to try the demo.
all the best

Cause it is all around excellent, capable and fast to work with.

both.

seangm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:00 pm
No need to wonder, try it for yourself.
I own it and I wonder. It just doesn't sound as good as other synths in it's price bracket and its workflow stinks. Weirdly, I didn't mind it at v1.2 but, for whatever reason, I never gelled with v2 and I pretty much stopped using it after upgrading. For a while I uninstalled it and reinstalled v1.2 but it was too late by then, I'd well and truly moved on.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

These either or threads are always a bit worthless, unless you want to know what other people like. I choose a synth that has MPE, because I’m into that, but I’m a small segment of the market, and most likely the OP doesn’t care about that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It seems there are 100 KVR Hive threads, so the expectations are big. Hive obviously is very popular. I demoed it a few times to find out whether I have missed or overlooked something, I just don't like the sound, it's just not for me.
However Diva makes the whole Arturia V collection, that I don't really like, obsolete for me, that's why I sold it. Diva is a preset machine for me, though, it does not inspire me to create my own sounds.

There are so many synths, so one better picks the best or the ones someone likes best, every synth has a learning curve, so better not to lose track.

I am surprised that quite often softsynths that are overhyped disappoint me, maybe too big expectations! There's nothing I like about Pigments and I am pretty sure I would not like Omnisphere a lot, some videos show there seem to be quite a lot of mediocre sounds, it's kinda old fashioned, too many presets, do not like the gui and the worst thing there's no demo, but a high price without knowing if you would like features and workflow, cpu usage, how stable on your system etc. it seems to be like Xpand2! with some more features, but a little worse sound quality.
Neither Vital nor Hive2 are synths I want to use. There are some quite good wavetable synths, though, some are not limited to wavetable only. If I had to choose a pure wavetable synth, maybe Icarus 2, but don't have it, well, the gui... many a man would not admit that a good gui is important and that's a matter of workflow and taste.
My personal gui rating out of 10 = best
Hive2=7, Vital=6, Icarus 2=4.

Return to “Instruments”