"Stereo-Limiting"?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,
is there such a thing as "stereo-limiting"? If yes, how do I do it?

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

I have a two pads placed to -40/+40. I want to keep most of their stereo spreads, but tell them to not cross the line of -25/+25. I'm working with iZotope's Ozone 9 Imager 2, which allows me to narrow the signals' spreads until their mono, but not (so to say) cut only the spread towards the center.

Can anyone help me with this?

You want "mid-side" processing, where stereo channels are added/subtracted to form sum ("mid") and difference ("side") channels that can be processed separatedly and then recombined.

There isn't any need for a brickwall limiter here, a compressor in mid-side configuration with a high ratio should do the job. Some options include Molot GE or Kotelnikov (in "diff" mode), T-Racks Black 76 (actually most T-Racks comps can do this), or otherwise your favourite compressor with in combination with free mid-side encode/decode plugins (Voxengo MSED or airwindows EdIsDim - or maybe your DAW already has something.)

Thanks imrae, that's exactly what I needed.
All the best to you!

What's your host? Also the free MUtility from Melda allows for the kind of panning you want if I understood your post. You want each sound to occupy +40 to -25 and vice versa right? If so you need to treat them as dual mono. Cubase has this fader type built in and many vst utilities allow for each channel to be panned independent all the way from the original input to everything in the middle to reversed stereo.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I'm working in Logic

Is there a channel utility plugin built in? You want something that can treat each channel of your stereo signal as it's own thing and pan it as you like. As I said MUtility in the Melda free bundle will do this. I would out money on logic having this functionality built in but it's been a long time since I used logic on my pc so I can't say. Other terms for this Are dual mono panning or stereo width planner. Most standard stereo planners when they are working on a stereo signal just turn down one side as you pan away from it. You want to ba able to pan either side fully to either extreme without effecting the other channel.

Gogahendrix wrote:
I’m working in Logic
You have 3 types of panners available in Logic.

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpr ... 21a438/mac
On a number of Macs

To do what you want you would select the "stereo pan" option.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:53 am Gogahendrix wrote:
I’m working in Logic
You have 3 types of panners available in Logic.

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpr ... 21a438/mac (https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/set-channel-strip-pan-or-balance-positions-lgcpbc21a438/mac)
That stereo pan is exactly what I'm looking for. Kinda embarrassing that I never realized that I can change the pan nob :hihi:
Thank you guys!

Return to “Production Techniques”