How can I achieve a Talkbox & Compuvox sound?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

Does anyone knows how to recreate the following effects?

- Talkbox
- Compuvox
- Text 2 Speech

I want to understand deeply how they are made technically in order to achieve there character rather than using a VST Plugins.
What are the nature & features behind them?

1- From my basic knowledge the Talkbox has
one standard tone unlike the vocoder which
has multiple colors & character known as
robotic character.
& TB is based on Amp & air pressure but
can I simulate this?
2- The Compuvox Is not clear to me what I’m
noticing that it’s a micro partials that creates
glitchy effect as time goes by (not freezing) &
the vocal or audio gets quantized depending
on the resolution like the bit amount or sample
rate adding a bit crusher variation with it.
But I still can’t understand it till now.

3- I want also to recreate the Text 2 Speech
behavior manually (the vocal imperfections)
instead of using a software.

Any help?
Last edited by horizon7 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Please edit your subject line so that it reflects that this is a question about how to achieve something, not information on how to achieve that thing.

As in "Is there a technique...."
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 pm Please edit your subject line so that it reflects that this is a question about how to achieve something, not information on how to achieve that thing.

As in "Is there a technique...."
I modified it? Does it make sense now?

Any answer please?

horizon7 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm

I want to understand deeply how they are made technically in order to achieve there character rather than using a VST Plugins.
what are you going to use?

AnX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 pm
horizon7 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm

what are you going to use?
I’m using glitch 2 for making partials of the vocal but it doesn’t sound the same as compuvox.

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 pm why not use this cool thing?
https://blog.wavosaur.com/text-to-speech-vst-vst-speek/
Thanks I download it & i like it but I want to
Use the same technique but using my voice instead
of a character programmed template.

I know a vst called bitspeek from sonic charge which can do that. But is it possible to make it manually by editing without vst? I mean for example I’m using Bitwig Studio & try ti use the arp at hi rate in order to quantize my voice but this not gonna do the same thing it will make my voice as the chopped character only.

But how about the bit crusher were should I replace it to simulate the bit degradation & how can I blend it with my glitched quantized voice.
does it usually placed after the sampler or at the end of the chain? As this effect has stages in order to get the sound correctly.

Any ideas?

horizon7 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:09 am

I know a vst called bitspeek from sonic charge which can do that. But is it possible to make it manually by editing without vst? I mean for example I’m using Bitwig Studio & try ti use the arp at hi rate in order to quantize my voice but this not gonna do the same thing it will make my voice as the chopped character only.

But how about the bit crusher were should I replace it to simulate the bit degradation & how can I blend it with my glitched quantized voice.
does it usually placed after the sampler or at the end of the chain? As this effect has stages in order to get the sound correctly.

Any ideas?
I'm sorry but i have not tried Bitspeek before so i can't help you i'm afraid. I'm sure there are plugins that can do exactly what you want if you do a bit of research. Others here might chime in and help you.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

A Talk Box is a guitar effect box that has a tiny speaker in it and a long tube that you put in your mouth.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Any ideas?
So you're basically asking if you can reproduce very specific audio processing effects without using plugins which do those very specific audio processing effects?

And you're asking, without any clarification or further explanation about:

CompuVox : which I can only find reference to as an algorithm in a specific VST
Text To Speech : which, sans any further detail, covers an entire universe of entirely synthetic text to speech software from about 1950 onwards
Talkbox : an entirely physical device for a guitar. Or perhaps an algorithm in the same specific VST as CompuVox, you havent exactly clarified.

Is that right?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am So you're basically asking if you can reproduce very specific audio processing effects without using plugins which do those very specific audio processing effects?
Yes, that's how I understood him too... :o :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am

Any ideas?
So you're basically asking if you can reproduce very specific audio processing effects without using plugins which do those very specific audio processing effects?

And you're asking, without any clarification or further explanation about:

CompuVox : which I can only find reference to as an algorithm in a specific VST
Text To Speech : which, sans any further detail, covers an entire universe of entirely synthetic text to speech software from about 1950 onwards
Talkbox : an entirely physical device for a guitar. Or perhaps an algorithm in the same specific VST as CompuVox, you havent exactly clarified.

Is that right?
Well I already explained this above clearly, other gentlemen are willing to answer my question properly because they understand well. So please Leave a room for others to answer me. You don’t have to do so.
Last edited by horizon7 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am So you're basically asking if you can reproduce very specific audio processing effects without using plugins which do those very specific audio processing effects?
Yes, that's how I understood him too... :o :lol:
Well There are so many respected producers able to answer properly instead of laughing all the time just like you, try to be polite.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 am

Any ideas?
I'm sorry but i have not tried Bitspeek before so i can't help you i'm afraid. I'm sure there are plugins that can do exactly what you want if you do a bit of research. Others here might chime in and help you.
Yes you’re right, I think this might need also a deeper knowledge on how they work. In order to reproduce it manually i could chop my vocal into micro samples like stutter edit technique & this takes lots of time.
The reason that I want to make it manually is to use my vocal & control it in addition to my own features.
So perhaps this needs a software developing in order to achieve all the details & complex features.
Talkbox might sound close to a harmonizer but this still needs deep research in conjunction with the amp & tube simulation were I can add an amp VST that has coloring feature for example.

Anyway Thanks Halonmusic for your kind answer appreciate.

Return to “Effects”