U-he repro vs phase plant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:52 pm So all synths are hardware synths they just have a different form factor. I get the snobbery towards traditional hardware and again that's fine but as someone who has owned and played many hardware synths I can say with confidence you'll have to come up with a better argument than "tactile response or connection" if you want to claim working with traditional hardware synths is advantageous.
What makes you think it's snobbery? Software has ended up costing me more than my hardware collection with all the initial small costs adding up and temptation to 'update' periodicity. Now a days hardware can be cheaper than software! Omnisphere + Keyscape cost about the same as my Hydrasynth, but its pointless arguing about what has more convenience, power, expressiveness and productiveness (that would be my acoustic guitar!) its about how it makes me feel when using it and if it makes you 'happy'...it's not tangible, its just preference.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm What makes you think it's snobbery?
Have you actually read any posts at KVR ? :lol:
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pmits about how it makes me feel when using it and if it makes you 'happy'...it's not tangible, its just preference.
Correct. There is no right or wrong only personal preference. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm You think that cause one of your main objectives is to win arguments.
No I'm simply bored and waiting for my laundry to finish so I responded to your post. I responded to zerocrossing's post to point out that what he wrote is technically incorrect. You can in fact control cutoff and resonance at the same time with a mouse.
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pmI'm discussing what I like about hardware interfaces.
And I'm discussing why I prefer In The Box hardware interfaces. We're both expressing an opinion. There is nothing to "win".
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pmWe all have different interests and priorities.
Exactly. So you like one thing and I like the other. What have we actually accomplished other than sharing our opinions which should mean nothing to anyone else ?

Anyway my laundry is done so it's time to go in the studio and make music. Feel free to carry on the discussion. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm What makes you think it's snobbery?
Have you actually read any posts at KVR ? :lol:
That was pre-Behringer hardware synths, now the software users feel superior :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

i don't have either but im high enough to weigh in with an opinion!

U-he repro vs phase plant, unless I am mistaken both are software, so this needn't be software vs hardware...it's not like in the end there will be a teddy bear picnic :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:59 pm U-he repro vs phase plant, unless I am mistaken both are software, so this needn't be software vs hardware...it's not like in the end there will be a teddy bear picnic :shrug:
Says you. I’m preparing my bubble solution as we speak.

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:59 pm U-he repro vs phase plant, unless I am mistaken both are software, so this needn't be software vs hardware...it's not like in the end there will be a teddy bear picnic :shrug:
To be fair, the thread hasn’t been about repro vs PP since the OP put in his opening post that ‘all synths sound the same’....

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:56 pm i don't have either but im high enough to weigh in with an opinion!
^This is the KVR that we all know and love!

E_Anderson wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:37 pm
Says you. I’m preparing my bubble solution as we speak.
i dont think blowing bubbles will save you when the bears attack.
but then im no bear expert.
seals, ill wrestle them :box:
cheeky buggers, jumping on boats :x

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:56 pm i don't have either but im high enough to weigh in with an opinion!
we can kiss, but not on the mouth :x

apparently now, ill get reported :hihi:
sorry hink :lol:

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 pm
Let me break it off with Urs first, I want to let him down slow.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 pm
Let me break it off with Urs first, I want to let him down slow.
ive seen him in his underwear :P

:lol:
true story!
had to get up stupid early for my flight, he got up to say goodbye 8)
total dude!

E_Anderson wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 amAnd the fact I can't almost plug and play. But for my own preferences it's plenty plug-and-play enough.
The reality is that a software set-up is way more plug 'n' play than hardware. The reality of a hardware set-up is that you have to take off all your dust covers and then switch everything on, one box at a time. Switching on your computer and starting an application feels way slicker in my experience - I can be ready to work in 20-30 seconds, where booting up my hardware always took more than a minute and reaching around the back of everything, feeling for the power switches, was a lot more fiddly.
Unless civilization collapses or technology moves forward, I probably will sit in front of a computer until I die. With some breaks.
The great thing about it is that when you want it to, it can get almost completely out of the way. On stage, the only interaction I have to make with my PC is to load the next song. Beyond that it just sits there and does it's thing in the background while we do our thing in front of the audience.
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:31 amIf you think sitting down in front of a computer for 16 hours a day is healthy then :tu:
I wish I had 8 hours a day to spend doing music! But it's not about what I think, meta-studies have shown that as long as you get the requisite amount of daily exercise, sitting has no adverse effects on your health.
If I had to choose between my hardware and software the software would be gone tomorrow.
I'd be exactly the opposite. I really only keep hardware around out of habit, because it's been part of my life now for 40 years. If push came to shove it would be gone in a heartbeat. We've put out 5 albums this Century and only one track on one song has featured a hardware synth (Korg microX) and that was really only because I wrote the song on it and it was easier to go with it instead of trying to find something else to do that job.
Headphones :phones: One switch.
That's assuming you already have them plugged into that one, particular instrument. Unless you have one pair of headphones for each piece of hardware, including your computer's I/O device?

I also noticed last night that Hydrasynth is about as hands-on as Ultranova or MicroMonsta or Uno Synth. It is a million miles away from one knob per function and I reckon you'd be more likely to need your reading glasses for that cheap looking display than for your computer monitor. I can't see that it offers any better experience than a decent MIDI controller, like a KeyStep, and an integrated controller like an NI Maschine would likely offer a much better experience.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”