U-he repro vs phase plant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pmYou cannot in the moment, spontaneously reach for any two parameters and adjust them in relation to each other... which makes it a different creative experience.
I only have two hands so I can't do that under any circumstances, given that I'd need one hand to play the notes. And if the sequencer is playing the notes, then I am not going to "be in the moment" in the first place, so your point is moot. You're grasping at straws, narrowing your definitions further and further, without realising that what it does is to make the case for hardware harder and harder. So while you might see a reason to spend 5 or 6 grand just so you can do one or two very specific things, under very specific circumstances, anyone else reading this is going to think you're crazy. OTOH, if you could admit that you just prefer hardware and acknowledge that it is not a rational choice, any reasonable person would think that is perfectly OK.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

In terms of word count (if not number of posts) I think you guys have long since spilled more ink in this thread on the hard/soft rivalry than on the nascent Repro/Phase Plant rivalry. They are both softsynths, aren’t they?
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 am In terms of word count (if not number of posts) I think you guys have long since spilled more ink in this thread on the hard/soft rivalry than on the nascent Repro/Phase Plant rivalry. They are both softsynths, aren’t they?
KVR is known for it's spillage with respect to the hard/soft rivalry. Nothing new there.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 am In terms of word count (if not number of posts) I think you guys have long since spilled more ink in this thread on the hard/soft rivalry than on the nascent Repro/Phase Plant rivalry. They are both softsynths, aren’t they?
The OP question was never about which is better, he said as all synths sound the same why pick one over another...

I think most KVRers would agree there is no Repro/Phase Plant rivalry as they are too different to compare in any sensible way, so the conversation ‘extended’ logically to both the sound and the user experience of different synths (hard and soft) to explain why they are not all the same...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:45 am I think most KVRers would agree there is no Repro/Phase Plant rivalry as they are too different to compare
I do. And as as the Repro goes, I have rejected several emus, including DIVA, over the years because they could not give me the analogish basses I want. Had to use hardware for that. Repro 1 is the first emulation, I have ever encountered that brings me 95% close to what I want instead of 50%-70% (figurative estimate ofc.). I have always defended myself against hype by demoing endlessly, and this time, after a decade, Urs had a clean strike on me, so I will add to the crowd that hold this as a special VSTi that do not sound just like any brandy and half-hearted emulation (Urs stroke me with ACE too, though, but that I consider its own and mainly hybrid/digitalish the good way). Repro is great. If you can't hear it, your loss, but to each, his own. :party:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 am I wish I had 8 hours a day to spend doing music! But it's not about what I think, meta-studies have shown that as long as you get the requisite amount of daily exercise, sitting has no adverse effects on your health.
I am not so sure it wont affect your mental health spending all of your time in front of a computer, but I recognise that seems to be the way the world is spinning.... Personally I like working with other people,. particularly with music (I was always in bands, that what got me in to music) so having hardware just facilitates that. I also have a desk with software and controllers, like different 'bases'.
BONES wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 am That's assuming you already have them plugged into that one, particular instrument. Unless you have one pair of headphones for each piece of hardware, including your computer's I/O device?
I have about a dozen cans, 6 hanging of my X32 for monitor mixes....last band I had in recording was a 5 piece and I can just about manage that in my 2 rooms (as my drum kit is V TD27)
BONES wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 am I also noticed last night that Hydrasynth is about as hands-on as Ultranova or MicroMonsta or Uno Synth. It is a million miles away from one knob per function and I reckon you'd be more likely to need your reading glasses for that cheap looking display than for your computer monitor. I can't see that it offers any better experience than a decent MIDI controller, like a KeyStep, and an integrated controller like an NI Maschine would likely offer a much better experience.
I am assuming you have never actually used one? It's the best designed UX and the best synth I have ever played. Not the thread for singing the praises of the Hydrasynth, but if you ever get the chance, try one for 30 minutes. The keybed is great (the polyphonic AT is a dream) and the ribbon is also surprisingly useful! The OLED screens, high-resolution encoders with LED rings and architecture based 'module select' buttons make programming very easy (and manual free!).

I only mention tis synth in context to the thread as evidence that 'all synths are not the same' based on the polyphonic AT/Ribbon and UX, the same argument can of course be made for software and a controller (I use a Nektar P6 and have no complaint's)...I don't think anyone other than the OP is saying everything is the same, and the differences exits as we all have personal preferences in both sound and workflow. Although I will agree we probably don't need another 2 Osc subtractive VA based on XXXXX from the past, personally I am done with that, but I enjoyed the journey and learned alot about the history of synths!

To be on topic with the 'title' of the thread (not the actual question). I own both but prefer Phase Plant, I appreciate how good Repro sounds, but have less interest in its adherence to the original hardware's architecture.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

While phaseplant is designed with a focus on sound design flexibility, whereas U-he repro is focused on replicating the EXACT hardware behavior of the original Pro-One and the Prophet 5.

They have different possibilities and different purposes. Use whichever one you like the most though.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pmYou cannot in the moment, spontaneously reach for any two parameters and adjust them in relation to each other... which makes it a different creative experience.
I only have two hands so I can't do that under any circumstances, given that I'd need one hand to play the notes. And if the sequencer is playing the notes, then I am not going to "be in the moment" in the first place, so your point is moot. You're grasping at straws, narrowing your definitions further and further, without realising that what it does is to make the case for hardware harder and harder. So while you might see a reason to spend 5 or 6 grand just so you can do one or two very specific things, under very specific circumstances, anyone else reading this is going to think you're crazy. OTOH, if you could admit that you just prefer hardware and acknowledge that it is not a rational choice, any reasonable person would think that is perfectly OK.
If you want to think I am crazy and irrational, go right ahead.

When I step outside, I can see the sun, feel its warmth and I know it is daytime. It doesn't matter how many times you declare it's night, I am always going to listen to my senses.

Same with my own musical experiences. Hardware synths are different. There is a different tactile and hands-on experience. There is a different visual experience where the eyes focus at different depths on real objects rather than flickering lights on a flat plane. There are different sonic results. Some hardware has no software equivalent, and so on. For me, and based on my own direct experience, these things are as collectively obvious as whether it is day or night.

Now, you may have different experiences/interests/methods than I do. Just like you might live in a different time zone (say Australia) and for you it might well be night. Your difficulty arises because you think there is only one time zone and if it is night for you, it must be night for everyone.

Me, I enjoy my hardware synths. They do stuff that software doesn't. I also enjoy my software synths. They do unique cool stuff too. With all of these tools I am creative and productive and have lots of fun in the doing of it. Apparently I like being crazy! :tu:

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 amI am assuming you have never actually used one? It's the best designed UX and the best synth I have ever played. Not the thread for singing the praises of the Hydrasynth, but if you ever get the chance, try one for 30 minutes. The keybed is great (the polyphonic AT is a dream) and the ribbon is also surprisingly useful! The OLED screens, high-resolution encoders with LED rings and architecture based 'module select' buttons make programming very easy (and manual free!).
Okay... you have sold me on the Hydrasynth. I'm buying one. If I don't like it, i will be blaming you for a long time to come! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 amI am assuming you have never actually used one? It's the best designed UX and the best synth I have ever played. Not the thread for singing the praises of the Hydrasynth, but if you ever get the chance, try one for 30 minutes. The keybed is great (the polyphonic AT is a dream) and the ribbon is also surprisingly useful! The OLED screens, high-resolution encoders with LED rings and architecture based 'module select' buttons make programming very easy (and manual free!).
Okay... you have sold me on the Hydrasynth. I'm buying one. If I don't like it, i will be blaming you for a long time to come! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
:clap: You will love it- based on other posts I have read of yours I would of said it was made for you!

The CV side is a massive bonus (a lot of synths have CV out to use as a CV controller, but CV in opens up using a Euroracck oscillators as part of your patch or the hydrasynth as a filter/fx (the fx are outstanding) trigger envelope gate with anything (LFO etc), scala support, step LFO (basilcay a 64 bit sequencer)...oh wait, you already said you were buying it :lol:

PS- its also a 14 bit MIDI controller with Poly AT and a ribbon that outputs CC, so you can have fun with the soft synths as well :wink:

I got mine from Juno in the UK, I asked nicely and thy did it for £1050 inc tax (just to give you a guide)

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 pm
:clap: You will love it- based on other posts I have read of yours I would of said it was made for you!

The CV side is a massive bonus (a lot of synths have CV out to use as a CV controller, but CV in opens up using a Euroracck oscillators as part of your patch or the hydrasynth as a filter/fx (the fx are outstanding) trigger envelope gate with anything (LFO etc), scala support, step LFO (basilcay a 64 bit sequencer)...oh wait, you already said you were buying it :lol:

PS- its also a 14 bit MIDI controller with Poly AT and a ribbon that outputs CC, so you can have fun with the soft synths as well :wink:

I got mine from Juno in the UK, I asked nicely and thy did it for £1050 inc tax (just to give you a guide)
Does it have chaining? What I mean is, if one were to buy the keyboard and the desktop, can they be chained as one 16 voice synth? (like you can do with the OB-6 - 6+6 there)

I don't currently have a satisfying keyboard controller. So yeah, using it as a controller interests me too.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Does it have chaining? What I mean is, if one were to buy the keyboard and the desktop, can they be chained as one 16 voice synth? (like you can do with the OB-6 - 6+6 there)

I don't currently have a satisfying keyboard controller. So yeah, using it as a controller interests me too.
I believe so - I read you can daisy chain the module version with the keyboard one to make a 16 voice version. The module version with its poly pressure pads is also pretty cool!

Can Phase Plant do Super Saws?

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm Can Phase Plant do Super Saws?
https://youtu.be/v2NeUeplghM

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:46 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm Can Phase Plant do Super Saws?
https://youtu.be/v2NeUeplghM
Well, yes, then it's obviously better than Zebra 2, quod erat demonstrandum...

Return to “Instruments”