24" scale guitars? (jags..?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRAF
6403 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm

guitars like fender jaguars or jagmasters, anyone got any opinions?

do they really feel that different to guitars with more conventional scales ('easier' to play)? does the tone suffer too much? wish i could find one locally to try...

cheers,
.g
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

KVRAF
4103 posts since 10 Oct, 2002 from Nashville, TN USA

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 pm

When tuned to standard pitch, the strings on a shorter-scale guitar feel more bendy. It has to do with the mass of the string relative to its length.

KVRAF
4103 posts since 10 Oct, 2002 from Nashville, TN USA

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 pm

KVRian
1468 posts since 8 Jan, 2008

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Just to add a different dimension on the same topic, I had Fender Musicmaster Bass (i.e. short scale) that I just loved. (My brother absconded it. :cry: ) Personally, I didn't boo-hoo the fact that I was playing a shorty...just like me guitah.
I've got nothing to sell...am I on the right site?

KVRist
474 posts since 1 May, 2005 from Sweden

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Jags are wonderful IMO. The scale isn't that much smallen than a les paul really.
The strings gets more "bendy" though. That's why thicker strings are recommended on such guitars.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

6403 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks, I appreciate the physics of a shorter scale (less tension so slacker/bendier...), I think what I really meant was how do people find them in daily use? Obviously you're not going to get that same tele/strat twang from a shorter scale but does that matter? Do they do clean & jangly ok? (which is a really dumb question considering some Rick's are shortscale... :D)

Aw whatever, probably an unanswerable question, just ignore me... :)

Cheers,
.g
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

KVRAF
2762 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:22 am

You can usually "make up" for shorter scale lengths by using heavier strings.

I myself use .11s with a wound G on my telecaster (which is a moderately heavy string gauge on a fender scale guitar, so as you can probably guess I like my strings to be nice and firm, not bendy/floppy at all)

Resident Cellist
539 posts since 11 Mar, 2002 from Ireland

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:10 pm

surely the "stop" has to be different too ..

as in the finger spacings ?

KVRAF
6179 posts since 4 Oct, 2007 from Escaped At Last

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 pm

www.warmoth.com

they will make and describe the whole process for you and the amount of wood they pack is insane! but seriously they are the neck men and will sort it out and make sure it is exactly what you want

ive been playing along time and encountered total shit and total gold mines over the years and warmoth are a gold mine

just at least check em out :D

KVRer
13 posts since 2 Mar, 2021 from Southport, UK

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 am

I played a Musicmaster Bass for many years too - struggled to find the right strings for a while then came across some Russian made round-wound that were (and stayed) a really bright yellowy-silver colour. God knows what they were made of buy I loved the sound 8)
zedstarr HQ
zedstarr sounds
32.45% of statistics are made up on the spot...

KVRer
9 posts since 20 Mar, 2021

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm

I prefer shorter scale length guitars. Ibanez has a few very short scales out, also Sterling came out with a new Cutlass model that is a short length

KVRAF
4370 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Holy Nekro!

Talking of Nekro, how ya doin' buddy if you reading? Hope you and yours are well! :hug:

As for guitar scales, well, yeah, let's generalize here.

You got your Gibsons which are 24.75" scaled, then you got your Fenders which are 25.5" scaled. Big generalization. But yeah, if you are talking about Les Pauls - most are 24.75" and if we are talking about Stratocasters, most are 25.5".

Gibson used to have the classic 335 at 25.5" iirc, but cut it back down to their usual 24.75". I know this (if I am correct, I may not be) because I have a 335 made by Revelation and it's a 25" scale exactly. Superb. Absolutely superb. That little quarter of an inch makes a difference for me, whilst I don't have big hands, I have fairly slender finger (not long, just average) and I favour this length.

I favour Fender scales overall. It was great learning on a Les Paul (copy), but really I like the ability to use heavier gauge strings and to be able to smack the hell out of that bitch! I also like to be sensitive sometimes and this scale allows that as well. I have a Tele with a very high action - this I use for bottle/blues/spanking/beating. I then have a Tele with a very fine action - this I use for general sweet guitar playing. Nice stuff. I have it set up so it is like butter under the fingers. I don't play. I glide.

Epiphone were doing a very nice 335 copy at the time I bought my 335 by Revelation - but it was 24.75" scale. I really love the fact I can use 10s or even 11's on this guitar.

Having said all that, my most precious guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It's not from the higher range. It's a basic $1000 bucks Gibson. But I love me dem P90's. The pups on my 335 are something special as well, made by Alan Entwistle (look him up) of Revelation guitar fame. You can buy from here: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/

https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/our ... entwistle/

I don't think it was an arbitrary decision to take the 335 back up to 25" scale, closer to its original length - well, half way there at least - a great compromise.

Yes, length matters a lot! It's really surprising just how much those extra few mm's count

I also have a 3/4 scale copy of a Fender Precision. And that is great to play. More twangy and in your face than a full scale Fender. A Full scale Fender Precision copy was my first ever guitar (well, bass), I then traded that in for a Les Paul (copy). Out of the frying pan, and in to the great unknown...

Even after many decades of playing both bass and guitar (thousands of hours clocked on both) I still get a fright and an adrenaline rush when I switch over from a full scale Fender Precision (copy) to my Gibson Les Paul!

It's not easy!

:help:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”