Help Removing Weird Phaser/LFO Effect From System-8 Bass Patch

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I made a really cool saw bass on Roland Cloud's System-8 VST. However, it has some really weird LFO/phaser effect that makes the high end fade in and out periodically. I want to remove this effect entirely but have no idea how to do that. Tried setting the LFO to 0 and it still is happening.

If anyone knows how to help, that would be amazing. I've attached a screenshot of the patch in the VST here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can you post a sound example? For those who don't own System-8, but might know the answer anyway.

I have a feeling that what you're describing is the totally normal cancelling out of the waveforms when detuned oscillators beat against each other. It happens more drastically when there's some kind of saturation in the signal path, which I assume is the case with the System-8.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:25 pm Can you post a sound example? For those who don't own System-8, but might know the answer anyway.

I have a feeling that what you're describing is the totally normal cancelling out of the waveforms when detuned oscillators beat against each other. It happens more drastically when there's some kind of saturation in the signal path, which I assume is the case with the System-8.
Here you go: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ych862h6 ... s.mp3/file
As you can hear, it has a very weird phaser effect that makes it fade in and out which I am trying to get rid of.

Yeah, I can hear it. Frankly, I'm stumped for an answer though. I'm not familiar with the System-8. In your picture, it looks like as if the waveform for oscillator 1 is a double square, so, the only thing I could imagine is some kind of waveform cancellation which causes this. But, I don't know for sure.

Actually, listenting to it again, it sounds as if the sawtooth is cancelled out, because, at some point, you only hear the square wave. You could try to mute oscillators 1 and 3, and listen to what's going on with the sawtooth oscillator.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah, I can hear it. Frankly, I'm stumped for an answer though. I'm not familiar with the System-8. In your picture, it looks like as if the waveform for oscillator 1 is a double square, so, the only thing I could imagine is some kind of waveform cancellation which causes this. But, I don't know for sure.

Actually, listenting to it again, it sounds as if the sawtooth is cancelled out, because, at some point, you only hear the square wave. You could try to mute oscillators 1 and 3, and listen to what's going on with the sawtooth oscillator.
Thank you. I will try this out and get back to you. So you don't think it's something to do with the LFO?

For anyone else familiar with this VST / synthesizer, could you please help me out if you see this? Thank you!

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah, I can hear it. Frankly, I'm stumped for an answer though. I'm not familiar with the System-8. In your picture, it looks like as if the waveform for oscillator 1 is a double square, so, the only thing I could imagine is some kind of waveform cancellation which causes this. But, I don't know for sure.

Just tried this out - no matter what I change the wave to for the oscillators, this odd phaser effect still exists. I have no idea what this could causing this... I've tried tinkering with all the settings and it still exists no matter what. Quite frustrating! I'm just trying to get a stable powerful saw bass and with this issue it ruins the purpose of this sound I spent quite some time making. :(

jamesjams1212 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 pm So you don't think it's something to do with the LFO?
Do you have the LFO modulating anything? I can't make it out from the screenshot...

Also make sure that the modulation wheel on your MIDI keyboard (if you have one) is on position 0 (all the way to the bottom). Could be that the mod wheel is connected to some modulation on the synth.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:40 pm
jamesjams1212 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 pm So you don't think it's something to do with the LFO?
Do you have the LFO modulating anything? I can't make it out from the screenshot...

Also make sure that the modulation wheel on your MIDI keyboard (if you have one) is on position 0 (all the way to the bottom). Could be that the mod wheel is connected to some modulation on the synth.
Honestly I have no idea :?
I just messed around with some basic preset and made this patch... my knowledge of LFO and LFO modulation is very minimal. Also, it's not my MIDI keyboard because it does this when it's not even plugged. Aggravating!

No idea then, sorry. Hope someone who owns System-8 can clear it up.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:55 pm No idea then, sorry. Hope someone who owns System-8 can clear it up.
No problem! Thank you for trying to help.

I hope someone familiar with the vst/synth sees this... it seems to be prevalent in quite a few other patches in it. Weird.

I don't see a preset named Sample Bass in System-8 here. Is that one you created?

Examigan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:59 pm I don't see a preset named Sample Bass in System-8 here. Is that one you created?
It was customized from this preset collection that Roland Cloud released. Check the attached screenshot.

Is there a way for me to export my patch and send it to you to check it out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I read elsewhere that it might be a detune issue, so I fixed all the tune and set all the sliders to 0 and set the color from both oscillators to the same value. The phase is less, but still occurs. Does anyone have the System-8 VST that could have a direct look at my patch to figure out why it's still phasing?

I have the plugin (as part of the Pro subscription) but haven’t used it yet so I’m not sure which setting it may be.

What happens if you turn off sync and then mute osc 2 or whatever it's syncing to?

Return to “Instruments”