Help me identify the VSTs, samples, instruments used in an old game soundtrack!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wondering if anyone can identify what was used to compose Mabinogi's official soundtrack. Been trying to figure this out for a long time but I figured someone might be able to tell by ear.

Here's an example song that incorporates some of the sounds I'm interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hdTyle52w

Specifically the piano, the bell synth and the strings used in that above track are used all over the soundtrack.

The reason why I'm so curious is because I recently lived in Japan for a year, and random grocery stores would have songs playing that used the piano from this soundtrack. I figured it had to come from some VST or pack somewhere. I've also heard some stuff from this in other game soundtracks from JRPGs and the like. If you know what it is, then let me know!

The high tinkly stuff is redolent of Yamaha FM synthesis. Also the sort of marimba wash at the beginning may be approached nicely from that vantage point. It could just be someone's DX7. In software, FM 8 or people seem to like the free 'Dexed'. There are others. Not a difficult set of sounds to access today.

i don't hear anything particularly exotic that couldnt be produce with general midi sounds. ;ie a GM synth and a good GM soundfont.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The piano (and possibly other sounds) could be something from the factory sample banks of an early 2000s workstation. Korg had the Triton and Roland had the original Fathom. Or maybe they were an from an E-Mu rack.

I'd look at YouTube since a lot of those presets are on there. A lot of E-Mu samples are also available for sale at various sites.

Sound like a sound canvas to me, the drums sound like the 'POWER' drum set too. Probably a SC-55 or SC-88

M1+Dexed will get you close.

Irate_Wombat_dot_com wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 am The piano (and possibly other sounds) could be something from the factory sample banks of an early 2000s workstation. Korg had the Triton and Roland had the original Fathom. Or maybe they were an from an E-Mu rack.

I'd look at YouTube since a lot of those presets are on there. A lot of E-Mu samples are also available for sale at various sites.
This is definitely it. The Korg Triton has a bunch of the instruments from this soundtrack. It was this, in tandem (probably) with the SC-55 for drums that comprised the soundtrack for this game. Thank you so much! You've ended a years-long search for me.

I noticed the mallet, synth bell and piano sounds from the Korg Triton for sure.

Return to “Instruments”