How to create sound like in Kosmonova Ayla which is in background?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys. I like this sound from track Kosmonova - Ayla. It's not the main sound but it's perfect for background melody.
Best heard from 15 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSql-AlijdQ

There's clearly a gating effect with the classical trance rhythm on it, a filter seems somewhat automated on a rather wide sound as a phaser slowly sweeps through...
I will try this one because I like it and it's my kind of genre.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

Thanks. I didn't know you could get something similar with the Trance Gate effect.
I thought that this effect could be achieved by creating an arpeggio with chords on a piano roll, but it sounded a bit different.

I found tutorial how to make a Trance Gate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpS2FNGnMds

A1TriggerGate is free and quite nifty for making the rhythmic patterns.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

hinson wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 pm Thanks. I didn't know you could get something similar with the Trance Gate effect.
I thought that this effect could be achieved by creating an arpeggio with chords on a piano roll, but it sounded a bit different.
Yeah, it's basically "chopping up" your audio vs. playing single notes. You can get a similar effect, but, it's kind of pointless, unless you want to use a filter envelope for every note, or something like that. Trance gated sounds are mostly pad sounds, which are chopped up by a gate effect.

Some synths already allow that with onboard means. In Spire, for example, you can modulate the oscillator mix with the arpeggiator, or one of the steppers.

Oh and don't forget that phaser on the chord of the pad
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

You can do it with an LFO in Vital or Serum so you can include this effect in the patch itself and I'm still trying to figure out the details of the sound itself. The gater thing is the least problematic part I think.
Other than that it's also not THAT problematic to just type in the notes in your DAW with the right lengths, automate their volume a bit and let it repeat (copy-paste-done!). You won't need filter envelopes on every note, no. Just automations on the volume and let it repeat all along...
A third possibility still is to use those plugins for gating effects but this means another plugin on your CPU...
I would have recommended TriggerGate as well since it's the best free plugin. There's something from Melda as well but it doesn't really work on my laptop and I never figured out why. Maybe it's not that free after all. Then there's Gatekeeper which might be the best, but it's commercial and this in my opinion just sucks! If you wanna go professional and you have too much money, that might be the right one for you, though.
Possibility number 2 is still the best one for your CPU, but number 1 (just integrate it into the patch) I'll choose in sound design, just for the challenge and for learning purposes. This is an optional thing, though.

It's a pad sound, alright, but how exactly can it be recreated? - That's the question here! I'll try to do it and if I should despair I hope that Choos (or someone else as well for a change?) will come to the rescue again. He's kind of my teacher I've found on kvraudio. Don't worry if it takes me a while. That's just because I'm doing many things in parrallel atm but I will try.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

I start from scratch so bear with me but at the very end it's pretty close.
I have 0 reverb on it or any other "enhancements" so you'll want to use it in post for your own song but this is pretty much it.
The real difference will be in the phaser you use.
and forgive my lack of knowledge of recognizing chords as those few minutes in the video will be painful to watch.
Oh and as soon as you open up A1TriggerGate it's the exact preset.
https://vimeo.com/538387956

I won't watch this until I've tried real hard to do this myself so I can compare my results with you, but thanks in advance Choos!

I have one more question because I'm still a little confused.
Is Trance Gate also used in this Sylver Livin 'My life remix?

Melody from 1:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNhPqaw7s0I

I remember that I tried to recreate this melody by arranging midi files on a piano roll and I failed and wondered how short notes they use to achieve such an effect.

Yes
you could program it in but these typical effects would mostly be done with a simple gate effect plugin

juno987654321 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:20 pm You can do it with an LFO in Vital or Serum so you can include this effect in the patch itself and I'm still trying to figure out the details of the sound itself. The gater thing is the least problematic part I think.
Other than that it's also not THAT problematic to just type in the notes in your DAW with the right lengths, automate their volume a bit and let it repeat (copy-paste-done!). You won't need filter envelopes on every note, no. Just automations on the volume and let it repeat all along...
A third possibility still is to use those plugins for gating effects but this means another plugin on your CPU...
I would have recommended TriggerGate as well since it's the best free plugin. There's something from Melda as well but it doesn't really work on my laptop and I never figured out why. Maybe it's not that free after all. Then there's Gatekeeper which might be the best, but it's commercial and this in my opinion just sucks! If you wanna go professional and you have too much money, that might be the right one for you, though.
Possibility number 2 is still the best one for your CPU, but number 1 (just integrate it into the patch) I'll choose in sound design, just for the challenge and for learning purposes. This is an optional thing, though.

It's a pad sound, alright, but how exactly can it be recreated? - That's the question here! I'll try to do it and if I should despair I hope that Choos (or someone else as well for a change?) will come to the rescue again. He's kind of my teacher I've found on kvraudio. Don't worry if it takes me a while. That's just because I'm doing many things in parrallel atm but I will try.
Thanks

CHOOS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:28 pm I start from scratch so bear with me but at the very end it's pretty close.
I have 0 reverb on it or any other "enhancements" so you'll want to use it in post for your own song but this is pretty much it.
The real difference will be in the phaser you use.
and forgive my lack of knowledge of recognizing chords as those few minutes in the video will be painful to watch.
Oh and as soon as you open up A1TriggerGate it's the exact preset.
https://vimeo.com/538387956
This super good! I was actually looking something similar from another song and didn't know how to get the right "efefct". But here it is!! Very nice :clap:

hinson wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:37 pm I have one more question because I'm still a little confused.
Is Trance Gate also used in this Sylver Livin 'My life remix?

Melody from 1:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNhPqaw7s0I

I remember that I tried to recreate this melody by arranging midi files on a piano roll and I failed and wondered how short notes they use to achieve such an effect.
Yep, that's definitely a Trance Gate effect.

That's right! In the example from hinson we can even hear the exact same rhythmic pattern again, consisting of a short note, short pause, short note, short pause, longer note, longer pause (about twice as long each). This has become a stock pattern in the Trance genre so you'll notice it in many songs and the list would be endless.

Return to “Sound Design”