XILS-lab KaoX coming soon ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, please email Xils with your issues. When I brought this thread to Xavier's attention he said nobody had reported anything at that time.
A well-behaved signature.

I did.

For the more curious about the implementation of the Fm in GS1 there is a free emulation here https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/

in this one they pronounce it as cow-x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0VnCY8PKc

polarsky wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:05 pm in this one they pronounce it as cow-x
Pretty sure that's an AI voice, they also say X...I...L...S... labs.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I have to say I really like the core sound that comes out of this synth in particular "keys" and "plucks" patches - sounds great

Filter sounds very nice too

Haven't managed to work out how to program/use yet though !

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm
Wait, how is it pronounced? Zils?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I've been in contact with Xavier regarding my pedal issues and he is working on those bugs. Hopefully there'll be a new 1.0.1 tomorrow.

That's world class support in my book.

Meanwhile I talked to a friend who was a well known FM-sounddesigner back in the day and used to do sounddesign for Yamaha. Unfortunately my apprehensions seem to be true: There is no documentation whatsoever of the original GS-1 presets. So I started to work on a couple of E-Piano patches (think Yellowjackets, Robben Ford).

While doing that I discovered the shere power of KaoX. I mean you have two layers with 8 OP each. That allows for really gigantic FM sounds that go way beyond the stuff you can do with all those DX7 clones, let alone all this 4OP VSTis. And then you haven't even touched the Caos OSCs and the "normal" Oscillators.

Until Yamaha releases a emulation of the FS1R, KaoX will be the most powerful FM VSTi ever.

I haven't heard anything that impressed me from this synth.

Maybe those who like it can post some examples.

Muziksculp wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 pm I haven't heard anything that impressed me from this synth.

Maybe those who like it can post some examples.
Why not try it yourself?

An independent developer/small company has put a lot of time into the development of an instrument. Your comment sounds snide and disrespectful. I find it inappropriate.
And no, the presets don't convince me either, but the synthesizer has a lot of potential to create your own sounds. The architecture of the sound synthesis is sophisticated, but certainly not to master in 5 minutes. But that's actually the great thing about it.

I only just discovered this - a bit expensive for me but I like the idea of it. Shame about the interface which I dont think I could live with. The fake wood is just too much for me - I think it will always give me an uncanny valley feeling and weirdly morphing into the cool blues of the flat programming panel only compounds that. Shame, but if it comes up at a good price in a sale I might be tempted.

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 am I only just discovered this - a bit expensive for me but I like the idea of it. Shame about the interface which I dont think I could live with. The fake wood is just too much for me - I think it will always give me an uncanny valley feeling and weirdly morphing into the cool blues of the flat programming panel only compounds that. Shame, but if it comes up at a good price in a sale I might be tempted.
The fake wood makes it sound 20% more analog, but then the computer-screen panel makes it sound 15% less analog and 27% more digital.

In all seriousness, it sounds great. Xils has always been the Biz.
A well-behaved signature.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm
Wait, how is it pronounced? Zils?
That's how I've always said it, based on the grammar I was taught since kindergarten. We were taught that when X is the first letter in a word, it sounds like a Z. I've run into a lot of people who either don't remember that, or were never taught that. Probably why Patrick Stewart can't say Professor X's last name correctly, despite being an accomplished actor, and playing the character in a bunch of X Men movies.

I haven't tried KaoX, but based on the demos, and specs, I don't think it's for me. I'll spend my money on F'em the next time it's on sale; it suits my needs and wants a lot more.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Return to “Instruments”