BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

A quick update Updated version of the plugin will follow in a couple of weeks, maybe next weekend. So far I did all the basics but still have some things to test.
Major cnanges are:
1. improved chord detection logic, made in collaboration with phreaque
2. Windows XP support is back (not sure if anyone still needs it though)
(I checked last version working in XP was 2.10)

Regarding Windows XP support, I needed it for a reason I will reveal later. I don't use XP myself and it was quite a challenge. Since I'm using VS2015, in theory it still supports compiling code for XP, but in practice it just doesn't work. I had to rip some stuff from VS2013 package and install older windows SDK, but now XP support is back and it will go on as long I use VS2015 (I'm reluctant to upgrade, cause it always becomes slower and worse). Before that I had to upgrade from VS2010 only because I needed that to compile my code for the hardware version.

Also lots of minor changes here and there, I'll write it down to change log later.

What about Apple Silicon native support?

I'll just put it here... VST3..?
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:20 pm I'll just put it here... VST3..?
Technically ready, I think to upload 1st VST3 beta in a few weeks as well.
I think for VST3 it is enough to have just x64 version, or someone needs a 32-bit VST3?

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm What about Apple Silicon native support?
Not in the near future, because:
1. It will require me to buy one, my primary platform is windows and I have older i5 mac mini just to compile bluearp for OSX
2. BlueARP is very easy on CPU, so performance advantages of native M1 version will be neglegible

graywolf2004 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 am
thebutler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:20 pm I'll just put it here... VST3..?
Technically ready, I think to upload 1st VST3 beta in a few weeks as well.
I think for VST3 it is enough to have just x64 version, or someone needs a 32-bit VST3?
Nice. 32bit = not needed for me.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

graywolf2004 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm What about Apple Silicon native support?
Not in the near future, because:
1. It will require me to buy one, my primary platform is windows and I have older i5 mac mini just to compile bluearp for OSX
2. BlueARP is very easy on CPU, so performance advantages of native M1 version will be neglegible
Understandable...

update: BlueARP v2.3.5
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

from the changeLog
--- BlueARP v2.3.5 / 18-Apr-2021
1. Added "rotate keys" option in input filter section. Experimental.
2. Improved chord detection logic, made in collaboration with Saif Sameer (aka phreaque at kvr)
3. Improved chord-derived scales (still experimental, but should give more musical result)
4. Introducing VST3 version for both Windows and OSX (yet beta, may be much buggier than VST2)
5. Windows XP support is back (for 32-bit VST2 only). Tested in WinXP SP3
6. GUI optimization: now BlueARP will load GUI and create all GUI elements only on 1st editor opening, otherwise it won't load GUI, it speeds loading each instance a bit (for 0.2 .. 0.6 seconds)
7. New "Channel per step" option. GATE TIME lane now has a switch, can be switched to channel per step mode.
8. Plugin ID changed from '7dWx' to 'BArp' (VST2) to make it uniform for all versions

PS Please do some tests and write back it VST3 works, good to check VST2 as well. I had a lot of changes and refactorings since the previous version.
I'm thinking about a comprehensive video manual for BlueARP, but yet too busy with the other stuff.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

:tu:

I'll give the VST3 a go.

Just wondering, but, do the VST2 and VST3 have different plugin ID's? My DAW will probably only show the VST3 if they are the same.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:10 pm Just wondering, but, do the VST2 and VST3 have different plugin ID's? My DAW will probably only show the VST3 if they are the same.
Oh, good question. Actually now plugin iID for all versions is the same - BArp. Before it was different for vst2, it was 7dWx. At least FL gives a sh&t about 4-letter id and only cares about the name. Hope other DAWs do so as well. Otherwise in theory it may treat vst2 from this version as a different plugin.

Thanks. I only installed the VST3 version now. Seems to work fine, although, on the first loading, Studio One 4 Pro 64-bit (Windows 10) didn't show the GUI. Had to close the plugin window, and re-open it, and then it showed the GUI. I'll test some more.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm Thanks. I only installed the VST3 version now. Seems to work fine, although, on the first loading, Studio One 4 Pro 64-bit (Windows 10) didn't show the GUI. Had to close the plugin window, and re-open it, and then it showed the GUI. I'll test some more.
Yeah, will be great if you make a short video describing this pattern. I guess it is because of this last GUI optimization - BlueARP waits for some call from the host (like onEditorWindowOpen) and inside this call it initializes all its GUI stuff. Likely here this call is missing on the 1st load

For Mac users - does anyone have OSX below 10.7 Lion? In theory, VST2 and MIDI-FX should work on OSX as low as 10.5 Leopard, but VST3 will require 10.7 Lion. Cause I had to turn on C++11 support in xcode to compile VST3 libraries. On my i5 mac mini, I have OSX El Capitan. OSX 10.13 High Sierra is the highest possible version for my mac mini, but it is so much slower than El Capitan that a few years ago I downgraded.
And also I wonder it there anyone here still using Windows XP? I can't imagine anyone using it on a primary PC, but I can think of using it on a dedicated PC to run a few older softsynths.

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm Thanks. I only installed the VST3 version now. Seems to work fine, although, on the first loading, Studio One 4 Pro 64-bit (Windows 10) didn't show the GUI. Had to close the plugin window, and re-open it, and then it showed the GUI. I'll test some more.
Yeah, will be great if you make a short video describing this pattern. I guess it is because of this last GUI optimization - BlueARP waits for some call from the host (like onEditorWindowOpen) and inside this call it initializes all its GUI stuff. Likely here this call is missing on the 1st load
I made a video showing the issue. It's nothing fancy really, to reproduce, just create a new project, add an instance of BlueARP, which opens the GUI, or tries to do so. Then you close the window again, re-open it, and then it shows the BlueARP GUI correctly. This happens with every new instance of BlueARP you add, by the way.

The DAW is Studio One 4 Pro, version 4.6.2.58729 (current version). Windows 10, 64-bit. And, the computer is an Intel Xeon E3-1230v3, with a Nividia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card.

I don't have the issue on Cubase AI 11, by the way, on the same computer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V7LMqN ... sp=sharing

Return to “Instruments”