tomtom1's VULCAN - follow up to broken music - retro IDMish - programmed in Reason

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi all,
after some people liked the last track ( i was really surprised... i am very critical of myself), i felt encouraged to expand it a bit. As far as mixing is concerned, I've tried my best: I can't do better ... that's all I can do at the moment.

leave a few comments and have a good time. I made the noise at the beginning a little louder so that nobody would think of starting listening too loud ... maybe not the best idea. like always everything is programmed in Reason (i have no other...). not the best programm - but not the worst too :)

Do not hold back when it comes to the comments. but don't unpack your bazooka. that scared me a little when I saw this elsewhere ... :-o

have a nice day, rock on :band2: and stay healthy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegdEvc9T00
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

will listen upstairs, title got my attention.
i once got a bus to a town not far from here, called vulcan.
for no reason other than, i can say "ive been to vulcan"

im not even a star trek fan, star wars is my thing! but there's no tattooine or endor near here :shrug:

/puts away bazzookas, rocket launchers, warhammers and swords...

i like it as it is, has a slight nightmares on wax vibe :tu:

but if i was doing it, i think id make the drums the main thing!
bring them right up, give them "power"
and have the lovely synth stuff as more supportive.

but then its a different track :shrug:
like i said, like it as it is, but i got ideas too while listening :D

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 pm /puts away bazzookas, rocket launchers, warhammers and swords...

i like it as it is, has a slight nightmares on wax vibe :tu:

but if i was doing it, i think id make the drums the main thing!
bring them right up, give them "power"
and have the lovely synth stuff as more supportive.

but then its a different track :shrug:
like i said, like it as it is, but i got ideas too while listening :D
nightmares on wax? never heard of them... sounds interesting - have to check it out.
thanks for listening and your comments.

but WHAT? drums more dominant? - synths supporting? - :tantrum: ah no ... maybe you are right but sorry i can't do that. then it wouldn't be me. i am a harmony guy. do you know aphex twin's druqks? i listened to it as a teenager, fantastic... but i always thougth: why man, are the drums so dominant? ... it is like i would suggest you, to make shorter tracks... aem... wait... there... oh...
i am offline now... bye bye :D
myself in 2022

nightmares on wax are another warp act funnily enough, but the mellower end of warp 8)
carboot soul or smokers delight are two albums worth checking (pootube has em).

and yes, of course! i wasn't telling you what you should do, just what i would have done. so no, i wasn't right :P

neither is correct or more correct than the other, except, it's your track :tu:

i guess my point is, that's the beauty of music, so many ways to hear and play the same piece, putting "our voice" in to it, as i said, then, it would be a different track ;)

Very 1990s in certain ways...Warp records et al?

Glitchy electronica can work very effectively or be total shite! This is the former...particularly cos of the melodic content i think?

Drums were fine for me...bit more cowbell, maybe? :) :) :)
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Tue May 04, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 pm Very 1990s in certain ways...Warp records et al?

Glitchy electronica can work very effective or be total shite! This is the former...particularly cos of the melodic content i think?

hi mark, thanks for listening.
oh sh***, i am just 30 years to late with it :D what would happenened if i made this 30years ago ??

i think the harmonies hold it together. i love them, even if it is a bit conceited to write it about my own piece.

btw. what's up with the cowbell joke? i read this elsewhere, but i never understood what ppl mean...
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 pm Very 1990s in certain ways...Warp records et al?

Glitchy electronica can work very effective or be total shite! This is the former...particularly cos of the melodic content i think?

hi mark, thanks for listening.
oh sh***, i am just 30 years to late with it :D what would happenened if i made this 30years ago ??

i think the harmonies hold it together. i love them, even if it is a bit conceited to write it about my own piece.

btw. what's up with the cowbell joke? i read this elsewhere, but i never understood what ppl mean...
Cowbell joke... No idea how it started on KVR, but it's been around for years now... You'll get 'wagbell' from Layzer as well!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:37 pm nightmares on wax are another warp act funnily enough, but the mellower end of warp 8)
carboot soul or smokers delight are two albums worth checking (pootube has em).
checked it out. a bit too soft for my taste (and too jazzy... :) ).
anyway thanks for the reommendation - it's nice to see/hear something new; something outside of my own "bubble".
myself in 2022

Really good stuff! I'm with vurt on the drums thing, but like he said, it's your track. :) It definitely didn't ruin it for me. You really nailed the old-school IDM thing here.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:22 pm Really good stuff! I'm with vurt on the drums thing, but like he said, it's your track. :) It definitely didn't ruin it for me. You really nailed the old-school IDM thing here.
hey thanks for listening and your comment. glad you liked it. yes ( i agree somehow...) it would be even more authentic in terms of style if the drums were more in the "foreground" - but then it would actually no longer be my track and personally I would probably no longer like it :D
myself in 2022

tomtom,
Sounds like Star Wars aliens/robots on the intro (good). I work for Vulcan Materials Company. I didn't feel the drums needed to be louder. I think this could work well with a video. I think I hear Mellotron type stuff. Sounds pretty good. Perhaps you could check out my latest song, it's probably on page 2 now.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:41 am
synthgeek wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:22 pm Really good stuff! I'm with vurt on the drums thing, but like he said, it's your track. :) It definitely didn't ruin it for me. You really nailed the old-school IDM thing here.
hey thanks for listening and your comment. glad you liked it. yes ( i agree somehow...) it would be even more authentic in terms of style if the drums were more in the "foreground" - but then it would actually no longer be my track and personally I would probably no longer like it :D
your drums are authentic too!
just the more mellow end of idm, your track is indeed perfect as it is :tu:

it just inspired me to think of "remixing" it kind of. and how i would possibly do this!
the reason i actually went down this route, was otherwise i was just saying "nice track" as there was nothing to critique :)
it was never about telling you how you should do it, im sorry if it came across that way :)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:09 pm
tomtom1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:41 am
your drums are authentic too!
just the more mellow end of idm, your track is indeed perfect as it is :tu:

it just inspired me to think of "remixing" it kind of. and how i would possibly do this!
the reason i actually went down this route, was otherwise i was just saying "nice track" as there was nothing to critique :)
it was never about telling you how you should do it, im sorry if it came across that way :)
hi vurt. is already OK.
I recently found a list of the 100 best idm tracks from fact magazine and listened to it a little. it is already the case that back then the harmonies were often quite simple and then the musicians "let off steam" with the drum tracks. I am therefore not surprised that some people think the drums should be more dominant.

But it wasn't my attempt to copy anything (this time definitely not :D) - i made my own thing - so it is okay for me if you express your opinion or views or feelings - that can sometimes be very useful, too - you come up with new ideas and that will maybe influence some future ideas of my own.
:tu:
myself in 2022

aaron aardvark wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:48 pm tomtom,
Sounds like Star Wars aliens/robots on the intro (good). I work for Vulcan Materials Company. I didn't feel the drums needed to be louder. I think this could work well with a video. I think I hear Mellotron type stuff. Sounds pretty good. Perhaps you could check out my latest song, it's probably on page 2 now.
hi aaron,
thanks for your comment and listening. I wasn't sure if it is "vulcan" or "vulcano" in english... but i didn't like the sound of "vulcano" :D - mellotron? maybe you think of the strings, but these are just really badly sampled strings - and then an effect on top of the whole track that the pitch is drifting all the time. the other harmonies - "pad-like" stuff are made with Europa (it is a stock synth of Reason).
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”