Ocean Swift Synthesis plugins set free!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://oceanswift.net/

Apparently they have set their entire collection free??

I tried Defiant WT a while back, wasn't impressed at all, but considering trying some of these others out.

What do you guys think of OSS plugins?

They were ok, lots of combinations of subtractive, FM and wavetable I seem to remember. Nothing really grabbed me.

Do they have their wavetables free as well (maybe they always were...)? Pretty sure they worked in Surge which could be handy.

They look good!

yes, everything is free (except scope plugins which will also be made free soon)

also - defiant was always free and just a fun synth for the community, for our more serious stuff try polyphenom2, enterprise and aeolian meditation.

Never found anything from them worth purchasing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

They're somewhat idiosyncratic which may be charming or off-putting. They've got a very normalized signal flow.

Aeolian Meditation is an interesting additive synth. This has 12 sine partials + 4 colored noise generators. Amplitude modulation by sync or amounts of a global "crawl" rate modulator on each generator, there's a flexible FM on the first/fundamental oscillator which has its own dedicated modulator. Noise generators have a modulated filter. It has FX in fixed serial order: bitcrushing, low pass, delay, chorus, reverb. There is also a mobile phone app that can connect to it via OSC protocol that adds more control and modulation. The presets sound pretty good; think long, modulated, droney, and a couple struck bells. Note it is monophonic! EDIT: Aeolian Dream Box sacrifices OSC for polyphony.

OSS Enterprise is a hybrid vector synth. Generator options are VA, digital (wavetable), and additive. The first two include 2 same-type generators that can be mixed. You have four of these generator modules that can be mixed in an XY Vector module that can be modulated. It's not a wavetable synth in the sense you can't modulate scanning, you are choosing one frame out of up to 100 frames (de facto standard 2048 sample frames). Similarly, you can edit 16 partials in the additive oscillator, but they cannot be modulated. VA oscillator has PWM, ring, and sync, but only PWM has modulation.

There is a modulator section. You can target global pitch and filter cutoffs each with their own ADSR envelope and 1 variable modulation type. Modulation types are: analog shapes, a wavetable frame, the wave result of additive partials, and your own drawing. There are two multimode filters in serial order. You can swap the cutoff and res knobs for an XY pad y you can play. FX section has a stereo panner/tremolo, delay, and chorus/phaser, which have their own internal modulation.

Overall it's focused but somewhat limited in some possibly annoying ways. There's a single velocity switch for amplitude, no way to adjust it. Again, no modulation for wavetable scanning, additive partials, individual pitch (for sync sweeps), filter resonance. The architecture, however, make it very CPU efficient. There are some nice/quirky things, like ability to draw modulation, and toggling normalization on the additive generator to get some aggressively clipped waveforms. The ability to load waveforms from a wavetable as an LFO is a plus. The controls and workflow are smooth and fast.

You can definitely get a wide range of sounds out of it, and with four generator sections you can blend, it's very capable of evolving sounds as long as you make peace with what it can't do. As a free synth it's a wonderful addition to the pantheon.
Last edited by yellowmix on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why though? They look good, maybe not u-he level, but definitely usable and buyable. Gonna give them a try. Are they going out of business or what?

Their drones sounded good to me, so I previously bought Aeolian Meditation for 20 Euros. Sorry they couldn't make it work as a business, but I will definitely be downloading the other synths.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm. As a free synth it's a wonderful addition to the pantheon.
Thank you to the developer for giving these away. The pantheon is getting very crowded but I am becoming a little anxious about so many great free synths inadequately explored. Agoraphobia?

:tu:
바보

GaryG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm Do they have their wavetables free as well (maybe they always were...)? Pretty sure they worked in Surge which could be handy.
Yes. There are 6 wavetablepacks to download for free.

I love a good ambient drone synth/vst so based on the description of Aeolian Meditation I had high hopes. After downloading and installing the tool, I messed around with lots of presets and tried manually adjusting many of the parameters. Unfortunately I didn't find many worthwhile sounds. I was easily able to find many more useable drone/ambient sounds from tools I already had ie Surge and Loom.

Return to “Instruments”