Do you buss your Kick with Bass or with Drums?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
KVRist
442 posts since 21 May, 2014

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:25 am

woah easy there bro..
Last edited by zethus909 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

KVRAF
3191 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:48 am

Have little class at least when it's obvious you are lacking enough knowledge, I'm maybe not talented EDM wonder copycat kid as you, but I compensated that with working hard and investing in my knowledge, not making most generic music and talking crap on forums.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

KVRAF
3568 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:23 am

For me, I'd not process the kick and bass together. In fact I've never done that.

While I like all my drums in a group, they are all treated as individual drums for EQ and Saturation, etc. On their own channels. And then they come together in one buss. I might add some more effects like very light compression for the 'glue' effect.

Re. Side chaining for effect or for keeping the frequencies clear so they don't overlap and cause mush down the low end.I do use it quit a bit, but it depends on what I'm going for.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

KVRAF
10540 posts since 13 Jun, 2004 from Alberto Balsam

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Robmobius wrote:For me, I'd not process the kick and bass together. In fact I've never done that.

While I like all my drums in a group, they are all treated as individual drums for EQ and Saturation, etc. On their own channels. And then they come together in one buss. I might add some more effects like very light compression for the 'glue' effect.
This is what I do for drum and bass and all breaks and rock music. Anything with a drum kit, I work upwards to a drum bus, even my individual layers (E.G. the different kicks) will get their own buses before the main drum bus. Then that drum bus is mixed with the bass which is then bussed to the larger mix/submix.

For EDM though I do it the other way - get the kick and bass to interact just right, and then add everything else on top.

KVRer
14 posts since 9 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 pm

often kick + bass and all the rest to a bus thats dyn equed in the lo end and a little bit sidechained with the kick.

i guess that gives good result for edm stuff but i managed that using some kompression on a drum buss with all drums can be nice too.

both ways do not work together but in paralell processing like mentioned above but never did this.

KVRist
210 posts since 29 Jun, 2012 from Leeds, UK

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I buss the kick with the drums.
The bass is already sidechained to the kick so I feel there is no need to buss the kick and bass together.
Occasionally I will route the drum buss and the bass together to a "drum and bass" buss, and apply some multiband compression just on the low frequencies.
Cubase user, House producer.

http://soundcloud.com/gavin-jackson

KVRian
1156 posts since 10 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 pm

usually kick stays with drums, for kit cohesion.
for acoustic-type kits, i'll usually nest busses, also.
in either case, bass is usually on its own.

arrangement, sound choices and eq are usually enough to avoid having to sidechain. i don't do dancefloor bangers, though, so...
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

KVRian
921 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:19 pm

I route all drums including kick to a buss and bass to a separate buss. More important is to make space for each sound with EQ IMO.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

KVRer
1 posts since 8 Dec, 2015

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:48 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
How to mix kick and Bass with a Eq

You can divide the Kick and the bass in 3 phases

Look at this post How to mix Kick drum and bass line

http://ibizamakingmusic.blogspot.com.es ... -bass.html (http://ibizamakingmusic.blogspot.com.es/2015/12/how-to-mix-kick-and-bass.html)

:tu:

KVRist
217 posts since 23 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:01 am

Wait, am I crazy for putting the kick on it's own channel separate from either the percussion and bass?

OFC I'm using mostly software (with only some hardware) and all my percussion is sampled... I just figured It might need different channels to easier control volume levels to balance them all.

KVRist
405 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:45 am

i use envelope shapers when i need to duck for effect

my kick is usually made up of lo kick and hi kick (lo is self made and hi is the top end of a fave sample)

lo kick + and bass to bass buss
hi kick to drum buss

i dont want my kick's bass levels dependant on what the drums are doing, so they are grouped seperate, and this makes it easier to make the kick and bass sound like they belong together, if i need to (usually dont, as i have other sends for that)

KVRAF
2883 posts since 26 Oct, 2007 from Kent, UK

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:57 am

Zexila wrote:Ever heard of shelving filter, also ever wondered how mastering engineers do it when you handle them just single wav audio mix down, think about it, don't just repeat something you heard somewhere as an ultimate truth and argument.
How mastering engineers do what exactly? I'm not sure what you're saying.

KVRer
15 posts since 6 Jan, 2016

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:23 pm

I usually want to separate kick from everything else, including the bass as much as possible. Kick is one of the most important elements (in dance music at least) and I don't want other sounds to interfere with it. I do the opposite of bussing it together. The technique is to send your kick 'outside' of your 2bus processing, this way separating it from the rest of the mix and make it cut through.
Audiotent - Helping music producers succeed.
Like on Facebook - production tips, tutorials, free samples and more...

KVRer
1 posts since 29 Dec, 2015

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

This is a great thread but at the same time, I see a lot of people trying to prove that one way is better than the other, when it´s really a question of taste. And sometimes, the most awkward stuff are the ground breaking ones. So, if it sounds good, that´s it, it doesn´t matter at all how it was done. And this is the beauty of music production, mixing, mastering and audio engineering. Obviously there are some "rules" that works for the better in the majority of situations. But sometimes, a mistake can lead into something new and sometime after, not called a "mistake" anymore.

KVRAF
3744 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:02 pm

r4ndom wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:39 pm
If so, how does this not mess up the sound?
It gets even more confusing when you add Aux channels and sidechains too.

I still haven't got my head around how to create Low / High buses at the end, so I can for example use one single highpass on all the "high" elements (ie: hihats), whilst maintaining preceding buses (ie the drum bus, which contains both low and high elements).

Return to “Production Techniques”