Nintendo sound & music creation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any good VST or standalone synths that are free that can make sounds and music for games on the NES? I just bought NESMaker last night, and wanted to find some good synths or utilities I can use to create NES sounds & music. I know of FamStudio & FamTracker for music & sfx, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

There's a free NES vst that's okay but missing a couple integral features. There's Plague Chipsynth but this is missing fine pitch adjustment so certain NES sounds aren't possible, it's also very cumbersome to program (comparable to Famitracker).

Plague is coming out with Chipsynth FC, which should be the ultimate NES emulation. That's what you probably want (and it's confirmed to have stuff missing from Chipsounds like fine pitch adjustment), but it's unlikely to come out any time soon and won't be free.

If you already have wavetable synths that can load custom wavetables (like serum or something) you can find NES wavetables in different wavetable formats pretty easily online to get that NES oscillator sound.

If you don't mind a tracker interface, there's DefleMask:

https://www.deflemask.com/
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Return to “Instruments”